Flags above cities mean...???

runningtired

Chieftain
After reading some other posts, it seems there is a way to tell if a city is undefended, or perhaps how many units or what types of units are there - before attacking. I thought I had this figured out on the barbarian villages, but it isn't quite adding up.

Is it possible to know *anything* about the units before attacking?

IIRC, flags only indicate which civ the city belongs to. If it's about to culture flip, the other civ's flag will be flashing in that city.

I haven't noticed the flags giving any additional info about the city, though. I could be missing something, but I just haven't seen anything else about them in my experiences.

Don't forget the flags which indicate a great person resides in the city...useful for spies...

After reading some other posts, it seems there is a way to tell if a city is undefended, or perhaps how many units or what types of units are there - before attacking. I thought I had this figured out on the barbarian villages, but it isn't quite adding up.

Is it possible to know *anything* about the units before attacking?

yeah no flag means the city is left undefended. flag means there is at least one unit there.

Don't forget the flags which indicate a great person resides in the city...useful for spies...

Oooh, didn't realize you could see enemy flags. *rubs his hands together* good tip!

I sat outside a city for a few turns early game before attacking (just to watch) and I noticed the flag getting higher, so I was wondering if it's a sign about fortification or anything else.

I'm pretty sure, that means there's more units. Playing Gowt I've sat out side of a city, and indeed, the higher that flag, the more units. Later in the game its probably less important, but in multi-player, or at the very beginning, it'd be a invitation.
Also, though many know, the more flags a barb hut has the more units. Once, I left a barab hut alone all game, and the flags looked like a big fat square. Even funnier when they came pouring out in a turn.

Top Bottom