How to pwn the world with the Khmer Empire (34 civ world map)

warhead66

Warlord
Hey guys!

ok since i don't have any screenshots i'll make it quick and easy to read.

1. Make sure you build cities as far up north as reasonable (where all the good resources stop) and as far west as possible (where you're coming too close to India

2. That rainforest wants to haggle, now chop it the hell down! Get iron working as fast as reasonably possible and start chopping it down. before you can actually chop jungle down you should focus on getting a lot of fields and roads so that when the forest is gone you will have a lot of population to focus on the rich in hammer places.

3. get a lot of workers, chopping down jungle takes time, and if you spend too much time on it, you won't be able to benefit from your rare resources

4. Don't piss anyone off to begin with. If you loose any of your potentially resource rich cities you're a goner because you're narrowed into a corner to begin with, indo china is a bottleneck if your borders aren't stretching up to china and india.

5. Get calender. Once you have calender, all your rare resources such as: tons of silk, rice, incense, bananas, gold and ivory (i could go on) your power should boom.

6. build mines. Once the rain forest is cleared there will be a ton of hills close to the himalayas and in south china. these hills will provide you with a ton of hammers, making your cities faster than pretty much any other cities in the world (except for london.. goddamnit i hate london)

7. don't focus on culture in your capital, it's a complete waste. your capital is very well defended due to the fact that it is so far away, and it can't really touch culture in india. instead focus your culture on your western and northern cities.

8. take on china first. Once you have ivory make sure you don't piss of india, India has ivory as well which makes them capable of making war elephants, not as strong as ballista elephants but still very annoying. With ballista elephants you can ram down china in just a few turns. despite their source of iron and horses they aren't strong enough to compete with ballista elephants. They ram down the horses and are way strong than swordsmen making them invulnerable to anything china can produce.

9. don't wait. If china gets knights, you're doomed because you don't have a chance in hell getting either horses or iron.

10 colonize Australia and build cities on all of the major Polynesian islands/indonesian. look for the ones with hills and rare resources, pretty obvious. get them working fast by sending extra workers so that they don't eat from your treasury. build a few cities in australia and colonize it. it will make you filthy rich, and australia is pretty much useless to you due to the extremely high city maintainance even with state property.

once all of this is done you should be able to take on anyone, military culturally or economically. Wonders are practical but not necessary. I had the great library which is good for research because getting to know people and trading can be a bit difficult when your khmer, but again you can do fine without it. It's important to trade a lot and due to your overflow of recourses you can sell everything to extremely low prices, making you the dominant one in all relationships. no one can benifit from attacking you because getting to your country takes such a long ass time. The ideal thing to do after having taken china is either going to india or Korea, i went to korea first because they pissed me off. Colonizing Japan will make you even richer and sailing to america and doing the same there well .. yeah you get the drift .. :p

well that turned out long, but it was a huge ass game! quite a lot of things i didn't cover like religion and modern warfare, but after i got down china my economy and production boomed so much it almost became too easy and i played on emperor, enjoy!

I've got an idea... Find the biggest animal you can. A goat... Or a horse... Or... An elephant, yeah! Then stick an archer on top of it. Or no, something bigger... A spear thrower... A BALLISTA! So you get this elephant with a ballista on top of it and send him at another Civilization, and watch it flee and crumble in the face of this apocalyptic war machine. In the modern era, upgrade them to sharks with laser beams on their heads, rinse, and repeat.

I've got an idea... Find the biggest animal you can. A goat... Or a horse... Or... An elephant, yeah! Then stick an archer on top of it. Or no, something bigger... A spear thrower... A BALLISTA! So you get this elephant with a ballista on top of it and send him at another Civilization, and watch it flee and crumble in the face of this apocalyptic war machine. In the modern era, upgrade them to sharks with laser beams on their heads, rinse, and repeat.

Ballista Elephants.. what the hell man..

I'm lovin the adding new empires thing but BOY does the Khmer suck.

Hey guys!

8. take on china first. Once you have ivory make sure you don't piss of india, India has ivory as well which makes them capable of making war elephants, not as strong as ballista elephants but still very annoying. With ballista elephants you can ram down china in just a few turns. despite their source of iron and horses they aren't strong enough to compete with ballista elephants. They ram down the horses and are way strong than swordsmen making them invulnerable to anything china can produce.

huh...spears? longbows?

man, did just discovered this Civ4 game? You are stating such obvious ideas...

huh...spears? longbows?

man, did just discovered this Civ4 game? You are stating such obvious ideas...

:lol: haha no but you obviously have. first of all elephants.. hmm thick skin and huge beasts.. ballista elephants, thick skin, huge beast, huge arrows, tusks and what the hell the guys on top of them have pikes as well.. now try asking again.. do you REALLY think longbowmen and pikemen/spearmen/macemen are any good vs Ballista elephants? here's a hint use the civilopedia. ;)

heh i'm sensing some kind of irony.. dunno what you have against Ballista elephants i think they rule. love the concept of the biggest thing you can get in every single branch! :lol:

hmm in what way? you don't like the idea of the unit or you think it's just plain bad? I might agree with you on the fact that it's too good. elephants are already extremely strong for their age of origin, and when you get a special unit that is extra efficient against all the "anti elephant" units they almost make it too easy.

The Khmer UU is a bit gimmicky, sure, but that doesn't mean the Khmer "sucks". There's more to a civ than a unique unit.

I like the Khmer, they're fantastic REX/builders given the right kind of geography. The Baray has great synergy with the Expansive trait.

The Khmer UU is a bit gimmicky, sure, but that doesn't mean the Khmer "sucks". There's more to a civ than a unique unit.

I like the Khmer, they're fantastic REX/builders given the right kind of geography. The Baray has great synergy with the Expansive trait.

exactly! thanks for pointing that out:goodjob:

the thing about the ballista elephant is that it might look overdone but they actually have existed. they used them to battle the thai, it's a historical fact.

baray is absolutely awesome, it booms your population and keeps them clean..

heh i'm sensing some kind of irony.. dunno what you have against Ballista elephants i think they rule. love the concept of the biggest thing you can get in every single branch! :lol:

Heh, nothing against them. I mean, they aren't that great a unit, but that doesn't mean I hate them. They just seem a little silly in concept to me - a little too close to sharks with laser beams on their heads. Though, what's frightening is that they actually did exist in some capacity or another :crazyeye:

Personally, I'd give them the ability to bombard a city (not collateral damage, just bombard).

Ballistia elephants dont require archery? What? :crazyeye:

Ballista Elephants are one of the most specialized land UUs in the game. But they will seek out and destroy your horse units from your SOD, ignoring all those nice defensive units you went to all the trouble to include. In this specific instance they are quite good.

BTW, how come whenever I play as the Khmer, I never start close to elephants?

yeah i've never gotten to actually use the special ability of the ballista elephants. It's ok though, since elephants rock regardless.

Top Bottom