What's the best all around empire you're ever had?

redwings1340

Emperor
I just finished an 1898 culture victory while researching future tech, having every single city state allied, and having taken conquered three original enemy capitals (two were taken early game), on immortal difficulty as the Inca.

I liked this game because I probably could have gotten any victory condition earlier if I tried for it, but I was having too much fun trying to get to balance out everything to care about victory. I don't know if this empire was outright better than my first deity win as Poland, but it was pretty close, and probably marked my best combination of domination/tourism/science/allies. What's your best game, the game where it seemed like everything went right, and you ended up with just a dominating all around empire that truly stood the test of time?

I haven't played a ton Civ 5 yet (being a vet of the other 4), but my best all around game was probably the game I played as Portugal, and randomly spawned on a Archipelago map. I decided to go for diplo victory, but my mid game it became clear that I could win by any victory condition. I was so rich and advanced that everything fell into place. I didn't intentionally make any kind of huge military, but was surprised to find my military (especially navy) was far more powerful than anyone elses, and there was nowhere on the globe that my fleets couldn't monitor at all times. This was most entertaining when there triggered a huge world war involving every other Civ (6 of them), and I was the only one at peace, watching it all from my global empire.

While waiting for diplo victory chance to kick in, I was engaging in a good deal of archaeology just as sort of role-playing, so my culture-tourist was getting high and I could have easily pursued it for a culture victory.

Probably my best "all around" empire in Civ 5 I can recall, but really my nice start and lucky map type and some other factors helped it into place.

Top Bottom