Map Lux Distribution

Crus8r

Chieftain
In my current game, I just got to the point of exploring the entire map and there are NO crabs anywhere on the map!! There is also only ONE sugar...and it belongs to a CS!

How often does a map generate with NO copies of a given Lux? Will my cities ever demand that Lux for WLTKD? (I've already had them demand sugar, but was able to coup the CS for that...)

It will really suck if cities can demand something that DOESN'T EVEN EXIST on the map for WLTKD...and eventually, they ALL will...

Crus8r

In my current game, I just got to the point of exploring the entire map and there are NO crabs anywhere on the map!! There is also only ONE sugar...and it belongs to a CS!
Both of these situations are pretty common. I believe there are a couple luxes that are always available *somewhere*, such as marble, but there on Standard maps at least one or two luxes seem to be missing. However, neither your cities nor city-states will ever demand a lux that didn't spawn on the map.

As for the luxes unique to city-states, that's a way to make their luxes more unique. (i.e. "If you want these sets of luxes, you need to play the city-state diplomacy game.) You'll find that there are usually 3 or 4 luxes that are unique (or almost unique) to city-states, and usually each lux will be available to several different city-states.

The luxuries that WLTKD always exist somewhere on the map in that given game. There might be only one location though.

e.g. If very early one of your cities is demanding one the Indonesian spice luxuries, you know that Indonesia is in the game (and has already founded a city on a different landmass than their capital)

A note about we love the king day, in case you dont know: your cities will always demand a resource you don't currently have for their next wltkd. This will continue to narrow to the final resource on the map. This can hurt if there is only one copy and you don't really want to do an expo just to get it (which is 99% of the time). I use great generals if possible to reach those luxes.

However, when you have connected all possible luxuries, you will be in a perpetual we love the king celebration, which is outstanding. Do not hesitate to pay 30gpt for the wltkd bonus in your capital!

You do not need to keep your lux once you've fulfilled the WLTKD requirement. So you can trade your last copy of any lux as long as you have good positive happiness, for example above 10. This way there is a chance WLTKD will ask for a lux that you recently traded away and can get it back in a few turns. The problem with this is you can't get perpetual WLTKD but it's much better than spending 28gpt to trade AI's only copy or settling a pointless city just for the lux. Also if you have a good enough army on a low enough difficulty, you can DoW AI and make peace a few turns later and ask for all their lux for peace deal for 30 turns.

In my current game, I just got to the point of exploring the entire map and there are NO crabs anywhere on the map!
Missing luxes happens often enough that I remain perplexed as to why cocoa was added into the mix with the last patch. Maybe it was an issue for larger maps?

How often does a map generate with NO copies of a given Lux?

All the time.

The number of missing lux depends on map size, for BNW
  • WORLDSIZE_DUEL = 11
  • WORLDSIZE_TINY = 8
  • WORLDSIZE_SMALL = 6
  • WORLDSIZE_STANDARD = 4
  • WORLDSIZE_LARGE = 2
  • WORLDSIZE_HUGE = 1
Placement of luxes is handled within AssignStartingPlots.lua (specifically AssignLuxuryRoles()) but the basic process is

• Marble is a special case and handled seperately.
  • Each region (major civ starting area) gets its own luxury, biased to the predominate terrain in the region - whales to tundra starts, gold/silver/copper to hill starts, incense to desert starts etc. An individual lux will appear in more than three starting regions.
  • Three (or four for large and huge maps) lux are allocated for City States.
  • A number (depending on map size, see above) of lux are then removed from those that remain.
  • The rest are scattered through the regions at random

Top Bottom