Taking Video/Help Requests (BNW)

LordBalkoth

Prince
Pretty much what the title says. I have a Civ V itch to scratch at the moment and spent some time recently knocking out a few of the Deity challenges...and now I'm looking to do something a bit different for a change in pace. I'm not at Acken/Tommynt/etc level of play but I'd be in the top few percent, at least (and without worker stealing to boot!). I also like helping people, and thus this idea sprang to mind as I already see the occasional request for stuff along these lines -- situations where people are trying to figure out if something is winnable, where they went off course during a game, what they should do next, how to go about achieving specific objectives/victory conditions, etc.

So, if you have something you'd like me to make a video of (with commentary), feel free to leave a request here (with a save game attached if applicable). This isn't some "Deity Only" thing either -- though I will "limit" it to Prince or above (meaning Prince, King, Emperor, Immortal, and Deity are all fine). And, obviously, try to be as detailed as necessary (which might range from "How do I attack city X in this game?" to "Please don't use Quick Combat/Quick Movement so I can follow what happens more easily" to "How could I have better Diplomatic relations at this point?" to whatever).

King
1. In which we deal with an aggressive France forward settling us
2. In which we declare war against the entire world and win a OOC Cultural Victory

Emperor

Immortal
1. In which we're trapped on a Continent with Assyria as the Incans and proceed to kick his ass
2. In which we get a bit too obsessed with Petra as the Mayans, make some bad early choices, and wind up fighting (and winning) a war against half the world at once

Deity
1. In which we discuss the default governor's idiocy and win an Ethiopian Science Victory as Freedom (picking up a saved game at Radio)
2. In which we win a peaceful OOC Cultural Victory as France

How about u make a Video about how do i defend my expansions against Ship of the Line(or normal Frigats) attack's if i know it's coming (expecialy the 3 ranged ones that were trained on CS) if my Capital is not on the See.
thats somthing i could need help at, because i failed to do that so far

At Deity, I think my biggest stumbling block is getting from Radio to Plastics fast enough. Peaceful CV also eludes me, but I think that could be as straightforward as hitting Internet in the early 200's. Something else I might like illustrated.

I don't have a map, but if you start with one of the DCLs, that might be a good starting point.

I would like to see...

How to get cities out quickly, especially when going for a Science Victory.

Bleidraner often talks about his goal with Science Victories is getting 4 cities out before Turn 50,...I can do it, but usually need to be assisted by something extreme like Lake Victoria, or quick Pantheon Sun God with multiple Wheat.

Maybe that is what it takes,...but it seems like he can do it pretty consistently. I would assume this is the strategy for most going with the 4 city Tradition start, but maybe that is just Bleidraner's thing.

I think a map like Great Plains, maybe Deity, Standard, Standard.

Really, the thing I would like to see the most is a current Gauntlet of higher difficulty played with strategic play by play...that way there would be motivation from what we learn,...To try it our self and get a higher board placement after using the tips provided.

How about u make a Video about how do i defend my expansions against Ship of the Line(or normal Frigats) attack's if i know it's coming (expecialy the 3 ranged ones that were trained on CS) if my Capital is not on the See.

I have a small essay I'm nearly done writing on this topic that I hope to post tonight, maybe tomorrow. Unfortunately not sure the best way to translate this topic into video form for reasons I'll mention in the written stuff, but if you can think of something specific/concrete by all means let me know.

At Deity, I think my biggest stumbling block is getting from Radio to Plastics fast enough. Peaceful CV also eludes me, but I think that could be as straightforward as hitting Internet in the early 200's. Something else I might like illustrated.

I'm...also not sure the best way to go about the Radio to Plastics bit, video wise. I mean, overall it's fairly straightforward it seems. But more importantly, it is highly dependent on your current status.

If you hit Radio on turn, say, 180 and have a size 30 capital with three size 20 cities...you're going to hit Plastics much sooner than if you hit Radio on turn 190 with a size 25 capital and three size 15 cities (note: don't read too much into those numbers, they aren't concrete at all, just illustrating the point). Perhaps we could do something like you play a game, hit Radio, post that save, you continue to Plastics, and I'll make a video of me going from Radio to Plastics and we can see what, if anything, differs?

I can also post an entire peaceful cultural victory game start to finish if you'd like. Can post an initial start with a specific Civ of your choice, can use one of the Deity challenges (though obviously not all of those exactly work for peaceful cultural victory), or can just random it up on my own. Edit: something I should clarify -- peaceful as in I never declare war or peaceful as in I never even bribe others into war?

Maybe that is what it takes,...but it seems like he can do it pretty consistently. I would assume this is the strategy for most going with the 4 city Tradition start, but maybe that is just Bleidraner's thing.

I think a map like Great Plains, maybe Deity, Standard, Standard.

Care to roll a start and post the save? Obviously if I random Russia with a hill Capital and two Horse tiles nearby I'm going to be much faster than if you roll something with no production bonus on flat start in Jungle.

Also, I would be planning on not worker stealing as I loathe the practice for at least two main reasons. That has no impact on being able to easily win Deity consistently, mind you, but it means the start is a bit slower and overall takes a bit longer.

So, about this...

What are you hoping to see in such a video? The "problem" is that Frigate/Ship of the Line rushes are something that happens in multiplayer rather than single player...not really sure how to "make" the AI do such an attack. And even if it did, it wouldn't have the 3 range units trained on CSes.

I can give you some tips to help in text form right now, though. If you have a save game where the AI attacked in such a manner I could make a video of that, sure. I could also make a video of a game where I showed the initial settling of expansion cities with an eye toward preventing frigate rushes.

Something I did in one game in multiplayer was that I literally never settled a coastal city on the continents map. Had my capital inland and my other three cities all had at least two tiles between them and the sea because I was sure at least one person would try to Frigate rush. Sure enough, the person in the "lead" on the other continent tried to Frigate rush me right on schedule...and immediately rage quit because he saw that I had zero cities he could even attack. All those hammers and diverting from the ideal tech route...wasted.

In terms of specific tips, though, those would fall into at least two main categories: terrain and units.

Terrain
The problem here is that terrain will wildly vary from game to game. So you have to look for general patterns/opportunities in terms of landscape, but there's no guarantees. Some stuff to look for...

- Any kind of inlet. Having a city on the coast within an inlet means less ocean/coast tiles for the frigates to swarm on, which means less ships firing on your city (and more places to put things like Crossbowmen).
- Hills/Forests/Jungles that block LoS. Unlike Battleships, Frigates don't have indirect fire and thus can't fire over Hills/Forests/Jungles to hit your city. Hills are better than Forests/Jungles because a truly determined opponent will bring workers and melee units to remove the Forests/Jungles (which you'll need to be destroying...but due to the whole simultaneous turns thing and people being asses you'll get things like them moving a worker/melee unit last second and getting a chop in at the start of the next turn. If a few of those get off the Forest/Jungle is history). You might even be able to get spots where you can place a Crossbowman on a Hill that's two tiles from the sea but has another Hill or lowland Forest/Jungle as the coastal tile...meaning you can fire at the ship but it can't fire at your Crossbowman.

Units
- Walls/Castle (even Arsenal) all make a massive difference. They alone won't save you but your city will take a lot less damage, heal more per turn, and hit harder in response.
- I'm assuming your point about a non-coastal capital basically boils down to "I can't possibly pump out enough ships to win a naval battle and thus I need to defend the city with land units"
- Given the typical tech route, Crossbowmen will be your bread and butter. Now, your opponent can churn out Frigates with 46.5ish effective strength (28 with a 66% bonus against land units) while your Crossbowmen will have about 23.4 (18 with a 30% bonus against targets in open terrain...aka water). This obviously is not a good match-up. But it's the best you can realistically do (plus a Frigate of your own in the city itself firing out).
- It basically boils down to this being a stalling action -- you need to string out the attack so that you advance to techs that can counter him. Great War Bombers are a prime example -- until your opponent gets access to Carriers (and puts Triplanes in them) his Frigates (and/or Battleships) will be easy pickings for the bombers. On the other land, if this progresses to the point where he has a Carrier or three with full-on Fighters plus Submarines in the water plus an armada of Battleships...you're just kind of screwed unless you can manage to get as much or Oil as he has (since every Fighter means one less Battleship). His Fighters can intercept twice per turn so you're basically having to use Fighters of your own to Air Sweep and keep damaging them faster than they heal...and buy yourself an opening to actually attack the Battleships. And those Battleships are presumably attacking your city this whole time which means you can't afford to take 6 turns to wear down the fighters or something because the Battleships will have reduced the city to 0 HP by then and a Privateer will have rushed in.
- Oh, and the actual Carriers will be placed at like range 9 from your city so that they protect the Battleships but your own Fighters can't attack the Carriers (without a range upgrade, at least). And if the opponent is halfway decent he'll have back-up Carriers if he thinks you're going to Fighter spam his Carriers so that he can rotate his planes around and send his wounded Carriers back to heal.
- Placing a Privateer or Frigate in front of the city each turn (or some other cheap unit) to force the opponent to take time destroying it can help...but it's still a stalling action.
- None of this is even really getting to the point about him training on CSes -- if he's bringing Frigates with Logistics and Range or something then you're simply screwed unless you train your units yourself. Unlike land wars, you can't build things like Forts, can't Fortify on rough terrain, units move obscene distances per turn, etc. A Fortified Pikeman with Double Cover in a Fort on rough terrain has like 47ish strength. Couple that with roads that allow you to easily move that Pikeman away to heal while a new one replaces his spot and you can stall a ground offensive. Not so for naval combat.

TL;DR: Naval units are brokenly overpowered in general. (Nuclear) Submarines will either one or two shot enemy naval units, Frigates/Battleships have a 100% bonus against land units which means even Artillery/Rocket Artillery aren't that effective, Bombers will eat Frigates/Battleships alive but are in turn easily countered by Fighters. Ultimately you're probably just trying to stall for Nukes and use those to Nuke his navy.

P.S. It's late and I'm tired and I may have made some mistakes above and/or forgotten some things, so I apologize in advance if so. I hate Naval Combat in Civ. Does it show?

If you hit Radio on turn, say, 180 and have a size 30 capital with three size 20 cities...you're going to hit Plastics much sooner than if you hit Radio on turn 190 with a size 25 capital and three size 15 cities (note: don't read too much into those numbers, they aren't concrete at all, just illustrating the point). Perhaps we could do something like you play a game, hit Radio, post that save, you continue to Plastics, and I'll make a video of me going from Radio to Plastics and we can see what, if anything, differs?
Thanks, that is a very generous offer! Attached is my T179 savefile and a screen shot from the current DCG where I have just Oxford’d Radio, so you get to pick ideology (4th, blah) next turn. Looking through my save files, I get to Plastics on T223, but that could have been ~T212 if I bulb the GS that I was saving for after labs. Is that terrible or okays? Either way, I would be hard pressed to finish the spaceship before T300. So maybe my problem is not Radio to Plastics, but post-plastics? That is part of the problem -- knowing where is my problem!

I can also post an entire peaceful cultural victory game start to finish if you'd like. Can post an initial start with a specific Civ of your choice, can use one of the Deity challenges (though obviously not all of those exactly work for peaceful cultural victory), or can just random it up on my own. Edit: something I should clarify -- peaceful as in I never declare war or peaceful as in I never even bribe others into war?
Thanks! My strong preference would be your choice of one of the Deity challenges DCLs. Maybe DCL #37 France? Peaceful to me means not relying on conquering cities for Great Works or Wonders. So you might DoW and certainly bribing others into war is permissible. To be very strict with peaceful CV would mean never taking cities at all. But maybe a CS needs to be liberated or an AI recalled to life or maybe you were forwarded settled, so taking one city is just correcting your borders!

Attachments

• Haile Selassie_0179 AD-1190.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • civ5ss-cdg03-t179-radio.jpg
    civ5ss-cdg03-t179-radio.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 145
So, about this...

What are you hoping to see in such a video? The "problem" is that Frigate/Ship of the Line rushes are something that happens in multiplayer rather than single player...not really sure how to "make" the AI do such an attack. And even if it did, it wouldn't have the 3 range units trained on CSes.

I can give you some tips to help in text form right now, though. If you have a save game where the AI attacked in such a manner I could make a video of that, sure. I could also make a video of a game where I showed the initial settling of expansion cities with an eye toward preventing frigate rushes.

Ok i did not think of the defult ai since i use to play with the smart AI mod
and with that mod the AI actualy know's how to get +1 range and how to dangerous attacks on immortal difficulty with 3 ranged frigates

so you get to pick ideology (4th, blah) next turn.

What Ideology did you go?

Looking through my save files, I get to Plastics on T223, but that could have been ~T212 if I bulb the GS that I was saving for after labs. Is that terrible or okays? Either way, I would be hard pressed to finish the spaceship before T300. So maybe my problem is not Radio to Plastics, but post-plastics? That is part of the problem -- knowing where is my problem!

Bulbing a GS to get to Plastics sooner is viewed as being generally okay last I heard. It's ambiguous enough that it's not considered "wrong" to do so at a minimum. Not sure how one GS would have shaved off 11 turns, though?

Post Plastics could certainly be a problem, yes, as that's a lot less straight-forward than Radio to Plastics. Perhaps could do something like both play either your Plastics save or my Plastics save and compare from that point on too.

One thing I do want to make clear, though -- whether something is "terrible" or okay can highly depend on the map and opponents. If you start next to Attila or something then you might need to sacrifice some tech progress to, y'know, not get wiped out. That said, some "typical" metrics often given for an ideal would be Public Schools at 160 and Labs at 200...so the fact that you're taking 34 turns to go from Radio to Plastics (and thus need to also add in the time for Electricity and Public Schools on top of that) means you probably are a bit behind. One major issue I noticed from your screenshot is city size -- capital is only size 18 and two of your cities are 13 and 14 respectively. Especially given all the river tiles that seems low offhand (particularly the capital).

Thanks! My strong preference would be your choice of one of the Deity challenges DCLs. Maybe DCL #37 France? Peaceful to me means not relying on conquering cities for Great Works or Wonders. So you might DoW and certainly bribing others into war is permissible. To be very strict with peaceful CV would mean never taking cities at all. But maybe a CS needs to be liberated or an AI recalled to life or maybe you were forwarded settled, so taking one city is just correcting your borders!

Oh good, I'm glad it's France for a peaceful cultural victory. See, I play with exactly one mod called "Realistic Civ UAs" that actually only makes one alteration...France's "Declare War" button is instead changed to "We Surrender!"

Ok i did not think of the defult ai since i use to play with the smart AI mod
and with that mod the AI actualy know's how to get +1 range and how to dangerous attacks on immortal difficulty with 3 ranged frigates

Ah, I see. Well, all the stuff I talked about in the previous post still applies, though countering the AI will be easier than an actual player since they probably don't go as deep as I did into counters (A is countered by B, but B is countered by C, but C is countered by D, etc).

What Ideology did you go?
I have tried all three, eventually winning with Freedom, which is probably the best one for SV (although I never picked up a 3rd tier tenet). My various failures are mentioned in the CDG #3 thread.

Bulbing a GS to get to Plastics sooner is viewed as being generally okay last I heard. It's ambiguous enough that it's not considered "wrong" to do so at a minimum. Not sure how one GS would have shaved off 11 turns, though?
I had already bulbed a couple GS eight turns after Public Schools were up. Saving 11 turns was just a guess.

Post Plastics could certainly be a problem, yes, as that's a lot less straight-forward than Radio to Plastics. Perhaps could do something like both play either your Plastics save or my Plastics save and compare from that point on too.
I want to do whatever you think would be most illustrative for me (and your other viewers too, of course). I have played my Plastics save and can post the later savefile if you like. With Plastics researched at T223, I do not get labs online for ten more turns. Then it takes me 70+ more turns to win at T306, so 20+ turns more than people say for a good benchmark. OTOH, I was working on the nominal achievements for that challenge, and diverted to pick up Pentagon and GFW (not part of the achievements, and I still had some ambitions about war mongering). Anyway, post-Plastics might not be where I need the most help!

One thing I do want to make clear, though -- whether something is "terrible" or okay can highly depend on the map and opponents. If you start next to Attila or something then you might need to sacrifice some tech progress to, y'know, not get wiped out.
Sure. The neighbors on this map are pretty passive, or at least easily distracted by war bribes.

That said, some "typical" metrics often given for an ideal would be Public Schools at 160 and Labs at 200.
Is that the techs or the buildings online at T160/200? I almost never can rush buy them all, so I lose ~10 turns there. Either way, I never hit either of those benchmarks. So maybe I need your help earlier?

..so the fact that you're taking 34 turns to go from Radio to Plastics (and thus need to also add in the time for Electricity and Public Schools on top of that) means you probably are a bit behind.
One needs Electricity to use Oxford for Radio and, as I recall, I was done with the Public Schools (and had even bulbed some GS) by the time I hit Radio. No need to be gentle with your criticism! Am I “a bit behind” or “terrible”?

One major issue I noticed from your screenshot is city size -- capital is only size 18 and two of your cities are 13 and 14 respectively. Especially given all the river tiles that seems low offhand (particularly the capital).
Okay, maybe my game was off the rails sooner than latter? I recall internal food routes being late.

I am much more interested in watching you play my cites at some crucial point, rather than trying to salvage a game I have miss-managed for 50+ turns. I am very much open to your suggestions!

I meant to post the other night, and I actually had it all typed up but decided not to submit.

So--here is the game (playing as Mongolia). Turn 54. Doing okay so far. Scouting sucks because there were a ton of barbs earlier. Which also explains why I have so many archers and stuff. I think I had four or five barb camps very close to me. I'm taking care of one now (bottom).

Anyway--I'm still at one city--mainly because I have Shaka to my east, and the Iroquois at the west--and he settled a second city.

This game is King, no mods, only legendary start was selected. Normal speed and normal map. Only victory condition turned off is time (rest are left checked).

I'd be curious to see how to proceed, mainly because I am always extremely nervous when Shaka is an immediate neighbor, as well as the Iroquois. Shaka likes to attack early and sometimes the Iroquois do as well (not to mention spamming cities).

Thanks and no rush. I have the saved file in a folder called (expletive This Game) :)

I also know my play to that point was not optimal, but the barbs really screwed me up and I'm worried about my neighbors.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0054 BC-1840.Civ5Save
    786.1 KB · Views: 56
Anyway--I'm still at one city--mainly because I have Shaka to my east, and the Iroquois at the west--and he settled a second city.

Thing is, if anything that's a reason to make sure you have another city or three settled ASAP. Can put them in defensive positions or use them to make more units.

I'd be curious to see how to proceed, mainly because I am always extremely nervous when Shaka is an immediate neighbor, as well as the Iroquois. Shaka likes to attack early and sometimes the Iroquois do as well (not to mention spamming cities).

Shaka is awful, yeah, though Iroquois aren't as bad.

How you want to proceed really comes down to how you want to win. But since I've always felt Genghis Khan gets much worse of a rap than he deserves and obviously the culture of the Mongols is known world wide, I think I'm going to immediately declare war on every other civilization I've met (and every new civilization I meet), stick to one city, and win a Culture Victory without ever conquering a city.

If you happen to see this post before I do so I'm open to other suggestions, of course, if you'd rather see something else.

I have tried all three, eventually winning with Freedom, which is probably the best one for SV (although I never picked up a 3rd tier tenet).

I meant for the Radio -> Plastics number you gave specifically. If you went Freedom and I go Order, for example, that would skew the results. Just trying to make sure we do the same ideology to check the length of time.

I had already bulbed a couple GS eight turns after Public Schools were up. Saving 11 turns was just a guess.

...yeah, should only be using 1 GS at most for the last 8 turns before Plastics. Obviously if you're going for a military push of some sort then bulbing a key tech can be highly useful, but it'll slow you down overall for pure peaceful science victory.

Is that the techs or the buildings online at T160/200? I almost never can rush buy them all, so I lose ~10 turns there. Either way, I never hit either of those benchmarks. So maybe I need your help earlier?

I believe the idea is that you get the techs on that turn and immediately start building the buildings.

One needs Electricity to use Oxford for Radio and, as I recall, I was done with the Public Schools (and had even bulbed some GS) by the time I hit Radio. No need to be gentle with your criticism! Am I “a bit behind” or “terrible”?

My point was that Electricity took some amount of time to research, call it A. Education (for Public Schools and what I meant to type) took some amount of time to research prior to that, call it B. So from Public Schools to Plastics we're talking 34 turns (Radio to Plastics) + A + B if that makes sense. Which is going to be well over 40, especially if you bulbed GSes.

That said, considering you're still winning Deity games by turn 300ish I don't think the word "terrible" would ever apply. I would say you're significantly behind, though, yes.

Okay, maybe my game was off the rails sooner than latter? I recall internal food routes being late.

Yes. Especially your capital. Too small -- and the fact your second city was only one population behind should have been a huge red flag.

I am much more interested in watching you play my cites at some crucial point, rather than trying to salvage a game I have miss-managed for 50+ turns. I am very much open to your suggestions!

Given that (in the other thread) you mentioned trying to get a Culture Victory with 450 Tourism AFTER Internet...yeah. Ain't gonna happen. I'd be aiming for 600+, being very conservative. Not getting any wonders prior to the Modern Era (or something like that) in particular is a massive problem -- you need at least some Ren wonders (and really want to deny Sistine Chapel to the AI).

So from that perspective one could argue that all of these games have been mismanaged for 50+ turns. Of course, Acken or someone on his level would turn around and probably say the same thing about one of my games.

Probably starting at your Radio save and going for SV with whatever Ideology looks best is what I'll do, see how much time I can shave off that 306 end time. And, like I said, I'll do the France thing too.

@LordB--whatever you want to do is fine. Your idea sounds great. I'd love to see it.

I believe the idea is that you get the techs on that turn and immediately start building the buildings.
That I do. People seem to think one should be able to rush buy all the science buildings so that way turn-to-tech and turn-to-building are one in the same. But my economy is never doing well enough to come close to that. Usually I can rush buy in the city that would otherwise be last to build Public Schools or Research Lab.

My point was that Electricity took some amount of time to research, call it A. Education (for Public Schools and what I meant to type) took some amount of time to research prior to that, call it B. So from Public Schools to Plastics we're talking 34 turns (Radio to Plastics) + A + B if that makes sense. Which is going to be well over 40, especially if you bulbed GSes.
I am not following your math because A and B happen before I unlock Electricity. Which tech unlocks Public Schools? I thought Education unlocks Universities?

Yes. Especially your capital. Too small -- and the fact your second city was only one population behind should have been a huge red flag.
I am not sure what is going on there then, except I was not micro managing citizens. Internal food caravans were late though, as was NC.

I'd be aiming for 600+, being very conservative.
Yikes! I don't know that I have ever seen that!

Not getting any wonders prior to the Modern Era (or something like that) in particular is a massive problem -- you need at least some Ren wonders (and really want to deny Sistine Chapel to the AI).
I only get SC one in four tries that I am for it. I have changed my mind as to what I am looking for help with. Please show me how to get the Sistine Chapel with some reliability!

Probably starting at your Radio save and going for SV with whatever Ideology looks best is what I'll do, see how much time I can shave off that 306 end time. And, like I said, I'll do the France thing too.
I don't think the post-Radio play will be very telling. I am looking forward to your France play!

@LordB--whatever you want to do is fine. Your idea sounds great. I'd love to see it.

Got 5 hours of video, on turn 247. Some images of the current state of the game in the spoiler tag below.

Spoiler :
Some careful diplomacy going on here:

Wonder List Part 1

[/URL]

Wonder List Part 2

That I do. People seem to think one should be able to rush buy all the science buildings so that way turn-to-tech and turn-to-building are one in the same. But my economy is never doing well enough to come close to that. Usually I can rush buy in the city that would otherwise be last to build Public Schools or Research Lab.

Well...what are you spending your gold on? If the answer is "multiple Research Agreements" then that's perfect. Last I heard the current thought was that Research Agreements (at least on Deity) were about as good or slightly better than rush buying buildings. But if you're getting neither Research Agreements nor rush buying buildings that's not so great.

I am not following your math because A and B happen before I unlock Electricity. Which tech unlocks Public Schools? I thought Education unlocks Universities?

Scientific Theory unlocks Public Schools, which is what I meant in the first place. Pretend I never said Education!

And yes, both do -- that's my point. Ideally you want to take 40ish turns from Public Schools to Research Labs (aka Scientific Theory to Plastics). Your Radio to Plastics took 34 turns...then you ALSO had the time for Electricity (right before Radio) and Scientific Theory (right before Electricity). So if Electricity (or B) took, say, 8 turns...and Scientific Theory (or A) took, say, another 8 turns...then overall we have A + B + 34 = 8 + 8 + 34 = 50 turns from Public Schools to Research Labs.

And we wanted 40ish.

Yikes! I don't know that I have ever seen that!

Well, do you remember the Korea Deity Challenge where you started with a worker and all the other Civs started with pop 3 and a Granary or something? I decided to OOC Cultural Victory it.

Spoiler :

I only get SC one in four tries that I am for it. I have changed my mind as to what I am looking for help with. Please show me how to get the Sistine Chapel with some reliability!

I mean, the short answer...is faster teching. Most AIs will enter the Ren Era with Banking, Printing Press, or Gunpowder. Acoustics is rare. Sometimes you simply can't get Sistine Chapel...but you usually can. Hopefully the France DCL helps.

Well...what are you spending your gold on? If the answer is "multiple Research Agreements" then that's perfect.
Okay, then I am probably doing that well enough. I will also drop gold on cultural CS if they put up a gold quest -- but mostly it is RAs.

Scientific Theory unlocks Public Schools, which is what I meant in the first place. Pretend I never said Education!
Okay, that clears up my confusion, and now I understand your math too. Thanks for taking the time to explain!

Ideally you want to take 40ish turns from Public Schools to Research Labs (aka Scientific Theory to Plastics).
Yes, I am taking 50ish turns for that -- and that is even with two GS bulbs (8+ turns after Public Schools are all built, and three picks in Rationalism). So I think this is where I need help.

I mean, the short answer...is faster teching. Most AIs will enter the Ren Era with Banking, Printing Press, or Gunpowder. Acoustics is rare. Sometimes you simply can't get Sistine Chapel...but you usually can. Hopefully the France DCL helps.
So I need help with faster teching earlier too! Yes, the France DCL video should help me. Thanks!

Population Growth and Happiness Balance are my two biggest pet peeves, if you want to do a video on something I think that one is a winner. It's by far the most important part of CIV, more people means more everything! More research, more productions, more money, more culture, more faith, more, more, more, more! What can't you do with happy high pop cities?

If you want a save, I will post one, I have plenty of good failures ready to be nitpicked. I nitpick them myself too, but every play-through new problems arise.

Edit: I forgot you wanted details. I don't know how to ask for that though since every map is so different. I guess a good Aztecs Lakes game might be good, their growth with lakes about is insane. I don't have a good save on that though.

Holy crap, LordB--I can't wait to start watching the videos when I get home tonight.

Thank you very much!

EDIT: Posted response to Lord B in the wrong thread :(

And I can't wait to see the video. This oughta be great!

Top Bottom