How does civ Rev compare to Civ 4?

stwils

Emperor
I am thinking of buying an X-box so I can play Civ Rev.

Is Civ Rev a bit easier than Civ 4? Simpler?

Is there a good manual? a tech tree fold out?

Since I've never played on the X box, and only have played PC Civ1,2,3 and 4, do you think it will be fun for me? Will the screen be less cluttered than Civ4? (I have a big TV to hook it up to.)

Tell me about it please as I am about to go to Walmart and get an X box and civ Rev. Is this idiotic? or a good adventure?

Thanks,
stwils

I would recommend against buying an Xbox just for this (don't want to start a flame war here, but my opinion is not pro-Xbox - let's not get into why or flaming me, it's just my opinion!)

Do you have problems with Civ IV? Too complicated or time-consuming?

I would recommend against buying an Xbox just for this (don't want to start a flame war here, but my opinion is not pro-Xbox - let's not get into why or flaming me, it's just my opinion!)

I am pretty pro-360, but even I have to agree here. CivRev is really quite good, but I wouldn't drop $300+ dollars on any system just to play it. I'd say the same thing about the PS3 or DS versions as well.

Unless you can justify buying a console for other stuff (Blu-ray and exclusive games on PS3, or Netflix/Live and exclusive games on the 360) no one game is going to make the purchase worth it to you.

As to the differences, CivRev is a streamlined version of the Civ experience. There are certainly roots from Civ IV, but CivRev is it's own beast. Leaner, faster, and less complicated is the goal with CivRev. A typical player versus 5 AI game in CivRev takes an average of 2-3 hours, while the same game would be much longer in most sessions of Civ IV.

There are lots of great games on the 360, so if you plan on expanding your game library, I would recommend it (and even the PS3, both great consoles).

But, I'm not sure if I would buy either console for just one game. Civ: Rev is a fun game, without a doubt, but it is a 'lite' version of Civ. Much of the strategic depth has been gutted in favor of streamlined gameplay. I'm having fun with Rev, but unless they do some upgrades in future patches/expansions, I do not see myself getting addicted to it like I have every other Civ game.

I've definitely gotten addicted to Civ Rev already... I love multiplayer. I get guilty pleasure from taking people's capital and pissing them off. :) Civ IV was fun but too slow for a good multiplayer experience.

^ I disagree. I think Civ IV had amazing multiplayer - then again I only play with friends so maybe that had something to do with it!

There are plenty of great games for the X360, like Bad company , etc. Actually now I'm playing Sid Meir's Pirates that I just downloaded from the Xbox Market place. What a delight.

^ But you could get that for PC for cheap.

And Battlefield 2, 2142, that free Battlefield game coming out soon if you want Battlefield action on PC (in my opinion the better BF experience - not that Bad Company is no good, I just prefer the PC BF games although the destructible environments are well-done).

I would say that CivRev is a dumbed down version of Civ 4 that includes some elements from Civ 3, making it unique in it's own way. I'd prefer Civ 4 but my Computer can't handle it, so I have to cope with Civ 3 and Rev (on the DS :( ).

The 360 is more wonderous than I could have imagined - I love mine. If you've got money, then you should buy one.

If your just looking to play Civ Rev and want a system for it, buy the DS unless you really want multi-player, in which case get the Xbox 360.

DS runs about 130$ vs 300+ for an Xbox 360.

CivIVBTS+FofM2+BarbRev is the greatest game of all time. Don't buy XBOX360 for CivRev. Buy XBOX360 for COD4 and Live and soon NetFlix, and then buy CivRev cause you've got Xbox360. Seriously, I'm a CivIV uber-dork-nerd but COD4 multiplayer on xboxlive has to be experienced to be believed.

Kapish?

And XBOX360 is the greatest community device ever. Its only flaw is remedied this fall when they patch to allow community chat for up to 8 of your friends even beyond in-game stuff (not to mention NetFlix 10,000+ movies). PS3 fanboys now discovering what an integrated live versus hack live means. Blu-Ray is the only reason PS3 is even still a viable option.

<ducks from PS3 fanboy response, but I own both so I'm immune>

I would say that CivRev is a dumbed down version of Civ 4 that includes some elements from Civ 3, making it unique in it's own way. I'd prefer Civ 4 but my Computer can't handle it, so I have to cope with Civ 3 and Rev (on the DS :( ).

I wouldn't call it dumbed down; I'd call it stripped off overhead.

nd XBOX360 is the greatest community device ever.

So if you buy the Xbox360 buy the one with the built in core to use the LIVE feature. And get wireless controllers (in case you have little ones who might get in the way of the game or trip/bother the cords. You can sit anywhere then too.) I am not sure of your age but this LIVE feature has parent controls as well if you are thinking of getting it for your family. If it is just for you - have fun and you don't have to share!!! This also wins over the PC if you enjoy your sofa more than your computer chair.

I read your email yesterday and rented CivRev today - I love it. I played more Civ 3/1 so I really cannot compare it to 4 YET but if you are looking for a visual feast and easy to use controls - go for it!

I am pretty pro-360, but even I have to agree here. CivRev is really quite good, but I wouldn't drop $300+ dollars on any system just to play it. I'd say the same thing about the PS3 or DS versions as well.

I bought the DS just for Civ Rev, but while I was waiting, I also got Advance Wars, Age of Empires, Prof. Leyton, etc. There are a ton of great games for the DS, but even without all those there's still a pretty compelling case to buy one for just Civ Rev. :goodjob:

If your just looking to play Civ Rev and want a system for it, buy the DS unless you really want multi-player, in which case get the Xbox 360.

DS runs about 130$ vs 300+ for an Xbox 360.

Ahem, the DS has Multi-player too... :rolleyes:

What is the built in core? And why would I need it? Doesn't it cost a lot more?

stwils

I own a 360 and i've never heard of any "built in core", perhaps he meant a hard-drive. There used to be a "core edition" which was cheaper but didn't include a harddrive and had a non-cordless control, it's now been replaced by the "Arcade" that's the same thing but with some games included i think. Imo the one you should get is "Premium HDMI" which has a 20 gb hdd.

Btw, at least in Sweden, the Civ4 complete edition which has both the expansions costs $45, while CivRev for ps3/360 costs $72. A "Premium HDMI" 360 costs $418 dollars. (This is all in the cheapest stores you can find using a product search site).

Top Bottom