[BNW] City State kills Civilisation. How frequent is this?

linaker

Chieftain
My army was closing in on Seville, Isabella's last city, when a small force from neighbouring Antwerp barged past and conquered the city, removing Isabella and Spain from the game.

It worked out well for me, as Antwerp razed the city, which was my plan for it. So I avoided the diplomatic penalties for taking a city and destroying a civilisation and ended up with prime land to settle. Is letting your City State allies take the rap for conquest a tactic that you can employ? I wasn't even aware City States could do that.

They seem to always raze the cities they capture but it's not something to really count on when fighting the AI to have city states take out the opposition so you don't get penalized.

I wonder how it works for domination then if a CityState conquers an AI capital. Obviously a capital can't be razed so does the player have to declare war on the CS to capture the capital?

Yes, the player can DOW a CS to take that capital, and would need to in order to win a BNW domination victory.

Many times I have played have I saw multiple cities a city state occupied, especially taking them from other Civs. It's quite funny actually, once saw a city state with three cities.

Yes, the player can DOW a CS to take that capital, and would need to in order to win a BNW domination victory.

I thought you only had to be the last civ with your original capital intact, and not actually in control of all capitals, in order to win a domination victory? It's been a while since I went for a DV though, so I might be wrong.

...Is letting your City State allies take the rap for conquest a tactic that you can employ? I wasn't even aware City States could do that.
Indeed, but it is not a reliable strategy as sometimes the CS won't attack, and sometimes it does. I believe the CS needs to be 10 tiles or less away from the target city.

If a CS captures an original capital you don't need to to (re)capture that for a DomV. Watch Peddrolelms Mongolia LP for confirmation, where iirc he looses one to a CS.

How frequent is it? What a strange question. It all depends on the circumstances of the game. Some games you`ll never see it, probably because there are too few CS` or they are too far away from any Civ, other times you might see it every game if they`re close enough to a weakened Civ.

I often try to turn CS` against any near enemies, even friendlies, just in case. They can act as a greater buffer to hostile Civs. The AI knows there importance too, often trying to keep them on their side.

In BNW, the domination victory condition was changed to require that you control all original capitals. Prior to that change, it was sufficient to merely be the last player in possession of their original capital (so a CS taking an AI capital helped your victory).

I wonder how it works for domination then if a CityState conquers an AI capital. Obviously a capital can't be razed so does the player have to declare war on the CS to capture the capital?

Yes. It still helps you out because you would get an "extreme" warmonger penalty for taking the AI's last city. You will get a "major" penalty for capturing it from the CS (assuming you don't also take the CS itself) It works a lot better when the AI's last city is not their capital (just let the CS burn it down) but you can't always control that.

Sometimes you can bombard an enemy city down to 0 health points and give your nearby allied CS an infantry or mobile SAM or destroyer and they will just disband it instead of attacking :(

Sometimes you can bombard an enemy city down to 0 health points and give your nearby allied CS an infantry or mobile SAM or destroyer and they will just disband it instead of attacking :(

I've never seen that

Yes. It still helps you out because you would get an "extreme" warmonger penalty for taking the AI's last city.

(

I still always take it because I can`t resist seeing the Leader bow down in defeat, especially if they`ve been a pain in the ass. Worth all the warmonger hit I get! :D

In BNW, the domination victory condition was changed to require that you control all original capitals. Prior to that change, it was sufficient to merely be the last player in possession of their original capital (so a CS taking an AI capital helped your victory).
Indeed, but when a CS captures a capital the victory progress screen states <civ in question> didn't build a capital so therefore is no capital to control.

Top Bottom