Our World: Civilizations of the Modern Age Design Discussion

Yay, it's here!

Turkmenistan is definitely not one I would have expected, and I'd like to see a nice South Korea civilization - especially after talking about Hong Kong and by extension the Four Asian Tigers on the requests thread.

Considering how difficult it is to manipulate Tourism yields from what I've heard, though, I don't know how hard it would be to implement the UAE's UA.

Venezuela: Agreed, part of my objective is to expand people's understandings of these countries. Oil is certainly prominent but how do I highlight that? I have a decision that guarantees a bunch of oil...like I don't know what else to do with it?

I don't know, really.

Turkmenistan: Yeah, this is definitely my oddball civ...natural gas as a map resource would increase the art requirements of this dramatically. But your design synergizes well. I think the problem is that it's all focused late game. Historically accurate, yes, but not necessarily the best for fun. Perhaps tie natural gas to a earlier tech? Not sure which?

Industrialization, definitely:

The Door to Hell
Natural Gas resources appear near Natural Wonders and Desert tiles in Turkmen territory upon the discovery of Industrialization. Starting with the Industrial era, cities enter one turn of 'We Love the King Day' when they complete a building.

South Korea: Buying techs is a very interesting proposition. Can a coder tell me if this is feasible?

Not a very talented coder, but I believe it should be, yes.

Just make a button that subtracts gold and give you a free policy Technology.

Japan: I like the new design, very synergetic although it might have a bit too much going on in the UA. UA ties tourism to culture and culture to science and tourism to growth. At the very least I think that culture boost should just be a straight tourism dump to known civs. The middle part of the UA is perfect. Can you go into more detail on the last part? The unique components otherwise are good.

The concept is supposed to focus more on resisting foreign influence than influencing others now, actually, and I think that fits Japan better. I don't think too much happens in the UA, there are only two components in it, but the thing is they are quite specific.

What do you mean middle part of the UA? There are only two parts...

The last part provides +1 Citizen for every civ you're exotic with, +2 for Familiar, +3 for Influential and +5 for Dominant. Although it may need rebalancing.

One interesting mechanic could be for Tourism to contribute towards resisting foreign Influence...

Kosovo: Good dualistic focus, I like it although I feel that there must be more to Kosovo than the war...I just can't manage to find good sources.

Well, it isn't just war related. The UA is supposed to reflect outside powers' role in Kosovo in general, and that is what it's most known for.

Oh, oh, and they definitely need those Turkmenbashi Statues as a Monument replacement.

I have the Edifice (name pending, statue is just kinda boring, Turkmenbashi Statue might be too specific) as a Garden replacement right now. The reason is that I want to expand the class of buildings which would trigger a WLTKD just a little bit. Monument, Amphi, OH, Museum, Broadcast is a little narrow...But if the Edifice also produces culture it would also trigger the UA.

I have the Edifice (name pending, statue is just kinda boring, Turkmenbashi Statue might be too specific) as a Garden replacement right now. The reason is that I want to expand the class of buildings which would trigger a WLTKD just a little bit. Monument, Amphi, OH, Museum, Broadcast is a little narrow...But if the Edifice also produces culture it would also trigger the UA.

Hope I'm not rude, but I'd like you to reply to my... reply.

Sorry. I like your idea, but I don't like how both parts of it are locked until industrial era. That's why I prefer allowing that WLTKD effect at any time during the game, but only for culture-producing buildings. It allows for Turkmenistan to play uniquely from the start. The b Natural Gas part is great but ii might make it spawn in each city you have, or something, so we don't have to do 3D work for it.

Sorry. I like your idea, but I don't like how both parts of it are locked until industrial era. That's why I prefer allowing that WLTKD effect at any time during the game, but only for culture-producing buildings. It allows for Turkmenistan to play uniquely from the start. The b Natural Gas part is great but ii might make it spawn in each city you have, or something, so we don't have to do 3D work for it.

Would it be possible to take the Miasma from BE, make it mostly-transparent, and use that as the Natural Gas resource?

Personally I think it's weird that Turkmenistan has a bonus on culture buildings when Niyazov personally banned Opera...

Yeah, culture is certainly an odd focus for Turkmenistan but I am trying to represent the statues of himself that he made....I think it's good UA material.

Hamm, I definitely really like your idea. As my OP sorta implies I really am not certain on the focus for Turkmenistan. I do want their abilities to be accessible all game, though. Sorry if my post a few hours ago seemed harsh or something - I had just woken up.

Would a 1 day WLTKD for every building be too much? I feel like 1 turn of WLTKD is not very impactful. Does anyone have a thought on how to represent the extremely extensive cult of personality?

Yeah, culture is certainly an odd focus for Turkmenistan but I am trying to represent the statues of himself that he made....I think it's good UA material.

Hamm, I definitely really like your idea. As my OP sorta implies I really am not certain on the focus for Turkmenistan. I do want their abilities to be accessible all game, though. Sorry if my post a few hours ago seemed harsh or something - I had just woken up.

Would a 1 day WLTKD for every building be too much? I feel like 1 turn of WLTKD is not very impactful. Does anyone have a thought on how to represent the extremely extensive cult of personality?

You could make Great Works yield something other than culture and tourism (The most obvious choice seems to be Happiness).

You could make Great Works yield something other than culture and tourism (The most obvious choice seems to be Happiness).

This is a good idea. I've considered this in doing Civ designs before. My only issue is that does Great Works really fit a totalitarian dicatorship, which (as far as I know) has produced no cultural exports?

I do agree that Happiness is the yield I want, though. I was also thinking - would it be possible to reduce the negative effects of Unhappiness via a UA?

And DoctorMcGann, that would be great! I like the work that you've done elsewhere a lot.

Well, there's that book that he made obligatory to read... and have in Schools... and Mosques.

It'd certainly would fit giving a bonus on "Great" works of writing, the UA could be named after the book itself.

I still think those statues would do better as a Monument replacement.

Yeah, OK, consider me persuaded on Great Works. If the statue replaces the monument, what should it do?

My only issue is that does Great Works really fit a totalitarian dicatorship, which (as far as I know) has produced no cultural exports?

My reasoning was more like that you're censoring actual great works with propaganda, thus receiving happiness instead of tourism.

Personally I think it's weird that Turkmenistan has a bonus on culture buildings when Niyazov personally banned Opera...

Decision that destroys opera houses for culture!

I did not perceive your comment as harsh, man. If anything, I'm the one to blame, by sounding disappointed.

As a sidenote, Happiness from Great Works sounds excellent, go for it!

The Republic of Turkmenistan

Saparmurat Niyazov

Door to Hell
:greatwork: Great Works yield :c5happy: Happiness instead of :tourism: Tourism. Cities founded on or next to Desert tiles provide Natural Gas*.

Spoiler :
*Natural Gas yields :c5happy: Happiness, increases Building :c5production: Production with Industrialization, and yields :tourism: Tourism with Refrigeration. Can be traded.

Would this be good?

Then again, shouldn't there also be a focus on Turkman neutrality?

Top Bottom