Has anyone won a non-domination victory?

vale

Mathematician
Obviously domination is the victory type most geared towards early completion (so good for the demo) and is easily doable early (500ad is well within reach).

I've been close on Cultural.

I haven't even come within a country mile of economic (maybe 2000 gold).

And technological is clearly impossible at the moment.

Anyone have any luck with Cultural or Economic? Any tips? Keep in mind I'm referring to the demo which ends in 1250 ad.

I'm thinking it might not be doable...at least, not on Warlord.
Try Chieftain then. I tried building stonehenge and spamming cities with temples in them. Maybe I should have taken some capitals in the early game for a diplo-cultural win.

The GPP mechanics are not as transparent as Civ 4. Is it the same mechanic where one overpowering city can dominate your GP production ala CIV4? Or is the pool a global style?

I don't think it's competly impossible to get a tech victory. After reading this thread i tried for Cultural victory. I only got a total of 8, not enough wonders i guess. I did incidently get a decent ways down the tree. I made my to Cannons through good old fashioned research,and a little trade. Funny seeing legions against cannons by the way. While sailing along I was given navigation,seemingly at random. I was given a galleon with the tech which led me to atlantis, giving me a couple of free techs. I also completed Oxford University, giving me the one and only Mahatten Project tech. I was researching rifling when i was cut off.

In case you don't know it, you are not allowed to research any of the modern techs on the demo. So Tech victory is literally not possible.

I don't think it's competly impossible to get a tech victory. After reading this thread i tried for Cultural victory. I only got a total of 8, not enough wonders i guess. I did incidently get a decent ways down the tree. I made my to Cannons through good old fashioned research,and a little trade. Funny seeing legions against cannons by the way. While sailing along I was given navigation,seemingly at random. I was given a galleon with the tech which led me to atlantis, giving me a couple of free techs. I also completed Oxford University, giving me the one and only Mahatten Project tech. I was researching rifling when i was cut off.
Aren't some of the techs locked in the demo? When I was randomly browsing around the tech tree some of them said "purchase the full game to unlock blah".

as far as I can tell, it is random.

if you hold down r2, or right trigger, then that little what your doing thing appears, if you look at the culture production like economic it builds up and then you get a great person in your capital. so to get more great people jsut improve your culture production.

if you hold down r2, or right trigger, then that little what your doing thing appears, if you look at the culture production like economic it builds up and then you get a great person in your capital. so to get more great people jsut improve your culture production.
Nice catch. So it appears it is ok to spread your culture production out over many cities rather than concentrate on one.

So that at least gives me some ideas for a demo culture victory. I think Romans are the way to go for the half price wonders, early republic and more great people eventually.

Grab stonehenge and spam cities with temples in them. Get your best production city churning out wonders. Don't pop great people for insta builds or techs because I think that costs them as a point towards victory. I'm gonna give it a shot.

I realize when you get the great people isn't random, but I think which type of great person you get is random. I never got a great builder, but I got 1 great leader, 4 great scientists, and 1 great...culture...person...maybe diplomat? I used him to convert a city over to my empire.

I was browsing through the Civpedia, and from what I could tell, each tech has some sort of weight to which type of great person it gives. The example it gave was when you research Invention the probability of getting a great builder, specifically Leonardo DaVinci increased. Don't quote me on it though!

I was browsing through the Civpedia, and from what I could tell, each tech has some sort of weight to which type of great person it gives. The example it gave was when you research Invention the probability of getting a great builder, specifically Leonardo DaVinci increased. Don't quote me on it though!
I saw that too.

The system is still hard to manipulate to greatly influence the type of great people you get.

Adding: It is kind of funny to see quote tags around your statement though.

So nobody has had luck with a non domination victory still?

I think the romans are the right civ to attempt cultural with because of the 1/2 priced wonders. Conquer the Egyptians at some point for the bonus wonder.

But I still haven't really come close. I would consider starting on the UN wonder close and I haven't made it there yet.

the closest I got was with the romans after failing a domination victory due to greek very experienced greek hopilites. I havent been able to get close since.

Yea you cant build the UN cause you need a modern age tech, no?

So I think all non-domination wins are impossible.

Which difficulty level are we talking here?

I played a game as Caesar on chieftan and wiped out a couple of people by 1250 ad but not a domination win. The other games I played were on warlord and I always got slaughtered when attacking enemy capitals. Hoplites and archer armies just wiping out legion and horseman armies. Seems to me if going domination, catapults have to be a priority.

The way I've approached the game thus far is to go after techs I have resources for. Everything seems to build, grow, or research pretty slow if you don't have granaries, resources, or courthouses. Some of the improvements can be real nice. for instance, marble on plains becomes a 3f 2h tile with knowledge of masonry and a granary built (pottery). It was the first instance I noticed one tile being augmented from two different fields (in this case a tech and a building).

The game seems to move pretty fast so whatever victory you're going after, it's going to be a focused effort. Civ IV seems to be a little more forgiving, at least up through emperor.

With the demo, I think the only ways to win are domination and cultural and only then on the chieftan difficulty. Catapults move too slow I think for a warlord domination.

Top Bottom