Need tips for Emperor?

Define "right off the bat?" I mean, unless you're on Raging Barbarians an archer and a warrior (or two archers) should be sufficient to clear them out...

I don't have the turn number, but it's epic speed. I had a lot of salt, so my original build order was scout, then I started a worker (my research was first pottery, mining, then archery). When pottery was done, I switched production to a shrine. That finished and I then built an archer, as barbs were already in my area and attacking my city. Then I built my worker.

There were also three barb camps in my general area. One was about 4 tiles away, the other two were about a half-dozen tiles away. Naturally, while I'm taking care of one barb camp, the barbs from the other camp go after my city (so I have to bombard them). And I can't use my worker because I don't want him being captured. So I finish off that barb and one camp, get my worker to start mining again, and then a barb from another camp comes to my city. Rinse and repeat. And the barbs seemed to ignore the AI scouts that were near my borders, and instead went after my units. Wouldn't an AI scout be easier to kill for them than my warrior?

I guess I have seen so many videos where the barbs don't bother the capitals too much in the early game, and they seem to be going after the AI. Of course those are deity games, and I only play emperor (sometimes immortal). I guess it seems that the barbs aren't as aggressive on deity as they are lower levels.

Hope that makes sense. And raging barbarians is not turned on.

To add: After I cleaned out the barb camps, I then had to deal with new barb camps that spawned a tile out of my lit-up areas. Barb horseman then proceeded to pillage my salt mines. I take care of that barb, and lo and behold, another camp spawns south of me, and he proceeds to pillage another salt.

I'm thinking I'm now going to start positioning troops outside my borders every so tiles away to stop these camps from spawning.

Anyway--I ended up taking care of it, but it just seems that I spend a lot of the early game dealing with the barbs, while the AI doesn't seem to have as many problems.

Emperor is a lot easier done when using tradition.
In this difficulty level you have a lot easier access to world wonders.
You also get to be able to be dominant since there are civilizations that build less units and get checked by other AI civilizations a lot more often when the civilization is attempting to conquer other cities through diplomatic penalties.
The only thing you really have to watch out is the espionage. Watch your capital and make sure you leave a spy there for counterespionage because in emperor you get a lot of technology that ais often love to steal.

I don't have the turn number, but it's epic speed. I had a lot of salt, so my original build order was scout, then I started a worker (my research was first pottery, mining, then archery). When pottery was done, I switched production to a shrine. That finished and I then built an archer, as barbs were already in my area and attacking my city. Then I built my worker.

There were also three barb camps in my general area. One was about 4 tiles away, the other two were about a half-dozen tiles away. Naturally, while I'm taking care of one barb camp, the barbs from the other camp go after my city (so I have to bombard them). And I can't use my worker because I don't want him being captured. So I finish off that barb and one camp, get my worker to start mining again, and then a barb from another camp comes to my city. Rinse and repeat. And the barbs seemed to ignore the AI scouts that were near my borders, and instead went after my units. Wouldn't an AI scout be easier to kill for them than my warrior?

I guess I have seen so many videos where the barbs don't bother the capitals too much in the early game, and they seem to be going after the AI. Of course those are deity games, and I only play emperor (sometimes immortal). I guess it seems that the barbs aren't as aggressive on deity as they are lower levels.

Hope that makes sense. And raging barbarians is not turned on.

To add: After I cleaned out the barb camps, I then had to deal with new barb camps that spawned a tile out of my lit-up areas. Barb horseman then proceeded to pillage my salt mines. I take care of that barb, and lo and behold, another camp spawns south of me, and he proceeds to pillage another salt.

I'm thinking I'm now going to start positioning troops outside my borders every so tiles away to stop these camps from spawning.

Anyway--I ended up taking care of it, but it just seems that I spend a lot of the early game dealing with the barbs, while the AI doesn't seem to have as many problems.

Its the level, for me on emperor barbarians are a bigger headache than on immortal, one thing i do like though is that quite often i get AI workers that have been captured

Aztecs are great fun for barbarians, you can pick up a lot of culture

Thank you to everyone that posted helpful advice. Just won my first game on Immortal with all the tips that have been given, played as The Inca again seeing as after that other win I grew fond of them. Originally I was going for a science victory with a twist of domination, I was swimming in gold in the early game due to having Venice trading with me and getting some good luxuries near my first two cities which allowed me to pay for other civs to DoW each other, which left some severely weakened and I was able to take their Capitols in the mid game. After that I thought I was well on my way to victory when I realized that Rome hadn't budged through all the aggression and had a huge economy and a slight science lead. When I saw that they had completed two spaceship parts and I had only completed one I decided that the only way I'd win this game was to conquer Rome who along with a weakened Germany, were the only civs who's original Capitol I didn't own. So I DoW'd Rome and took his Capitol then razed his strong cities. I won the game through domination, sweeping up Germany's Capitol a slight bit after Rome was defeated. I must have wiped out Rome's chance of winning the game with about 10 turns to Rome finishing the spaceship. Scary game, but it was probably the best I've had yet :D

gratz :) its more impressive than my first immortal win which was cheese (england on a water map)

@twilson1972: So far as the Aztecs--I agree, they are very fun to play. I play with raging barbs when I play them.

Congratulations, Sebulous!

Thank you to everyone that posted helpful advice. Just won my first game on Immortal with all the tips that have been given, played as The Inca again seeing as after that other win I grew fond of them. Originally I was going for a science victory with a twist of domination, I was swimming in gold in the early game due to having Venice trading with me and getting some good luxuries near my first two cities which allowed me to pay for other civs to DoW each other, which left some severely weakened and I was able to take their Capitols in the mid game. After that I thought I was well on my way to victory when I realized that Rome hadn't budged through all the aggression and had a huge economy and a slight science lead. When I saw that they had completed two spaceship parts and I had only completed one I decided that the only way I'd win this game was to conquer Rome who along with a weakened Germany, were the only civs who's original Capitol I didn't own. So I DoW'd Rome and took his Capitol then razed his strong cities. I won the game through domination, sweeping up Germany's Capitol a slight bit after Rome was defeated. I must have wiped out Rome's chance of winning the game with about 10 turns to Rome finishing the spaceship. Scary game, but it was probably the best I've had yet :D

Haha, nice one. This is what it is all about for me...having uncertainty over a win makes it fun.

Top Bottom