SMACX and Windows 10

Petek

Alpha Centaurian
Administrator
Supporter
Has anyone gotten SMAC or SMAX to run on Windows 10? If so, please post here and describe which version of SMAC or SMAX you used (original release, Planetary Pack, Laptop collection, Sold-out Software, GOG or something else) and which, if any unofficial patches (scient, Yitzi, Kyrub, something else) you had installed. If you tried to run SMACX on Windows 10, but weren't able to do so, please provide the same information as requested above. I recently read that older games (such as most versions of SMACX) that use DRM might be causing problems with Windows 10.

Several gamers have had problems running the game on Windows 10. If the problem is widespread, the future of SMACX looks bleak unless we can find a workaround. Thanks.

Thanks for the information. I'll collect the replies, plus reports on other forums, and post here. Perhaps a pattern will emerge.

At first it didn't work for me on Windows 10.

Windows prompted me to install Directplay and the game began to work as normal.

I am running Yitzi's latest patch and a no-cd.

*This is a GOG version I bought awhile ago.

I think that we now have enough information to explain why some versions of SMACX no longer run under Windows 10, while other versions do run. The problem is that Windows 10 disabled support for a service named secdrv.sys. This service provides copy protection to games and verifies that the game's disc is in the drive when the game starts. See here for more information. If either game doesn't run under Windows 10, the solution is to obtain a version that doesn't require a game disc to be in the drive. Such versions are legally available. Please post here if you need help finding such a patch.

In this thread on AC2, Lxndr stated that the game ran for him under GOG (which has no copy protection), but didn't run under the PRACX mod. The PRACX mod makes many changes to the graphics interface. I suspect that some of these changes aren't compatible with Windows 10.

I did some experiments with PRACX and windows 10 and got them confirmed by Lxndr and Kurvivor:

Turns out PRACX doesn't have a problem with win10, it just doesn't work on the unpatched terranx.exe, you have to install one of the unofficial patches first (tested to work with Yitzi 3.3, 3.4).

Link to Lxndr saying it worked: http://alphacentauri2.info/index.php?topic=14308.180

I've also released two minor new updates to PRACX, the latest one allows a workaround for players who experience graphical artifacts when playing films in SMACX.

I have a Lenovo Yoga and an old CD version of Alpha Centauri. I created an ISO and installed the game on the Lenovo. The game launches, but then crashes to desktop. Is it possible to run the game from an ISO? Any help is appreciated.

It should be possible, IMAO. Not necessary, though. Just do a complete install make a desktop shortcut directly to terran.exe and try compatibility settings on the shortcut for W98 and/or NT. -I don't know anything about Lenovo, so I'm guessing.

Petek is the expert in troubleshooting this sort of thing, and he'll be along to to advise you on patches -which and what order- this should work, though: http://alphacentauri2.info/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=27

I have a Lenovo Yoga and an old CD version of Alpha Centauri. I created an ISO and installed the game on the Lenovo. The game launches, but then crashes to desktop. Is it possible to run the game from an ISO? Any help is appreciated.

Which version of the game are you running? If it's the SOS version, then there's a problem with ISO. If that's the case, I can provide you with a workaround.

I appreciate the help. I've been in the road and haven't been able to research this further. I do appreciate the help. I'll research Petek's post. How do I identify the game
Version? I bought this game new in London, England around 1998-1999, whenever it came out. I was running Windows ME at the time. I didn't see ME as a compatibility option with Windows 10.

GOG plus Yitzi's 3.4 patch did it for me on Win10x64. Had terrible crashing problems before switching to the GOG version.

Would you be able to send me the info needed to run the SOS version in Windows 10

Many Thanks

Top Bottom