Civs that, upon discovery, become Target #1!

IF Shaka is a major pain to deal with and most will re roll ... then choose Shaka as your Civ or play a map with Islands and use England as your civ. Wipe these pests out of the game.

Brew God

1. The Shoshone. I definitely hold an irrational hatred for them in civ. When they're your neighbor, they land-grab without even trying. In the late game they'll send people across the freaking ocean to settle your worthless tundra and then get angry at you for it. Pocatello loves wonders, and really hates it when you build some for yourself. There's just this combination of factors that makes me want to wipe him off the face of the map every game.

2. Greece - I see that a number of other people in this thread hate him too. It seems like he gets everything without even trying... large cities, massive army, happiness up the wazoo. The only thing that makes sense is his collection of city-state allies, and boy is he a real dickbag when it comes to those. I usually don't kill him off because he's pretty powerful, but he is always an enemy.

3. Zulu - I've been denounced on the same turn we met with this guy before. And soon after comes the massive horde of Impi, every time, unless you were lucky enough to be far enough away.

4. Poland - like Greece, they always seem to be superior to all of their neighbors, and their AI is always a threat. So I usually wipe them off the map if I'm in a warmongery mood, but at least I feel guilty about it.

Nah, there are some Civs I don`t like, but I never make a beeline to wipe any of them out when they appear. I guess that`s because I do random personalities so I wait to see if maybe that `bad` Civ turns out to be nice.

Siam, Ethiopia, Indonesia, and the Celts. Because I have no idea how they're fielding 5 missionaries and a GP, all at once, during wartime, with no Faith NW in their lands. and why they choose to send them halfway across the world to target my largest cities, instead of trying to get their closest neighbours to be more friendly via religion.

One and only one...Siam...

Hiawatha, because he puts cities everywhere if you don't contain him. Virtually every game I've played against the Iroquois, they spam cities on every available empty tile.

Yes, I have noticed this in my current game. He took two city locations from me. Of course he settled them on the wrong tile. It is annoying and those two cities will be have to be razed.

The one I hate is Attila though. If he is next to me I simply have to wipe him out. That means his capital too. :mad:

Unless I'm committing to RP a peaceful win, I simply kill whoever is nearest. I'll sometimes take a more circuitous route of conquest to grab certain Wonders ASAP - Stonehenge is a particular favourite.

Enrico generally has to die. Before he buys out Sidon and stops me getting Keshik off 'em.

Am I the only one who's getting frustrated to death when I'm getting placed in between two religion spammers? I HATE that. Not only will the infinite missionary spam ensure I never get my own religion, but I'll get the stupid "your city has been converted" pop-up all the time. So annoying..

As for early agressors: I like how opponents like Shaka, mongolia etc "force your hand", so to speak. They will either have to be dealt with early, or else I'll be their BFF for the early- /mid-game, trying to buy their loyalty while I build my own forces.

Am I the only one who's getting frustrated to death when I'm getting placed in between two religion spammers? I HATE that. Not only will the infinite missionary spam ensure I never get my own religion, but I'll get the stupid "your city has been converted" pop-up all the time. So annoying...

It's fine by me. If they're a spammer, they probably prioritised Faith and had an early Religion so I can just use Faith to build all their buildings. Maybe an army. Maybe my Universities (if that gets spread, bubblewrap cities with units until you've got your purchases).

Maybe even conquer the pair of 'em when I've got their goodies and am ready to fill Piety and go all Justinian on the religious infrastructure they've provided. Sacred sites without any buildings of your own? Awesome XD

…oh, and that conversion popup is nowhere near as annoying as Y U NO OPEN BORDERS ;)

Yea, its usually Brazil. I don't know why expansion civs get taken advantage so much by vanilla civs if expansion civs are the ones that are supposed to shine during the expansion. Vanilla civs already had their time back in vanilla.

Worst nightmare is a close alexander. Dude is a douchebag and will attack. period. Same goes with rome or freakin Zulus or Napoleon.

I also hate dido as she's a deceptive B. And that fat ugly Indonesia dude.

Fact, i hate everyone. Except maybe morocco and Netherland who usually play nice.

I hate the peaceful neighbors. I much prefer the warmongers who take over CS and the other AIs because then I can go warmonger on them and save the cities to liberrate for last and get an awesome liberation bonus or CS ally while wiping out my warmonger penalty. Except Oba, for some reason I have a hard time getting his warmonger penalty off even after liberating a couple CS and our neighbors capital.

Definitely, hands-down, absolutely, 100% Alexander

All the other AIs can be dealt with if you're familiar with them. EX: Shaka is incredibly loyal IF you can get him to like you (give him a free luxury).

Other the other hand, there's almost nothing you can do to please Alexander AND practically any action results in him hating you. Settled a second city? HATE! Allied a CS? HATE! Built a wonder? HATE! Nevermind that you built a wonder he doesn't want or ally a CS before he's even met them ... ugh.

When you combine his impossible AI with his easily spammable hoplites, he's a nightmare. On the plus side, his spamming of hoplites usually means he doesn't build enough ranged units. So, if you know what you're doing, you should be able to push him back unless he absolutely mobs you (but Alexander is next to you so you built a decent military, right?)

The only way to deal with Alexander is to kill him with fire immediately. Or, build a military to deter him, wait until he goes for someone else, then kill him with fire.

Most of these people units are killable with crossbowmen I've noticed. ...

I'm surprised Monty hasn't been mentioned very much. He's like the classic attack-on-sight neighbor. Shaka and Khan you can deal with just by pointing them at someone else. Agree to a token war against a rival and they'll generally leave you alone. Monty, on the other hand, is a warmonger and a backstabber. I'll second Alexander and Ramkhamhaeng, though.

EVERYONE.

*ahem* Sorry. Montezuma's my favorite leader to play as, so warmongers don't bother me. My Jaguars are hungry and I'm always happy to convert their hammers to my culture.

Venice is often my top priority. Nothing worse than seeing one of those Great Merchants coming toward your favorite city-state. He's often pathetically weak and builds all the wonders. I might be a bad person for kicking around an old blind guy, but come on: he's asking for it with that strategy.

Hiawatha is like Herpes of the continent. If you don't exterminate it, it'll spread rapidly and make life very uncomfortable. Pocatello is almost as spam-happy, and his gigantic city borders make things much worse.

Greece and Egypt. You guys already explained what makes Alexander so easy to hate and Egypt's obvious: they annoy me by stealing all the wonders I want.

I think my first experience with in-game racism started with Alexender/Greece. It was my first experience with an aggressive AI and although he didn't directly attack me (until later) he decided upon himself that he'd like to conquer everyone around him and it usually works. Then to add salt to the wound if you want a city state ally with Alexander in the game, you'll empty your pockets dry. Just to find that he's now their ally again.

The second contender would definitely go to Shaka, Attila or Genghis. At least Alexander has a plan when he wants your land, these guys will just DoW and be a general nuisance even if their UU spam can't take your land. Oh what's that? You're the most behind civ in the game now because of all the unsuccessful wars you waged? Now they're brown nosing you, asking you for help whenever they see fit with a big old "Friendly" tag. Only to shove a knife right in your back when they've decided that you're weak, or they've just gotten bored.

Then last, but certainly not least is Sweden. Sweden is subtle about it and that's what makes it so much worse. They'll get nice and friendly with you with their DoF's to benefit from their UA but, the moment that they think you've done the slightest wrong by them or they think you're weak, they will swarm you with the biggest army you have ever seen. Sounds a bit like Russia and England now that I mentioned it, but at least they have the decency not to leach off you from their UA.

I once had sweden swipe a diplo victory 3 turns before my last spaceship part. I now crush them as soon as I see them.

Yea, just choose the civ that wiped you out in the game before and then get wiped out by the next civ in the next game.
Repeat

Top Bottom