Civilization V: Who/What Am I?

Augustus?

Yes, there ya go!

Time to explain my rather obscure clues:

1.) Since the play has been so good, clap your hands; all of you dismiss us with applause.

These were Augustus's (Octavian's) last words. They referred to the fact that he maintained the charade of running a Republic, despite the republican power structure having been mostly destroyed or made ceremonial.

2.) Not the beginning of the end, but the end of the beginning.

Octavian's death was not the end of the Republic era (that started with the civil war between Sulla and Gaius Marius), but the prelude to the Imperial era of Roman history.

3.) The lackey and the priest have been dealt with; now to find an heir.

"The lackey" is Mark Antony, Julius Caesar's former lieutenant; "the priest" is Lepidus, the Pontifex Maximus during Octavian's power struggle with Antony. Octavian himself had no heirs, and had to adopt one (Tiberius).

4.) Emperor in all but name.

Augustus was actually a title, but it didn't mean "Emperor". The closest titles were "Imperator" (military chief) and "Princeps" (first citizen or prince).

5.) The Senators have all been sidelined.

This is self-explanatory. The Senate had ceased to be more than a ceremonial body by the end of Octavian's rule.

I could have made this a lot easier, but any direct references to Rome/Latin/Italy would have given it away too quickly. Sorry I had such a hard time narrowing it down for you guys.

Nice! I'll come up with one relatively soon.

No apology needed, I appreciate the challenge. I'm just kicking myself for trying to read in too deeply. Although I did get the Roman reference...

Nice. I remember bits and pieces about Augustus from school but that was a nice little read. IIRC, "augustus" means "exalted" or something like that, month of my birthday :D

Actually, yes!

1. Jackie Big Tits (The Kooks), 2nd verse

that would all be too easy, there must be some outside the box trickery :lol:

Economics? (buffs the Polder and enables Windmills, which is a Netherlands thing)

1. Jackie Big Tits, 2nd verse
2. Attero Dominatus, chorus

The Kooks is British, though.

1. Jackie Big Tits, 2nd verse
2. Attero Dominatus, chorus
3. Washington

Top Bottom