MilarNES: Birth of A Civilization

Stories about japenese emperor<Stories about King Bowzer

I have no interest in writing stories for the same old rise of some real-world civilization that won't be around too far in the future because of the short life span of NESes today.

Stories about japenese emperor<Stories about King Bowzer

I have no interest in writing stories for the same old rise of some real-world civilization that won't be around too far in the future because of the short life span of NESes today.
You can easily make up a culture instead of a normal one. But king bowzere is not a made up culture... its just plain silly.

Amon- i have no problems saying it:
your idea to include supermarioland in a NES is STUPID. there- its out and i know i wasn't very political about it but it totally ruins the immersion for the other players who are taking this seriously.
If you want to play supermarioland then go do that. if you want to play a NES, play it properly- i know you can.
if i was Milar i wouldn't even have entertained you for 1minute.

Not plain silly.. There's no reason that there couldn't have been a king bowzer, with a general mega man, who called their soldiers "Koopa Troopas"... And it could have all been coincidence, of course.. But there's no reason it couldn't have happened.

your idea to include supermarioland in a NES is STUPID. there- its out and i know i wasn't very political about it but it totally ruins the immersion for the other players who are taking this seriously.
If you want to play supermarioland then go do that. if you want to play a NES, play it properly- i know you can.

I agree, it is rather stupid, but that's alright... This is meant for our enjoyment, and if a player is allowed to name his country "England" right from the very begining, even though that country wouldn't exist untill there is a tribe of anglo-saxons that invade, and then the romans take it over, and give it the name that makes it stupid, too huh?

My point is, the player's country is the player's country. You can make your country be a big pile of rhetorical crap that happens in every country in every NES if you'd like.. Write stories about how your culture is so advanced and your troops are so bad ass.... And I've done it myself countless times over a span of 5 and a half and some change years... But it's gotten boring, and my having a country called Super Nintendo Land has no effect on it's neighbors, unless the players involved allow it to. With that in mind, what's the problem?

i'm not getting into this- i've stated my case. I'm new to this and i enjoy it for different reasons then you. for me, it makes me think of blipping video games whereas i can relate to england etc as countries and not a classical video game. the thing is, ultimately i get no say in it. Its up to you amon- i told i you that i don't like it and i am sure others agree with me but i don't get to choose.

Your challenge wasn't unfounded. Just after 5 and a half years of the same old... You'd be looking for something else to write about in a NES, too.

I can be a generic country like Nippon... for the 50th time, and have nothing left to write about... Or I can be something completely unique, Super Nintendo Land, and have something to write about.

While I do understand and appreciate your opposition, Immaculate, my stance remains the same because the name of a country has no effect on any part of the game mechanics.

This is not the update, but the update is nearly finished. I only need a couple of minutes to write some special paragraphs and to update the stats.

My suggestion is that you try to find a middle point between the classical Japan/Nippon/whatsoever and the silly Super Nintendo Land/SNES Land. Something new but that it doesn't make you say 'Huh?' when you read it.

lurker's comment: Videoland.

Amon, I say you use your imagination for other ways. For example: Zelda and the Wind Empire is good for Japan. Not everyone know who Zelda is (unless I lost my technological touch already) and it is pretty imerseable as well as ability to hire unimmersive stuff.

It sucks but you get the idea: A NES is a community event, just like Oktoberfest. If you scream that they are serving american champagn, and that it is better even if they serve sparkling wine and not lie, well sucks, you ruined everyone's happiness. However, if you innovated, carried the false champaigne and sold them on Ebay, used the money to buy sparkling wine, everyone would be happy.

You want something original, we want something immersive. You can come up with something! Or else... :)sarcasm:)

Like a baby that discovers the world around him and tries to babble something similar to 'mum' when he looks at the woman who gave birth to him, so do the humans expand and talk between each other. This is the first time two different cultures meet each other, and the fight between the animal instinct of trying to fend the enemy off the own territories and the human instinct of welcoming the stranger in spite of any cultural differences between them both. So far, this is only happening in the most populated continent, Europe, which was something that was certainly bound to happen, considering the relatively short distances between the nations when compared to those in Asia or America.

Africa

Following the surprising expedition towards the east that landed some warriors in the island of Agradana but stranded them when the fleet that took them sank in a storm, the people of Brundagana have started to expand towards the north mainly, as the objective is to take control of lands that make the travel between the island and the continent as short as possible. The fact that this travel worked (news that were brought to the mainland thanks to a couple of warriors that risked their life travelling on a hand-made canoe through the Strait of Agradana) is being commemorated through the construction of three pyramids in the interior of the country: the biggest one, on the left, representing Brundagana, the second biggest, on the right, representing Adragana, and the third one, in front of the other two, representing the future, which seems to be quite bright if this path keeps on. (Pyramids wonder started, expansion, +2% Tribal Gods)

In Damietta, people are starting to get animated with the construction of the monument to the Saharan Gods, especially when considered that the Gods have inspired the creation of a new weapon, based on the use of levers in the construction of the Stone Hedge, that throw lances further than the arm alone can. Expansion along the Nile River is coming along nicely, especially through the use of the religious Iker, who not only conquer territories for Damietta but also expand the influence of religion among the natives that pacifically submit themselves to the rule of the Damiettan priests. (Stonehenge still built, Lance-Propeller, expansion, +5% Saharan Pantheon Gods)

The north-western African monarchy of the Guanches is certainly stirring the dishes, so to speak. With a expansion plan that many would be proud of having thought about, they have sent their Lanchas towards the north and the south in order to expand at a faster pace and to give the military something to do in these times of peace. The plans fared well, although the loss of one of the best units of the Army to the hands of a group of barbarians was quickly amended as the Silbadores launched an attack against them, submitting a couple of tribes to Guanche rule but not completely taking out the uncivilized tribes. Also, it has started to become a custom among the Guanche people to keep a couple of animals near their homes, although the most extended right now is the horse, which is mostly being used as means to take materials and trading elements between places, although some in the military are starting to believe in the military possibilities of a horse-riding unit. (Animal Husbandry (+1 EC), -1 Warrior, expansion, +3% Achamán Worship)

Asia

In the Babylonian Empire, after the death of the great Emperor Cyrus II, his son Immac I has taken on the role of being the new emperor as a fish takes into the water, issuing new orders at a very fast pace. Aggressive orders were issued to the army, which took them with happiness and followed them to the last word. While the Slingers set out towards the west in order to seek other seas, encountering a few tribes, some friendly, some not – the latter are attacked and either killed or forced to do the willing of the Empire –, the Warriors expanded towards the sea and the north, an action which currently keeps the two parts of the Empire separated by several hundreds of kilometres. However, this isn't an impediment for the continuous growth of the empire: the northern half of the empire has managed to create a new invention that will help people expand further and easier, called “wheel”, while the southern half has managed to domesticate several animals like cows or sheep, and most especially horses. (Animal Husbandry, Wheel (+2 EC), +1 CP, expansion, +3% Babylonian Paganism)

A new weapon brought forward to Singodia's Oligarchs' Council is currently bringing them into happiness, as the new weapon can hit and kill people further than what slings are able to do! Although no plans have been made to train more soldiers in the use of this weapon, a new unit has made its way into the army: the Mounted Happy Whistling Clubmen, riding not horses but albino tigers – nearly all of them descendants of the tiger that was raised several years ago in a human family –, is able to attack the enemies and rip them into pieces – the tiger, not the soldier, who lacks of weapons and only rides the tiger to direct him. After Oligarch Nabuc died, his fellow Oligarchs decided to give him a state funeral and build a special building where they feel his soul will easily travel to join itself with the Mother Gaia. (Lance-Propeller, expansion, Pyramids wonder started, +3% Fertility Cult)

In news from the Far East, the empire known before as SNES Land has officially changed its name to the more normal and easier pronounced Dai Nippon Teikoku, the Empire of Greater Japan, and the name of its capital has been changed to Edo, for the pleasure of World Watchers everywhere and the future sigh of thankfulness of the yet unknown other civilizations. This came as the conquest of the island of Honshu was completed and several other islands also fell under the influence of the Empire. However, a surprise met them in the island named Hokkaido, where several barbarians where living and prepared to defend themselves against the Nipponian army. Many of the barbarians fell down in front of the Riders and Slingers before the Nipponians were forced to stop due to lack of supplies. The island is currently divided in half due to the fighting, but now the Nipponian are trying to use the diplomatic approach in order to win more followers for the Empire. This has already paid dividends, as some of the recently conquered tribes have taught the Nipponian sages the art of how to mine stone and how to use it on buildings, and also a new source of food called rice, which can be grown in specially laboured lands, and the climate very much suits that of the islands that now make Dai Nippon Teikoku. (Stone Mining, Agriculture (+2 EC), expansion, +2% Playerism)

Europe

In the Gaulic Confederation, a miracle baffled the priests and builders of the Kirti Faces: the statues that were being built as an image of the glorified warrior and the first kings of the Confederation turned into gold! Unfortunately, this meant that the statues fell down, unable to sustain their own weight, and the gold turned into small nuggets. The priests took this as a signal that the gods weren't in favour of them building the Faces. Mourning came all along the empire, but soon the leaders realized that they could use the gold they had gotten from the rocks to construct a better thing: an expansion of the capital of the Confederation in which the army could train better, trade among the clans would be easily conducted and new settlers could be directed towards new places. Calling the new Paris quarter “Kirti's Legacy”, the effects of this new idea had already started to be felt, as even as the works started several settlers had already expanded along the coast and had even managed to cross the Northern Sea, where they met other people. (Stone Mining (+1 EC, expansion, +4% Ancestor and Personality Cult, +2 CP, starts Kirti's Legacy Project (1/18), gets 3.5 gold from scrapped Moai Statues)

The Eastern European nation of Idyll has stepped up into his attempts to control as much land as possible, which is a lot considering how much unoccupied land is still around them. After finding a way to start and keep a fire (something very important in the northern reaches, where coldness is one of the biggest causes of death), the newly trained Warriors set out to go outside of the current lands of the oligarchy-dominated nation, if only to find new lands where they could settle down with their families. Dividing themselves in three big groups, they launched themselves into adventure. One of them took the already known route of the Volga, towards the small colony that had been settled down several years ago, from where many settlers were also coming out. The other set out towards the west, trying to reach the sea that way. The fleets of Oar-ships were put to good use in the Dom, where soldiers (among them the famed Multi-Time Slingers) boarded the boats and travelled south, not leaving the ships until their food supplies had nearly finished, which took them all quite far away from the capital in Sterzh. Settling down, they found several animals which they found quite docile, but always ran away whenever someone tried to catch them. (Fire (+2 EC), Animal Husbandry (0.25/5), -1 Warrior, expansion, +4% Militarism)

The people of the Kingdom of Hellenium keep still with their expansionist attempts. After discovering the existence of several deserted islands of their coast, the Kingdom sent a few warriors and settlers to conquer and populate those islands, giving Hellenium a growth boost when the waters around those islands were discovered to be rich in fish, and one of the islands also had several docile avians and horses that were started to be breed in order to have more of them. Also, several troops embarked in one of the Oar-Ship Fleets and sailed west, where they managed to land in a new land that was obviously not a city, but where they were forced to fight with bloodthirsty barbarians, a trial that was passed by a high-moral army, which would then find themselves facing a group of other people. In the mainland, as soldiers keep pushing towards the north, settlers follow them in their wheeled carts that allow them to bring all of their possessions to their new homes in the north. The influx of settlers towards the north has also forced the Kingdom's best sages to start to make designs for a new road system that will endure the passing of so many people, but which won't be able to be built until better materials are found. (Animal Husbandry, Wheel (+2 EC), expansion, +1 Army Quality, +3% Hellenic Polytheism)

The Kingdom of Rome, after having armed several legions and slingers, launched them in an attempt to finally conquer the south of the Italian peninsula, which they managed to do almost completely, because when they reached the eastern side of the gulf in which those barbarians lived, they met with a group of other soldiers that had just seemingly attacked and defeated the same barbarians the legions were after. Up in the north, the warriors that had until recently led the settling in the south, were directed towards the north where they would have to do the same thing. Some of the settlers brought special stones that allowed them to make fire without much effort, helping the travellers a lot as they used the fire to cook the animals they found in their way north. It would be several months later when they met a strangely similar group of soldiers they didn't know at all. (Fire (+2 EC), expansion, +1 Army Quality, +4% Roman Paganism)

After deciding to change the seat of his palace to the recently built city of Edinburgh, the Monarch of Pictland decided that his men were ready to make a final push towards the south, in order to conquer the whole of the island of East Anglia for the Picts. While the people in the highlands started to investigate how to extract rocks from the mountains, Woad Warriors and Riders made the native Celts run away towards the south-east, where they hoped to find a haven from the atrocities that some of the Warriors committed in their drugged state. What the Picts couldn't imagine was that the fleeing Celts would actually be able to find said haven among a recently arrived tribe. (Stone Mining (3/6), expansion, Stonehenge wonder started)

The United Tribes of Milan, in a big effort to try to conquer as many lands as possible, launched its army in all directions to do that, as well as sending settlers behind them on their new wheeled carts, provided by the tribe leaders in order to encourage migration and expansion. Those sent towards the north, west and east easily did what had been told of them, with the western settlers making houses out of stone instead of wood due to the relative lack of it, but the ones going towards the south met, surprised, a group of warriors that talked in a different language. Meanwhile, the Chief of Chiefs of the Tribes mandated that every Chief of Chiefs would be buried under the same place so that all of their spirits may meet after they have died. (Wheel, Stone Mining (+2 EC), expansion, Pyramids wonder started, +5% Animism)

North America

After so much time being ruled by inefficient Emperors and oppressed by greedy Knights, the people of the Holy Empire of Britannia have said, “ENOUGH!” and rioted against the Emperor. However, if what a few years ago were the Winnipesaukee Lake, this would be the whole Atlantic Ocean. Not even the highly trained bodyguards of the Emperor were able to contain the onslaught of several hundreds of people attacking them. It would be a matter of minutes before the wall was broken and the Emperor was caught by several furious fishermen who used their knives to gut the man like a fish. All along the Empire, the priests of the religion of Imperialism were either killed or jailed for their complicity with the misrule of the Empire, although the oldest ones were set free. It would take several weeks for some people to declare the founding of the Britannian Republic, which would be a Representative Democracy and whose chief of state would be chosen by a Senate of 100 people. Once the most urgent matters were done, a crash program of restoration and investigation was launched, with all the damage caused by the riots being repaired and then the discovery of several new things like how to make fire or how to use stones from the nearby mountains to build better buildings. As the recently created Republican Guard started to expand through the free lands, the Longboats transported settlers to new places in the coast. (Fire, Stone Mining (+3 EC), expansion, -Imperialism, recovering from Riots)

The Nootka tribes have done much in the last few years. They have certainly rocked the boat, because their discoveries make them the most advanced tribe in several hundreds of kilometres around, especially ever since some animals called horses were domesticated by several of the outer tribes and the wheel was invented in the capital in Yuquot. As their armies go along the coast and the river stream, many ask themselves what the future of the Nootka Confederacy will bring for them. (Animal Husbandry, Wheel (+2 EC), expansion, +3% Sun and Moon Worship)

In south-western North America, a new situation has arisen for the Seri: their travels towards the south from the eastern coast of the Gulf of Serian have met with huge groups of barbarians that don't want to do a thing with the civilized Seri, despite the fact that the Seri live much better than them. However, the warriors in the western coast have managed to do what was asked of them thanks to the help of the Serian Oar-Ships, as well as the warriors that went towards the north along the coast. The construction of the monument to the spirits keeps on at a fast pace, as more than a half of the stones that were projected to be put have already been erected, and only a few of them plus the tablet stones remain without being put. (expansion, Stonehenge wonder worked on, +4% Spiritualism)

Oceania

The isolated people of Sarawak still feel alone in their gigantic island in the middle of the ocean, but that doesn't mean that they want that to change on short term. In fact, being alone in their island has gone well for them, as they now control the whole island of Saraw thanks to a heavy recruitment campaign. However, that doesn't mean that their work is finished, because they know that soon they will have to go out to keep spreading the word of the God-Emperor to other people and so that the will of the God-Emperor – who recently brought them the power of making fire at will through one of His priests – rules all over the world. (Fire (+2 EC), +1 Economy, expansion, +4% Worship of the God-Emperor)

South America

Chibchan's attempt to expand are giving lots of fruits, literally in the case of several warriors who found a fruit that can be taken from trees and that can be grown up to provide lots of food to people, while the newly conquered terrains are occupied by people using wheeled carts to bring their things with them. At the north east, as the army connects the newest colony to the nation through land, the Oar-Ships manage to keep settling further and in better grounds than what was found before. (Agriculture, Wheel (+2 EC), expansion, +3% Aztec Gods)

As turtles die out, so does the Turtle Cavalry that had been created so many years ago and so does the Darwinia Ultima monarchy. Apparently, now turtles are scared of coming into Darwinia, because not a giant turtle has tried to land in the island in the last 40 years. This means, for some, the fact that the gods (non-existent according to the “religion” the king follows) are angry with them from using the turtles, and others blame the king and his underlings for not doing anything to try to help them find new possible lands or things that would truly help them. (-2 Turtle Cavalry, -3% Atheism)

Finally! The project the Inca Empire launched so many years ago has finally finished! And now all sorts of people travel to see the newly sculpted Incan Heads, featuring the faces of the first 5 Incas that ruled the Empire and several minor others like the first priest of the Inti religion. Now that the work is finished, the Inca has decreed that new lands must be conquered for the good of the Empire and for the good of the conquered people, so that civilization can be brought to them and so that they adore the Sun Inti who governs us all! (Moai Statues finished (+3 growth points turn), expansion, +6% Inti)

SPECIAL INTEREST NEWS:

The Gangelt Tribes

As the Celt tribes of East Anglia fled from the Picts who were devastating everything on their way, they found a group of new people who had settled down in the south of the island called Gauls. In spite of their different languages, the Celts resolved to stay with the newcomers in hopes that, with their swollen numbers, the Picts would at least stop their advance towards the south. The gambit paid, and the Pict army stopped short of a few kilometers of the innermost town of the Gaul colony. After bloodless attempts to drive them out of the island, the Pict army left towards the west in order to conquer those lands who had yet to be touched by the Gauls, who mixed their culture with that of the Celts and the native Angles to form a new culture and group of tribes called Gangelt that immediately requested to be part of the Gaulic Confederation. (Gaulic Confederation and Pictland may now contact each other and make agreements)

In the Tip of the Heel

As the Roman troops who persecuted the South-Italian barbarians suddenly met the Hellenic soldiers, had someone gone hot and tried to attack the unknown people, it might have gone really bad and thrown a prospective friendship to the ground before it started. Fortunately, every soldier was able to keep their cool and cautiously approached the others until there was only a distance of ten feet between the two groups. In spite of their cultural differences, the two generals were able to converse through a rough hand language that allowed them to realize that they were more like each other than what they thought. In the end, each army went back to their territories and each general sent a message to their king, requesting instructions regarding the newly met nation. (Kingdom of Hellenium and Kingdom of Rome may now contact each other and make agreements)

The Italians' Job

As soldiers from the armies of both Rome and Milan met each other, it was quite funny to see that, in spite of not knowing each other, they had similar languages that allowed them to talk, although it was complicated to transmit complex ideas between each other. Soon, some sort of comradeship was started to be felt between the soldiers, with some of them even managing to learn a few words of the others' language, which might cement possible good feelings between the two nations. The Chief of Chiefs of Milan was quick and sent a trade offer to the Roman King, but that offer has yet to be accepted. (Kingdom of Rome and United Tribes of Milan may now contact each other and make agreements; the Kingdom of Milan offers a trade Agreement)

MAP:
Spoiler :

FINIS (for now)

@Everyone: this time it took me a bit less than before to finish everything, including the map. Stats will be updated soonish.

@Amon Savag: try to see whether Crezth's suggestion works for you or whether you can find a new name that doesn't look so out of place.

@Megaman_zx: I hope that any of the current nations is one that you like.

@Everyone: those nations who have already researched 5 techs will in this turn be able to research their first Bronze Age technology. Choose wisely, you never know which of them will give you the best bonus. Also, remember that the first who sends orders will be 100% sure to get said bonus.

Also, THE DEADLINE FOR UPDATE 4 WILL BE NEXT MONDAY 9TH MARCH AT 2 PM GMT+1 (8 AM EST). PLEASE, DO NOT FORGET TO SEND ORDERS BEFORE THEN.

Amon, I hate to break it to you, but Immaculate is right. Naming it Nintendo land with king bowser is just stupid. Its immature and will ruin the game. I'd rather have you not play, and the nation get a better name.

Good update, but my stats say that I'm still researching Wheel...shouldn't it be completed?

Amon, its true. BUT you have played this card.. remember poo NES?

Anyway, i don't care, i can just ignore the name. Yeah it cuts immersion, but only a little, and TBH im not that immersed yet anyway.. this nes is too simplistic.

Great Update!

To Pictland, Conquerors of the north
From the Gaulic Confederation, Union of Gangelt

Welcome, we only have weak translation from the Celts who have heard enough to learn a few words of your language. We currantly seek peace, and trade between our lands.

To Milarqui
Great! I am on AIM if you want but am a little busy! Wills end orders very soon!

Finally: Southern Contact next turn!

I think I'll give this NES a shot. As I know, there are NPC nations, however I would like to gain admittance as a new nation (since none are in China, which is technically historically inaccurate).

Nation Name: Shanjuó
Starting Location e Capitol: OTL Shanghai
Color: Cardinal Red
Starting Tech: Agriculture
Unique Unit: Myriad
The Myriad is technically a term used to describe the units which mostly compose them as they have been transposed across history; they describe 'mixed companies' of archers and infantry of all types, whose primary strength lies in their numbers. Myriads are large battalions (10,000+) well-trained in cooperation and experts at working together to achieve goals, even while the units themselves are by many standards colorless. Myriads perform best in organized warfare and are remarkably adaptable, however ultimately difficult to control and ineffective at holding territory.

A pike platoon in a myriad circa 2000 by the Shanjuonese calendar.

I hope this is acceptable.

double post

good update... eager to start making contact

Ok, so i'm not going to get pyramids? :(

Any suggestions for what I can do to get culture.. i'm not a storyist :( Especially not for this NES

Top Bottom