Rocks 2 Rockets

D/Ling now, I'm looking forward to seeing how V24 plays with the V27 dll. :goodjob:

Would you be also please willing also to PM me the specifics of the new thing you are planning off of this (I assume you don't want to post it)? I'd be interested in helping with that project if you'd be willing.

First pass notes (bear in mind that this is my first attempt at either R2R or C2C, so forgive me if I report issues known to one or either!)

Shortcut in mod file still points to C2C (not a major issue, since I have to edit it for to delete "(x86)" from the end of "/Programe Files.../").

Attempting to enter world builder on Large or greater map size causes memory allocation error ("bad allocation").

Memory allocation error after generating one duel map and one standard map (or one standard map) on attempting to start a new map (or attempting or regenerate map).

Crashed out on first attempt to load save (on turn 1).

Got about sixty turns in (in hindsight, maybe Eternity was not the optimal setting to start with (especially once I realised how long it is before you can build additional cities or even get your production up!), but I did want to see what it was lie in practise) before a volcano erupted right next to the only improvement I had built; attempting to reload crashed it out to the desktop.

It was running fine - but quite slow - up until then.

And that is about all I think I have time for (as, with all the loading times (nearly as bad as Civ V!) and learning the ropes/tech/tree and such, that's taken all evening.)

Initial impressions, then, even cut down, R2R is still fairly slow (I'm not sure it was any appreciably faster than C2C, but of course, I didn't even get as far as the first turn with that, so...!) The loading times are still going to be fairly extensive (as it appears that you can only load a game once before having to restart the whole game).

This may not be of help to you at all (it wasn't especially constructive, I know, sorry!), but I tried, at any rate! And at least you sort of know it sort of works on a low-end machine, so there's that...!

(For the record, I'm on XP, 2 gig ram, 2.7-ish dual core processor and a Geforce 9800 1 gig graphics card.)

Shortcut in mod file still points to C2C (not a major issue, since I have to edit it for to delete "(x86)" from the end of "/Programe Files.../").
I realized that after I had started uploading it. It is named "C2C" rather than "R2R", so I guess you could say "R2R comes with a free C2C shortcut!"

There is an R2R icon in there in the Rocks2Rockets folder that you can point your shortcut at.

Attempting to enter world builder on Large or greater map size causes memory allocation error ("bad allocation").

Not very surprising given your low memory status. Going into Worldbuilder is more demanding than playing the game, at least in the early parts of the game.

Memory allocation error after generating one duel map and one standard map (or one standard map) on attempting to start a new map (or attempting or regenerate map).

Crashed out on first attempt to load save (on turn 1).

Got about sixty turns in (in hindsight, maybe Eternity was not the optimal setting to start with (especially once I realised how long it is before you can build additional cities or even get your production up!), but I did want to see what it was lie in practise) before a volcano erupted right next to the only improvement I had built; attempting to reload crashed it out to the desktop.

I pretty much never reload, or regenerate a map, so have never experienced the problems related to that. It does not surprise me that it doesn't work very well.

R2R does still have the "volcano issues" that C2C has only recently been adjusting. I was thinking of adjusting it by lowering the weight of the volcano creating event and raising the weight for going dormant but never got around to it.

It was running fine - but quite slow - up until then.

And that is about all I think I have time for (as, with all the loading times (nearly as bad as Civ V!) and learning the ropes/tech/tree and such, that's taken all evening.)

Initial impressions, then, even cut down, R2R is still fairly slow (I'm not sure it was any appreciably faster than C2C, but of course, I didn't even get as far as the first turn with that, so...!) The loading times are still going to be fairly extensive (as it appears that you can only load a game once before having to restart the whole game).

This may not be of help to you at all (it wasn't especially constructive, I know, sorry!), but I tried, at any rate! And at least you sort of know it sort of works on a low-end machine, so there's that...!

(For the record, I'm on XP, 2 gig ram, 2.7-ish dual core processor and a Geforce 9800 1 gig graphics card.)

It is good to know that it works at all. So far you are the only one who has said so. According the ModDB there have been 30 downloads (at least 2 of which were ModDB staff who downloaded it for approval checking purposes) and you are the first to say anything about it.

I have today taken a game on a Large map at Marathon speed, no viewport, up to turn 250 without difficulty. Up around turn 250 the AI turn processing times are mostly around 9 - 10 seconds, I think. This is using the computer mentioned before, which has a 7 year old Athlon 64 X2 3800+ CPU and 2GB of DDR400 memory with a 1GB GeForce GT 520 graphics card. (The CPU and memory are overclocked, but only by 5% so the CPU is clocked half way between the normal 3800+ and the next faster one, the 4200+, and the memory is actually running as DDR 420. The memory does have very fast timings, such as a CAS latency of only 2, and is still running at a 1T command rate. If anybody here understands that, or cares...)

Thanks for the feedback!

I've tried 3 times today to d/l. Every time Moddb sends me to game front. When I click download button there after the 5 second countdown I get the 403- Forbidden. :dunno:

JosEPh

It took two tries for me to download. the first timed out after about an hour but the second worked. I am about to give it a try.

I've tried 3 times today to d/l. Every time Moddb sends me to game front. When I click download button there after the 5 second countdown I get the 403- Forbidden. :dunno:

JosEPh

thats because GameFront is where the files are kept, and GameFront does down alot:(

thats because GameFront is where the files are kept, and GameFront does down alot:(

Gamefront also doesn't play nice with IE very often (I was surprised it worked yesterday at all, because in the past I always had to use Firefox). It took 90 minutes to download, with sometimes only 10KB/sec speed. That's compared to 30 minutes downloading the entire SVN from sourceforge (another usually slow server).

As far as the mod itself goes, I also noticed the shortcut error (but I never use that anyway), and I also had to unpack the fpk files due to black tiles (and there were a lot of duplicates after doing so---well over 2 dozen).

Signed up as a member for ModDb and am D/L'ing now.

No Game Front hassle.

JosEPh

The non-member and non-Desura downloads from ModDB apparently have some sort of download limit that is not explained. When C2Cv27 came out I had not yet gotten an account there and it took me 3 tries to download it, as I recall - two a few minutes apart both failed without really saying why (no mention of a limit being exceeded, I think it gave some sort of "unavailable" message) and then the 3rd try several hours later worked without difficulty.

Aside from that, I looked at the shortcut and now remember why it wasn't fixed. I can rename it and change what mod to load, but I can't save it with the other information intact because I do not have the game installed in the default location. To save it I would need to change the "Start in" specification, but it is unlikely that it would be correct for anyone else (who else here has it installed under "F:\Programs"?) so changing it would be pointless.

The non-member and non-Desura downloads from ModDB apparently have some sort of download limit that is not explained. When C2Cv27 came out I had not yet gotten an account there and it took me 3 tries to download it, as I recall - two a few minutes apart both failed without really saying why (no mention of a limit being exceeded, I think it gave some sort of "unavailable" message) and then the 3rd try several hours later worked without difficulty.

Aside from that, I looked at the shortcut and now remember why it wasn't fixed. I can rename it and change what mod to load, but I can't save it with the other information intact because I do not have the game installed in the default location. To save it I would need to change the "Start in" specification, but it is unlikely that it would be correct for anyone else (who else here has it installed under "F:\Programs"?) so changing it would be pointless.

Is there anywhere else it could be mirrored?

Is there anywhere else it could be mirrored?

Signing up for ModDb is painless. If it had been I would've not done it.

JosEPh

Some of us use different IDs and emails for different sites, and don't like keeping track of that. I suppose if this were a one-shot, a person could just make up something at random, but that wouldn't help in the email part.

JosEPh

I'm not saying for myself, I'm already a member there (I've uploaded 2 releases there now). I know though that there will be people who won't want to do that, so having additional mirrors can't hurt.

Some of us use different IDs and emails for different sites, and don't like keeping track of that. I suppose if this were a one-shot, a person could just make up something at random, but that wouldn't help in the email part.

:hmm:You don't have to receive Email from them if you don't want it.

JosEPh

:hmm:You don't have to receive Email from them if you don't want it.

You still have to keep a separate ID and password if you want to use it more than once and want to keep your online personas separate as well*. And how do you register if you don't get a confirmation email?

*every single website I register to has a separate ID, as I value my privacy and don't need stalkers; and each one I need to keep track of as I use random names and passwords

You still have to keep a separate ID and password if you want to use it more than once and want to keep your online personas separate as well*. And how do you register if you don't get a confirmation email?

*every single website I register to has a separate ID, as I value my privacy and don't need stalkers; and each one I need to keep track of as I use random names and passwords

I was referring to getting newsletters from the site not the confirmation em.

You seem a bit paranoid over this. Have you had problems before?

If you don't want to use this method that's okay. But it is a choice for others.

JosEPh :)

@G-E,

What gamespeed do you consider "normal" for this modmod? Or is it balanced for all?

JosEPh

I usually play on Marathon speed, although if I were not testing more or less all the time I would probably play on Snail.

I can't say it is particularly well balanced for any of them. I have not actually changed the game speed settings from v24, the CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml should be identical to the one that came with C2Cv24. There has been adjusting done to them since then in C2C.

The only thing I have noticed that is significantly different between Marathon and Snail (aside from things taking a lot longer in general on Snail, of course) is that on Snail the golden ages are disproportionately longer. I think they are something close to 50% longer than they should be, going by the relative change in research rate, and assuming the duration is about right on Marathon. At Snail speed I can typically time the Cave Dwelling wonder so that I can finish it a couple of turns before it goes obsolete (which it still does at Ritualism, a thing that was changed in C2C) and get all the way through Chiefdom (and do that civic change without anarchy) with no difficulty but on Marathon the golden age typically runs out several turns before I can get there even if I carefully time the construction to finish on the turn before it goes obsolete, usually ending just a couple of turns after I start researching the tech. Aside from that there are minor variations in the relative rates for research, producing buildings, producing units, food needed for city growth, and such, but they are not as large as the golden age difference.

I have accidentally played a game at the fastest speed, Blitz. It was quite different and rather fun, flying through multiple techs every turn and building multiple buildings each turn in each city. So I played it until about the end of the classical era. I actually played part of another game (into the ancient era, and possibly into the early classical) at that speed on purpose after that where it was not set to multiple production or multiple research, which was also rather fun. In fact, I recommend trying a Blitz speed game (probably with multiple research and production on) through the end of the prehistoric era, if not longer, at least once just for the amusement value. It makes for a very busy game since build queues in your cities need constant refilling, as do the techs you have selected to research. Not a lot of "nothing got done, just press enter".

The calendar dates are way off at any speed.

By the way, for anyone still interested, I have now taken the Large map game (Marathon speed) mentioned before from turn 250 up to turn 540 (very solidly into the Ancient era for me and at least a couple of the AIs, and the other 3 that I have met are in the very beginning of that era - I think the last of them got Sedentary Lifestyle a few turns back). Turn processing time is only 1-2 seconds longer than it was at turn 250, at about 10-12 seconds for most turns. There is the occasional turn that hits something closer to 20 seconds, but also from time to time a turn that is down around 6-7 seconds.

I've started a game on Normal with the PM map, Huge, 10AI, No Rev, MP, MR, No Vassal, No Inquisition, No CL, No FB, M Rel., No Flex, No Storms, No TD, Adv Dip, Unlimited W, Limited XP, with only Conquest, Domination, and Scientific Victory conditions. (There are some more options but I can't remember what they were right now).

I saw that you took out the Religion Founding Dead End techs, or that v24 hadn't updated that yet. So what I'm getting at is that once you get say Monotheism (Judaism), then you can target Buddhism (Monasteries) next and domino several major religions very easily. (I also have Ngai, Tengrii, and Meso, while only really trying for Tengrii and Judaism). Might want to consider the change of making the Tech that founds the Religion separate from the old founding Tech. The later versions of C2C are much better at spreading the religions around without having to be "forced" to use Limited Religion Option.

Just some early game observations.

JosEPh

Regarding Gamespeeds, the V24 speeds were not changed until V27, when we also increased all of the building costs. If you want to use the V27 gamespeeds (and erainfos too, that is important) it will be much more on track, but the only way to get it to be really good is to change all of the building costs as well (and that took forever, so I don't think you really want to do that).

Top Bottom