Crash with Alien Crossfire (Win10/Planetary Pack)

Gaian Jen

Chieftain
After searching for a solution to get the Planetary Pack running on my Windows 10 system (game would kick back to desktop when prompted to pick either AC or AX), I followed the advice from the "Alpha Centauri and Beyond" website to download the following two patches:
smacp4e.exe
smacxpv2.exe

Now, AC is working fine but not AX, which still kicks back to desktop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Both of the files that you installed are official patches that are already included in the Planetary Pack. Not sure why installing them again fixed SMAC. Try installing this file, which is a later official patch. In theory, this patch is for SMAC, but it may affect SMAX. If that doesn't help, try installing scient's unofficial patch, both for SMAC and SMAX.

Other players have had problems running SMACX on Windows 10.

Good luck!

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately, neither patches worked (still kicked back to desktop when choosing AX both from the Planetary Pack launch page and terranx exe. from the unofficial patch). At least I am not alone with having issues with Win10.

Since SMAC runs on your system, we might be able to get SMAX to run. Please post a copy of your Alpha Centauri.ini file so we can take a look. Thanks!

Since SMAC runs on your system, we might be able to get SMAX to run. Please post a copy of your Alpha Centauri.ini file so we can take a look. Thanks!

I didn't see you post in time before I ended up last night reverting my OS back to Windows 8 (I despised Win10 anyways).

With the two patches you mentioned, SMAX works fine.

Thanks for your help.:)

Top Bottom