Should I just turn City States off?

Thanks so much for saying this. I've always wondered what the Plus was and this sounds like a feature I would like to use in a game every once in a while. Is this confirmed that this is what "Plus" does?

I played one game on a "plus" map, and most (maybe all) of the CS's were on little islands. I didn't like it, but it might be right up your alley.

I'm a "wide" player on a large map - small continents plus.

I actually increase the number of City States. I know it does slow the game down a bit, but I don't notice any imbalance. They do seem to appear near natural wonders though.

With small continents plus there is a chance of being on a chunk of land with a couple of CS's but they don't seem to get in the way. They can also provide a buffer between hostile neighbours as well.

I'm someone who likes to go wide...
Try the default settings with the NQ Mod map. It seems to have much more room for Liberty play. I mostly only know it from the DCL/CDG series.

Should I just turn City States off?
No, of course not. It is arguably the most significant feature of this iteration of civ. If I was tempted to turn CS off, I think I would go back to IV!

Their main purpose just seems to be to stop you from expanding.
That strikes me as an absurd assertion to make.

Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about.
Is that your starting screen shot? I don’t recall ever seeing a CS tile (maybe a border) upon initiating a game!

What annoys me is how often city states are located right by natural wonders.
That is a programmed feature of the map scripts. By design, major civs do not start near a NW, but CS frequently do. I think it is okay.

Is this confirmed that this is what "Plus" does?
It is in the mouse-over describing the setting when you set up a game!

Of all the stock maps, I like Pangaea Plus and Continents Plus the most. I have not paid to get Small Continents Plus.

Top Bottom