Victory Conditions

dafiden

First Founder
It might be interesting to have some fairy-taleish victory conditions. I mean, no offense, the mod is really cool. I'm just sick of the standard victory conditions.

Thanks.

Some time back we thought up a new victory condition instead of the Alpha Centauri one (which is cut out of Fairy Tale anyways), but this was never implemented. I might rethink that, since I am thinking about to do a major update of the mod while waiting for Civilization 5 to turn into an actual game.

I might be willing to help with programming if you need it. I haven't written any mods, but I've been in the python code of some mods and edited some stuff. I was a software engineer years ago, so I'm not exactly an amateur in programming, though I am an amateur in python. Anyway, it would all depend on what exactly you'd need. Just throwing it out there since I've kind of wanted to try programming toward a mod.

An idea could be some magical powered 'Airship' to colonize a new continent or something, bringing in the late Medieval factor, though making it a bit more fantasy related. You gather up parts and have to construct the 'Magical Engineering' project (so it can't be hurried) to start the construction. Would eventually need a bit of Space Victory screen adjustment though.

That sounds very good, Dafiden. I'm a mess at Python myself. I barely got together a Python function (which actually adds a complete Victory Condition) during the early stages of this mod with the help of EmperorFool and Phungus who helped me out step-by-step with great patience.

That victory condition can be experienced in the scenario The Great War and means you have to kill the badguy to win the game.

We shall think about the new Victory Condition. As VeBear notes, the Space Ship is not to be considered, due to the graphical changes it would require, but something else instead of the Space Race would indeed be welcome. I will search through the threads and see what we came up with the last time we pondered Victory Conditions!

If you need to know how to edit Space Victory screen, then ask the TAM team, as they did it for TAM.

That victory condition can be experienced in the scenario The Great War and means you have to kill the badguy to win the game.

I don't see it in the game. Which scenario is it in?

I tried:
Fairy Tale Huge 3 The Great War
Fairy Tale 10 The Great War
and only saw "regular" victory conditions.

An idea could be some magical powered 'Airship' to colonize a new continent or something, bringing in the late Medieval factor, though making it a bit more fantasy related. You gather up parts and have to construct the 'Magical Engineering' project (so it can't be hurried) to start the construction. Would eventually need a bit of Space Victory screen adjustment though.

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of capturing some special magic item or something. I'm not sure how this would work yet.

Oh! Sorry, I was a bit off. When you kill the bad guy you actually trigger a Conquest Victory, so it's still the same Condition, but it supplies a different means of achieving it really.

"Rescue the Princess" would be Fairy-Taleish too. Only the Princess in Fairy Tale carries a sword and storms city walls and certainly don't have to be rescued. :D

Oh! Sorry, I was a bit off. When you kill the bad guy you actually trigger a Conquest Victory, so it's still the same Condition, but it supplies a different means of achieving it really.

Oh, OK. Is it both or just one?
Fairy Tale Huge 3 The Great War
Fairy Tale 10 The Great War

OK. I found it. Kill The Demon King unit and win. Looks like he appears in these scenarios:
Fairy Tale 08 The Collective War.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
Fairy Tale 10 The Great War.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
Fairy Tale Huge 3 The Great War.CivBeyondSwordWBSave

Yeah! That's the one. It took me an entire weekend to figure out. I had loads of help though. That's the positive side with this forum; people are always prepared to help and share their knowledge and stuff. Not like in Oblivion modding where everyone sits on his own stuff, refuses to share and it's each to his own. Modding Civ4 is really rewarding in that way; there are friednly people around here.

Yeah! That's the one. It took me an entire weekend to figure out. I had loads of help though. That's the positive side with this forum; people are always prepared to help and share their knowledge and stuff. Not like in Oblivion modding where everyone sits on his own stuff, refuses to share and it's each to his own. Modding Civ4 is really rewarding in that way; there are friednly people around here.

Oblivion is a single-player RPG, right? What kind of modding would you do for that?

OK. I found it. Kill The Demon King unit and win. Looks like he appears in these scenarios:
Fairy Tale 08 The Collective War.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
Fairy Tale 10 The Great War.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
Fairy Tale Huge 3 The Great War.CivBeyondSwordWBSave

I wonder how hard it would be to put it in the actual victory conditions screen. I could work on that if you are interested in adding that feature.

Hey! Yeah! That's a really great idea! I am soon to release a patch for Fairy Tale, so that addition to the Victory Screen would be a welcome update to that as well.

In Oblivion I've mostly been doing small villages. My latest (sadly unfinished) mod for Oblivion is a small town, complete with inhabitants with their own personalities and daily routines, buildings, shops and a bandit gang preying on the town out in the wilderness. I also did serious updating of the landscape, added a dense forest and created lakes and waterfalls, new ruins and farms and bandit camps...

I should have needed to do some quests for the player to solve to finish the mod, but I got back here and started on a mod about the Hundred Years' War instead to learn about modding Civ5. The Oblivion town is therefore on hold for a bit. Hey. I have some screenies of what the town looks like:

Hey! Yeah! That's a really great idea! I am soon to release a patch for Fairy Tale, so that addition to the Victory Screen would be a welcome update to that as well.

I'll see if I can get that into the mod somehow.

Your town at night picture looks very cool. So, how would your mod be incorporated into the game? I mean, if it's a town, would people download the town to go into the game? I played an Elder Scrolls years ago (Morrowind, I think) and I don't remember any mods for it. Just trying to understand how mods work for Oblivion.

Oh yeah. You download mods and then paste them onto your own game. This makes it so, that when you have hundreds of mods, like I do, they create the land you play in completely anew. There are mods that create new weapons, spells and clothes for the player character to use, there are villages and towns and buildings. Some mods (Like Nehrim and Middle Earth Roleplay Project, MERP) are total conversions and change the game completely, remove the vanilla and make everything new, from small weapons to giant cities.

When people paste my town into their own game, all the characters and buildings appear where I have programmed them to in the game world and it updates the game in that way, while vanilla is still there under it all. Some of the events in my town also touch upon vanilla cities and areas. for an example, I have a band of adventurers who make long trips all around the game world and so on.

Morrowind was the best Elder Scrolls ever and did (still does!) indeed have a very lively and vibrant modding community. I made my first computer game mod ever for Morrowind back in 2005. It was called the "Alcoholics Guild" and had three drunks living in a house in the woods. Nothing more, nothing less :lol: My dream is still to make a grander city for Oblivion, complete with castle, shops, guards, houses, inhabitants and a Count and Countess and the whole thing, but I don't think I will ever have the time for that, since I have a lot of other modding projects going and creating the small villages I've done, can take weeks.

I am looking forward to your reports on how it goes with the Victory Condition update! I'll add it to the game downloads as soon as you're done.

A friend bought me Oblivion for birthday present a couple of years ago, but never really wanting to get into it because I know how hard it could be to get out of it (I have a friend who once were realy into World Of Warcraft) I decided not to play it and for years now it have just been laying there collecting dust. Maybe I should take a look at it? And since I only will help some on the TAM and finish my own CivV norse-mod for CivV as all my CivV modding projects, I might, if you then help me, get into modding Oblivion... It sounds fun enough to create a whole world, and I have always wanted to 'rebuild' Carthage :p

Yeah! Modding Oblivion is rather straight forward in its basics, since there is no writing XML or Lua there, but a Construction Set to create all the stuff with, from landscapes to scripting. The CS works a bit bad though and has a tendency to crash often, but if you press the Save Button often, you're on the safe side.

Le Sage,

I have the Fairy Tale Victory working in its basic form. Check out the attached screenshots.

The issues:
1. It comes up for all civs, including the ones who own The Demon King and are allied with The Demon king. Obviously, you can't kill your own unit, but the victory condition still is shown. I "probably" will be able to fix this, but it will take some more time; maybe more than you want for this patch.
2. It's pretty basic. Most victory conditions give some sort of feedback on how close you are the the victory. The only feedback I can think of is to say where The Demon King is, generally. That might be impossible for me to code, but that's all I can think of. No idea how long this would take to implement.

What are your thoughts?

If you like the mod how it is, I have a list of all the files I had to change to implement the mod. Let me know how you want to coordinate the patch with me.

Fairy Tale Victory Screen
Spoiler :
Fairy Tale Victory Screen.JPG

A Fairy Tale Victory
Spoiler :
A Fairy Tale Victory.JPG

P.S. Note that I don't think old save games will work with my changes to the mod.

Top Bottom