Poland strategy guide

It depends of independent sectors like culture cs abundance, right pantheon, wonders, number of AIs around, etc. There is games where culture is so scarce that going for both tree can actually hurt you more than anything else.

It's not automatic.

It depends of independent sectors like culture cs abundance, right pantheon, wonders, number of AIs around, etc. There is games where culture is so scarce that going for both tree can actually hurt you more than anything else.

It's not automatic.

The way some people talk it is automatic or else you are obviously doing it wrong.

The variability of types of city-states has been a big point, for me, but I haven't read too much on that. It's one of the those you won't know until deep in the game. I have had some games where I wanted to go culture but there were a total of 2 cultural c-s. Something with maritimes, at least pre-BNW, where there could be only 2 or 3 out of 16. That could really put a damper on those "automatic" strategies.

So, this is a great base strategy for Poland. Question for those far more versed in SP timing than I:

Background: Emperor - Large Continents. I have a fairly isolated start with only one AI partner (who has little gold left after 2 strategic trades - don't know what's up - he doesn't have a lot of coin tiles though). Six city states but no chance to hit up other AIs for cash. So money is a problem, running about -2 to -4 but barb camp cash is keeping me afloat.

SP Timing Issue: I hit 2 or 3 culture ruins so my Classical free SP is what triggered the Legalism pick in the suggested order. This is way before I have my monuments done. 2 Are complete, one is building, and the fourth city is just planted.

So, the question is what is the best SP pick path? Should I go ahead and do legalism and lose out on the two free ampis, or do I do something like take Oligarchy early (and garrison to save some GPT)? Another option? Should I have been smarter about my SP pick earlier since I hit the second culture ruin?

personally I don't feel like free ampis is really that important. They only provide 1 culture on their own, so unless you have extra great works of writing laying about, they don't have much impact. IMO getting landed elite & monarchy faster is well worth it.

IMO getting landed elite & monarchy faster is well worth it.

your opinion is wrong - at least for a lot of games.

Every game plays out different but acting like getting monarchy 10 turns more early what means about 10*5 = 40 happyness and 10*5= 50 gold is a big deal is quite laughable

sorry I'm not really following...are you saying 2 free ampitheatres is a "big deal"? LE and Monarchy are both strong policies on the way to finishing tradition. I feel like I'm missing something here..

Tried this out on Emperor (I still can't make the jump to Immortal). Save for a 40-turn war with two neighbors (turns 70-110, not a military unit from both were seen), I managed my best SV since I started playing (okay, not quite, but all the research was basically done by me). Turn 289, which could have been faster by around 10 turns, had I just gotten a scientist with PT. No Research Agreements were signed. Settled 5 scientists total (3 on Capital, one each for my Observatory cities).

Looks like in this game, if you want to set record victory times, you really have to play Diety. IMHO, RA's aren't worth signing Emperor below, since rarely do your neighbors have the funds, and when they do manage to scrounge up, they're way too far behind for it to matter even if you have PT and Rationalism finished. Also made my guilds on my projected three science cities (cap and observatory sites) to really boost up my science. Needless to say that internal trade routes (Sadly, no boats) allowed me to get scientists while keeping respectable growth. I think I had a maximum of just three international trade routes all game.

I have to say tough, that getting Collective Rule without sacrificing Tradition and Consulates is hellapowerful.

sorry I'm not really following...are you saying 2 free ampitheatres is a "big deal"? LE and Monarchy are both strong policies on the way to finishing tradition. I feel like I'm missing something here..

The 1cpt from amphitheaters helps you to expand to lots of good tiles quicker. That is good value early on. You'll grow faster than through Landed Elite and gain more happiness and/or gold by getting those luxuries connected than from Monarchy.

I took a stab at cleaning up the write-up:

Capital Build Order
  • Scout
  • Scout
  • Scout (steal one worker, no more)
  • Shrine (if your scouts haven't given you a pantheon yet)
  • Monument
  • Worker
  • Scout (if you're afraid of being pillaged by barbarians)
  • Granary
  • @Necessary Gold: Buy a Worker
  • Caravan
  • Library
  • @CollectiveRule: Settler
  • Settler

Some players seem to get that all-important early 20c ruins more often than others. I am not one of them. Therefore, my usual build order in the capital is

Monument - Scout - Granary - Shrine

unless I go Animal Husbandry first, in which case I build a Worker after the Monument.

By the time the Shrine is up, my Warrior and Scout usually have disovered most of the landmass.

On a pangea style map scouts are pretty much allways worth it just because of how powerful the +20 cult ruins and also the pop ones are.

Sure if all the scouts do is run into ai ones and then ai boarder and u dont get the +20 ruin, things suck a bit without fast monument. But even then its not like they are useless and the free settler comes 5t-8t later - not SUCH a big deal.

Best thing with lot early scout is the increased chance of getting ai workers ....
Stealing with 2 unit at ones seems way more effective to me as one.
Therefor i ll usually send 1 scout right into direction of were warri met 1. ai and check for a chance to do a double steal. - or to protect untis with each other.

how do you deal with aggressive civs with this strat? it's similar but better than one i was trying :p emperor is as high as i've been able to go been wanting to get a win on immortal or deity. was trying the last couple days but no luck so far. had a pretty decent start but the zulus attacked me early and even though i managed to fight him off it put me back and like clockwork he would attack me over and over. i never got anything going really was so busy dealing with war. any strategy against that?

basicly there are 4 main ways to handle an agreesive neighbour ai:

1. steal early on some workers, maybe criple more with killing counterattacking units with cap and/or few archer and then Peace or take one city if u want. Needs good timing with worker steal.
Sometzimes u can stay war without this civ all game without it being able to do a real strike after.

2. Do every Trade deal with the warmonger civ - send a caravan to it - be nice - every other civ as Zulu might stay freindly orr look for another civ. Zulu needs another option.

3. Kill it with a CB attack/can be done with a mix as 1.
This needs good execution - the key is to strike when YOU think its time not to let him mass an army and have 20 masssed units at doorstep.

4. Bribe it to war with another civ when it sends units to you.

If someone is wanting to try this strategy, I have attached a save file that is pretty much the perfect start to practice this strategy. It's on the immortal difficulty, but this was only my third immortal game ever and following this strategy I feel like I am playing this on Warlord. I was able to execute every part of his strategy without any real problems.

I don't have a screenshot of the starting location because i'm at work but your settler starts on a river plains hill, with 2 salt, a marble, a bunch of flood pains and some desert tiles (highly recommend Petra for reasons you will see).

Size: Standard
Type: Continents
Difficulty: Immortal
Civ: Poland
Speed: Standard

If people want a screenshot of the starting location let me know and I can take one.

Oh, and this save is from the public beta, so if you haven't opted into the Beta I don't think it will work.

Attachments

• Casimir Beta_Initial.Civ5Save
    579.3 KB · Views: 134
Great guide tommynt ...

Just noticed you planted your first three GS for academies ... and are about to plant a fourth? When do you start burning them for a tech boost?

After playing Poland, I disagree with this strategy. IMHO Liberty + Patronage (and Tradition opener) is better than Liberty + Tradition. :)

Or was. The fall patch hurts Patronage...

Just noticed you planted your first three GS for academies ... and are about to plant a fourth? When do you start burning them for a tech boost?

more then 3 academies are very unlickly.

After Public school are up the additional bakkers will never ever add up to more as a 8000 science bulbs which comes 20+- turns later with labs.

an academy will give like 22 bakkers after modifiers thats 2200 in 100t
even IF game d take 100 more turns when 4th dude pops 2200<<8000
Well the academy also boosts bulbing itself and RAs but still the bakkers are just neglictable in a big science civ.

actually I usually use one scientist for puplic school tech and more often as not a 2nd + Oxford for Radio

the real question should be, if not even more bulbing d be best

@Ribanahs comment
if the target isnt a domination in sp tradition is just sooooo powerful ..
consultates been a bit op IF there are actually unalied CS on map - with warmonger civs on map they often get killed fast - at least the ones not close and the ones close are usually alies anyway making consultes bit less powerful.

Tradition is only good if you complete the tree asap. You don't need to do that with Liberty, so you can start on the next tree sooner.

In GOTM70 we have deity Poland and you got nowhere, while my liberty/patronage empire is thriving.

Top Bottom