Ridiculous AI Aggression

The AI on deity are only balanced if you are at the same pace as them. If you fall behind i'll admit they are horribly aggressive ( declaring war on you and saying that your puny civlization will be squashed out of existence or some shizzle ) If you get ahead and don't attack them then they attack you is what i have found.
BTW never won a domination victory on Deity, i could if i did the blitzkreig thing but i dont like having 3 cities in places i didnt pick.
Only won an economic ( i was on an island and no civ ever met me lol - i made sure that i stayed put :p )
And cultural (extremely lucky with the british and had a great leader and barracks in capital and was pumping out armies with 3 upgrades each)
AND now a tech victory lol huzzah! (aztecs modern era 900ad - still baffled myself lol..)

I've only been playing on Chieftain and Warlord (I know, I'm a softie!), but I've noticed the same thing. It's just CONSTANT warfare, and frankly, I don't really like to play that way. I still love the game, but I hope they fix this in the next console version of Civ.

Started my first game last night on Warlord level.

I too noticed that the AI loves to declare war on your a lot. At first I was screaming bloody murder, but when you learn how to deal with the situation, it's actually a good position to be in.

I've managed to steal 3 great people from two of my opponents, conquer 4 cities from one, and be number two in the tech race during this state of constant war.

At Warlord level I think the AI does a poor job at waging war. He sends out a lot of units/armies after you but only in staggered waves. Not sure if the AI behaves more intelligently in higher levels.

The other flaw in the game, unless the AI cheats, is that if you are not at war with someone you cannot enter another civs lands. So what if the every AI nation is at war with you and not anyone else? How are they going to get their units to your land if they are not allowed to move through other nations lands? Unless either the AI cheats or there is an RoP treaty that can be signed that I haven't discovered yet. (not sure if Right of Passage is a treaty option in CivRev)

I bet Sid Meier is reading this thread right now, laughing his a** off. :lol:

The other flaw in the game, unless the AI cheats, is that if you are not at war with someone you cannot enter another civs lands. So what if the every AI nation is at war with you and not anyone else? How are they going to get their units to your land if they are not allowed to move through other nations lands? Unless either the AI cheats or there is an RoP treaty that can be signed that I haven't discovered yet. (not sure if Right of Passage is a treaty option in CivRev)

they can use boat...

I just post this but this is how the "aggressiveness" works

If you are weaker than you opponent he will always ask you for something. The AI abuse the weakest. The AI is aggressive with the weak, check what you adviser tell you. If you are in better shape usually if you denied a request he is not going to declare war.

My best example is that I was playing in Emperor and my neighbors were the Russian and the Mongol. They NEVER ask me for anything and actually I was the one requesting tributes. Check with you advisers and you will notice who is ahead of who.

thanks for the info, that seems correct.

I just played a game on emperor and the egyptien took the lead very quickly in technology.They won the space without any AI attacking them.

I did paid sometime so that they would declare war, but its juts for 5 turn or something like that and they don't do much.

It just don't feel like you are playing with a logical player. It's more like playing only for the challenge, and I don't think it's an interesting idea for such a game.

If you dislike the AI, play MP instead, logical human players!

Like me!!

Yes, this is the biggest flaw in this game.
The AI aggression, and how much diplomacy was dumbed down. I think diplomacy as it was in CivIV is one thing that inexperienced players would have been able to wrap their heads around.

It is ridiculous not to have open borders and other treaties, and the little tech trading they have does not come close to the robust trade system in CivIV. I also really miss the experience of working with an AI to get them to be friends, and caring if the AI like me or not. Worrying about how much you are liked on the world stage was an important part of the game. Yeah, of course they were gonna have AI who hated you and you were fighting with, but it always had a reason (tense borders, religion, etc...)

I can deal with all the other instances of simplifying the game, and even rather like quite a lot of them, but the complex diplomacy is something I really miss. And with the way the AI is, you might as well just have 'always war' on.

In my last multiplayer game, the Romans and Germans (both player led teams) quit after they lost a few cities and the wars weren't going their way, so it was between me and the Greeks. I'm not sure what the Greeks were doing though because as I closed in on an economic victory, the AI led civs (Americans and Romans, the Germans were too weak from my earlier wars) tried to knock me out before I could get the victory, which made it much more difficult for me. But the human led Civilization did nothing to try to stop my economic victory, it was sort of funny; the AI was much more aware of what I was up to than the human player was. As far as I could tell, he wasn't playing for any particular victory either.

It just seems nonsensical to me. It doesn't matter what my relations are with them, whether I'm more powerful then them, nothing; it's war!

I must say that the AI is the worst part of CivRev for me. I don't think it's all that well done, but that's my complaint with most games and I bought this game mostly for the multiplayer, so I guess I should stop crying, huh?

Could it be that we are all too good of players and the ai is designed to attack the best/highest score player? I mean I wouldn't site around and watch a person with a high school, I would attack them or do something about it.

I like that the AI is willing to attack me to prevent me from achieving victory. It seems quite aware of my plans to win and it tries to stop me. I think that's fair enough, that's what a human player would do too.

If another AI is winning, they will still attack you... Now that is not what another player would be doing.

I'm not that good, I've win only one of four game on emperor (but king is way to easy for me), And it's alway weird to have 3 or 4 AI civ attacking you while one of them is winning the game.

I played my first multiplayer game, and it was awesome. But I was wondering, is the AI on King in multiplayer? and is there any way to change it?

It's kind of the same problem that Civ4 Vanilla has; the AI just wants to kill the human, it doesn't care what one of it's own is doing. I don't see the AI attack each other very often, either.

Top Bottom