Research: 16th century BC

Mayor of H-Marker Lake
After Pottery our research options will be: (research times are rough approximations)

Hunting (3 turns) – will let us build spears and scouts
Mysticism (4 turns) – Obelisks for culture expansion
Animal Husbandry (9 turns) – Reveal horse and will let us pasture those sheep
Masonry (6 turns) – useless
Writing (9 turns) – Open borders and Library
Metal Casting (34 turns) - Forges and Colossus
Compass (30 turns) – Explorers

I think writing is the best choice for us right now.

Open Borders will give us something to negotiate with our neighbors about. We will finally have a chance to enact actual in game treaties and judge the trustworthiness and reliability of other teams. Also we may need to cross cultural boundaries to make contact with other teams.

Libraries are useful in their own rights, but can also provide a method of expanding our borders and producing great people.

This technology is also on the path to tech trading and Taoism should we choose to pursue those.

I agree with writing next- libs are much better than obelisks at expanding borders.

Following that the next tech i believe should be hunting- with GCA's Uu as a keshik we want them to think we may at least have built some spearmen.

Or hunting, for spears. Or towards Monarchy, for extra happiness.

I haven't completely given up on the BAT deal yet. But more solid info would be nice... and if you have given up, then writing is fine.

Writing will be done in 5 turns, what next?

Do we want to go for a religion, better civics, our UU or some new buildings?

Our next choices are:
Mysticism (5)
Alkphabet (30)
Math (25)
Hunting (4)
Massonry (7)
Animal Husbandry (8)
Metal Casting (36)
Compass (32)

I don't like these large numbers.
I'd say Math (but it's 25 turns, that's a real lot) or AH.

Metal casting- will give us a very large barganing chip when trading against other teams, also with copper nearby and all the water the colossus would be a very very good wonder to have.

MC ..see BC's thought on this. ALSO...Forges are powerfully early on.

I think Alphabet would be most valuable at the moment. Even if we got MC as a bargaining chip all we would be able to do is trade it to one other civ then it becomes their bargaining chip. Lets take a chance to be in control of our tech deals and not have to depend on the civs that took the time to research Alphabet for themselves.

Think then if we cant come to an agreement we should poll it, i imagine as GCA got writing so long ago they are on the way to alphabet but i could be wrong- also on maps like this the colossus is excellent so i do believe that we should go that way however if the majority say otherwise i'll go with them.

I dislike polls; they replace reasons and explanations with yes/no votes. We still have nearly a week to consider the reasons given for the various research paths and explain our approving or not.

When its time for us to start the next tech I'll just go back through the thread and tally the votes.

Animal Husbandry is qued up as our next research. Lets find some horses and hook 'em up!

Top Bottom