Do you miss Wonder Cinematics?

I would rate it as Civ 2 > Civ 5 > Civ 4 or Civ 5 > Civ 2 > Civ 4 for wonder completion presentation. A big issue is budget - Civ always has tons of wonders, each one unique (little to no shared assets) and that means each one needs to be done well for a small budget. Choosing a presentation style that can acomplish all it's goals within that budget is vital. To quote Roger Ebert on his review of the sci-fi movie Primer shot on just a $7000 budget "The movie never looks cheap, because every shot looks as it must look".

Civ 2 movies where fantastic and most of them could be watched over and over again without losing their emotional power. But they where made possible only by the low graphical bar of the time. Even for Civ 3 those postage stamp sized videos wouldn't have cut it, and as soon as you increase the resolution you lose most of the public domain footage and no budget effects that didn't seem out of place when downsampled to first generation Indio encoded AVI files.

Civ 5 recaptures some of the emotional edge of Civ 2 with the emphasis placed on back on powerful music and a good quote doing most of the work. The oil paintings look good (and epic in some cases) yet cost very little to make. One thing that makes me want to put them ahead of Civ 2 (apart from being more technically up to date) is the pacing - they get done what they have to do in a much shorter time so you're more likely to watch them through instead of skipping them.

Civ 4 suffered from a number of things. One was sameness - most of the wonders where the same construction montage every time (in Civ5 compare feeling you get from Porcelain Tower, Brandenburg Gate and Chichen Itza, despite all of them following the music queue+spoken quote+zoom out on oil painting pattern to a T). Another was that budget problem, the number of wonders diluted the budget too much to be aiming for the realistic CGI look. It's not doing the game any favors when prerendered 3D cutscenes seem to use lower budget models and textures then what players have begun to see in rendered in realtime . Finally the music and pacing was flat - you get the feeling the music and the CGI where done seperately and then joined at the end. The fixed 'construction montage' design seems like it limited the director too much as only a few movies manage to combine all their elements into a cohesive and engaging piece.

Hmm... What if they had a slideshow of oil paintings showing different stages of construction?

I like the new art style for wonders and winning screens. :) Don't miss old wonders movies at all.

Civ4 wonder videos were awful. They had no soul.
DavidCAD said:
Civ 4 suffered from a number of things. One was sameness - most of the wonders where the same construction montage every time (in Civ5 compare feeling you get from Porcelain Tower, Brandenburg Gate and Chichen Itza, despite all of them following the music queue+spoken quote+zoom out on oil painting pattern to a T). Another was that budget problem, the number of wonders diluted the budget too much to be aiming for the realistic CGI look. It's not doing the game any favors when prerendered 3D cutscenes seem to use lower budget models and textures then what players have begun to see in rendered in realtime . Finally the music and pacing was flat - you get the feeling the music and the CGI where done seperately and then joined at the end. The fixed 'construction montage' design seems like it limited the director too much as only a few movies manage to combine all their elements into a cohesive and engaging piece.

Huh, interesting how stringently I disagree with these views. "Soulless" does a good job of describing the Civ V oil paintings, in my opinion. They feel flat and uninspired, though pretty enough--beautiful, even--to look at. I find myself barely sparing them a second glance, whereas I always sat back and watched Civ IV's construction montages.

I guess I'm just enamored of Civ IV's conceptual arrangement, of its reflecting of the gameplay achievement of Wonder-building within the visual heralding of that achievement. The videos' emphasis on the construction of the Wonders, the process, captures me much more than any "final product" visualization, no matter how beautiful. As a player, I want to feel that I am building these megalithic constructions, not purchasing or finding them; the time-lapse-construction approach better captures this sense, and better reflects the time devoted (both real-world and game-world) to the Wonders' construction, than does the oil-painting approach. In my opinion, of course.

Additionally, I found some--though by no means all--of Civ IV's musical accompaniments to be quite well done, whereas I find Civ V's musical scores to be instantly forgettable. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I do quite enjoy the quotes employed by Civ V to accompany the Wonders, though. Too bad they aren't read by Leonard Nimoy. ;)

I prefer the oil paintings given I ended up skipping the CivIV cinematics anyway after the first time I saw them.

The victory cinematics are another matter.

I kind of like both. Too bad Civ 5 doesn't have both movie and painting. The painting could be the larger background with the movie in one corner or something.

Yes, and leaders changing clothes for each era, and era-specific music. But I think I prefer Civ4 leaders to these. Those leaders were more expressive and didn't need bland voice acting.

Yes, and leaders changing clothes for each era, and era-specific music. But I think I prefer Civ4 leaders to these. Those leaders were more expressive and didn't need bland voice acting.

The one thing they could at least do is Era-Specific Music.. I just hate that it isn't there. I don't care if it's from Civ 4! I want moar era-specific music D:

Top Bottom