Livestream #3: "Affinities: Which Direction?" - Aug 28th

i am a bit disappointed:

-why does a supremacy player need so many farms? for feeding the human brains in a jar?
-the aliens don't seem to be a late game threat. in AC aliens could really mess you up due to their combat mechanic
-no military outposts, e.g. bunkers and turrets (as a mix between tile improvements/units) to guard borders
-the units look a bit lame imho especially the mechs

one game that did faction diversification really well was Universe at War: Earth Assault, i would have loved to see drastic faction diversity akin to this game (between the affinities).

Personally, I think CivBE looks do a very good job of making the affinities different both in aesthetic and gameplay but the live stream did not really show it.

I did.

I was hoping to show that Harmony doesn't equate to endless peace with the aliens. That's harder to illustrate with a late-game save, and much easier to show at the opening. I'm sorry if you were disappointed in the absence of late-game Harmony.

Thank you for your honest and direct response Pete, very professional of you.

There is a CNDR with a strength of 72, but it's described as an earlier unit, and has previously been seen with a strength of 40. So it appears that the unique units can be upgraded in a manner similar to the regular infantry and naval units.

It appears that the upgraded units are called "Prime" for Supremacy, and "True" for Purity. For example, the SABR has strength 10, ranged strength 60, but the Prime SABR has strength 30 and ranged strength 96.

Thanks, it was a fun watch. I hope people, seeing responses from a living, breathing person, would cut down on the typical internet insults and -talking. Even if you would prefer different things to be shown, that does not make the decision "dumb" or mean you need to be condescending.

There is a CNDR with a strength of 72, but it's described as an earlier unit, and has previously been seen with a strength of 40. So it appears that the unique units can be upgraded in a manner similar to the regular infantry and naval units.

It appears that the upgraded units are called "Prime" for Supremacy, and "True" for Purity. For example, the SABR has strength 10, ranged strength 60, but the Prime SABR has strength 30 and ranged strength 96.

I noticed that. Did you happen to notice if the prime and true units have any visual differences from the base versions?

I wonder what the moniker will be for advanced Harmony units. I figure it's something biological-sounding. Evolved? Alpha? Apex?

Personally most disappointed that we didn't see any high-Affinity leaders. Would like to see something other than American Caesar and Scary Russian Cyborg. Then again, maybe that's all they've got at this stage...

Mostly i'm just slightly disappointed that next weeks just going to be early game techs and virtues. Unless they show us all of tier 1 for Prosperity, we kind of already know most of the tier 1 virtues from obsessive frame watching. As for the techs, we know the Habitation leafs and the 1st ring of techs already from tooltips in previous livestreams. Early game is something i feel we already know rather well.

ACtually, if we see a bit more of what the leaves for te first ring are, we might get a much better idea of some of the opening paths... nvm my initial comment.

It was cool, but I would like to add my voice to the people who wanted to see how the affinities change the leaders, though this could be easily squashed by some screenshots-- so maybe not the best use of a live stream.

Has the video been posted to YouTube yet? I'm having a problem with Twitch. Every 12 seconds it pauses for a long time to buffer more data. It's obviously impossible to watch the video like that.

i am a bit disappointed:

-why does a supremacy player need so many farms? for feeding the human brains in a jar?

one game that did faction diversification really well was Universe at War: Earth Assault, i would have loved to see drastic faction diversity akin to this game (between the affinities).
I didn't realize I wanted it till right this second but having the affinities diversify in resource generation/requirements as they got to higher affinity levels sounds really cool. First things that popped into my head:

Supremacy: Requires least farms, over a few affinity levels population takes less food per citizen and moves to energy per citizen. End game moving from 2 food to 0.5 food 1.5 energy.
Purity: Requires the most farms, but farms start generating secondary resources (health, energy, production..something balanced).
Harmony: Requires less farms, can enhance farms by generating miasma over them.

This should help keep unique units relevant throughout the entire game, which fixes a problem that was one of my major criticisms of Civ 5.

Mostly i'm just slightly disappointed that next weeks just going to be early game techs and virtues. Unless they show us all of tier 1 for Prosperity, we kind of already know most of the tier 1 virtues from obsessive frame watching. As for the techs, we know the Habitation leafs and the 1st ring of techs already from tooltips in previous livestreams. Early game is something i feel we already know rather well.

ACtually, if we see a bit more of what the leaves for te first ring are, we might get a much better idea of some of the opening paths... nvm my initial comment.

I'm hoping I'll finally find out what the Power Systems tech does.

I'm expecting that the Apex harmony name will be primal or primeval. Very interesting how you get bonus for going single affinity.

I liked the topic and how it was presented. My one issue is the way they commented on choosing an affinity. They acted like going into the game with the idea of sticking to one affinity was somehow logically faulty, and that you should adapt to your landing spot. That is metagaming. If your idea of my leader is that they have a Purity-type outlook, then from an RP perspective you wouldn't change your style because there is no floatstone but there is a ton of xenomass.

It is like "I think that humans should retain their essential humanity, but it is inconvenient to stick to my principles due to lack of resources, so I'm going to hybridize with aliens because the resource is readily available." It doesn't make sense unless you are metagaming, playing the game as if it is a game. Which it is, but I don't think that sticking to one affinity is as logically faulty as they made it seem.

It is like "I think that humans should retain their essential humanity, but it is inconvenient to stick to my principles due to lack of resources, so I'm going to hybridize with aliens because the resource is readily available." It doesn't make sense unless you are metagaming, playing the game as if it is a game.

I see people compromise their deeply held principles for the sake of day-to-day convenience all the time. Not everyone does it, but it is a thing that happens.

I see people compromise their deeply held principles for the sake of day-to-day convenience all the time. Not everyone does it, but it is a thing that happens.

Oh. Well, in that case, I approve. I think I will still endeavor to still stick to Supremacy or Purity though.

Has the video been posted to YouTube yet? I'm having a problem with Twitch. Every 12 seconds it pauses for a long time to buffer more data. It's obviously impossible to watch the video like that.

Can someone please save us from Twitch agony ?
Also if Pete or some other Firaxian read this, please, post videos on Firaxis youtube channel after the stream ends, would be much apreciated

Another thing that happens is you compromise out of necessity and then grow to like it and then find philosophical ways to justify your path as the best path.

One thing he mentioned was sort of hybrid affinities where you haven't fully chosen which path you want to take. Is it possible to get the benefits of more than one or is there always one dominant one to choose from?

Top Bottom