Starting next to Shaka and Monty

Theruss

Warlord
Game is practically over by 950 BC. Naturally both of them declare war on you and tag team your 2 cities... :cry:

:aargh:

I can survive them. Having Monty, Shaka, Genghis, and Attila has your neighbor is an instant death

I was Zulud in my last game :sad: That's life, it will happen every now and then, perhaps it will become a 'civ' rites of passage :smug:

If I had them as neighbors on diety... i'd chop an army of archers and level them up on the waves of units. Worked well when I had shaka and atilla as neighbors.

I was Zulud in my last game :sad: That's life, it will happen every now and then, perhaps it will become a 'civ' rites of passage :smug:

Sure, the next nuke-lovin' Ghandi.

Monty also seems kinda...passé in the light of newer, more "toothy" warmongers.

Just bribe Monty to attack Shaka.

Then you'll only have Shaka to deal with...

Monty also seems kinda...passé in the light of newer, more "toothy" warmongers.

In my last game he was in, he sat on his islands trying to build to cultural victory and only went to war when I asked him to. Of five rival civs in the game, he was the only one who never attacked me.

I have also found Monty to be a lot nicer. Shaka is a jerk though, as is Augustus who is ALWAYS the first to DoF AND DoW me. And I'm not a fan of China either. If I'm her neighbor she always attacks, if not she gets facerolled by the AI around her

Makes sense monty would be nicer, he was the moron who let the spanish into his city as honored guests rather than be-heading them. And I agree having all of these around you is not necessarily a death situation depending on map size. If you can nab a few luxuries trade them away to get the AI's to attack one another. Then you just have to step in and check one of them if things go badly for any others, you dont want one to nab all their territory and have no one else to fight.

Last game had Shaka within 10 tiles of my capital (ridiculous really) so I stole his first worker, pillaged his improvements and captured his first 2 settlers. Somehow he still managed to plop down 5 very quick cities. It was so insane I couldn't be upset, I was just impressed. Eventually he actually just went for peace and we led a very tense alliance for a while (same religion, tons of trade routes between us). Had to bribe to keep him at war with Ethiopia and Arabia (coincidentally my religious rivals) in order to keep him preoccupied.

I found that monty isn't as dangerous as before, in the two games i played with him as neighbour he didn't expand at all, he built a massive army with early units, probably too soon for his economy to cope with it.

Shaka is always dangerous in my experience, you should build a good army if he's next to you, and try to slow him down by all means.

If you're unprepared when he hits civil service and impis, you can consider yourself dead.

I never managed to make him friend with trade only, i think you need a decent army to befriend him.

Makes sense monty would be nicer, he was the moron who let the spanish into his city as honored guests rather than be-heading them. And I agree having all of these around you is not necessarily a death situation depending on map size. If you can nab a few luxuries trade them away to get the AI's to attack one another. Then you just have to step in and check one of them if things go badly for any others, you dont want one to nab all their territory and have no one else to fight.

this is Montezuma I, he wasn't a moron by any means. Montezuma II, now that was a terrible leader.

I just had a game with a runaway Montezuma. He went Autocracy while the rest of the world followed me to Freedom. Crazy Monty spent the later part of the game in deep unhappiness, refused to switch ideologies, had several of his cities flip, razed some of his conquests long after he had gained them, and kept taking city-states, even though he was so deeply unhappy.

I'm not sure what the point of his strategy was. Maybe he was trying to whittle down my city-state allies, but he really shot himself in the foot happiness-wise.

Top Bottom