plunder option on city capture

owner isnt changed for the city, but population decreases, attacker gets gold, great works etc, and only a small warmonger penalty. plunderer unit is returned to the attacker's territory (appears near the capital).

Plunder is something that has been suggested previously although I think your implementation is really good. Forcing your troops to withdraw afterwards, although strictly speaking that isn't necessarily historical and armies have plundered multiple cities and kept moving on but I'd say this is an appropriate option for balance reasons...
Perhaps plunder would also enforce a 10 turn peace treaty. If you plunder the same Civ again within the medium term then I would say you get a steeper diplomatic penalty.

well historically warriors would return to home sooner or later :) this is simulated by returning one of the units each time a plundering event occurs. you can plunder a defeated city with multiple units though subsequent actions would give less and less gold while your raiding party would diminish. so you can use 1 unit for plundering and then go for the next city.

10 turn peace would make it quite a weak option? you arent forced to sign peace on conquest or razing.. maybe plundering should just make the victim more willing to give tribute and sign a peace treaty.

5 turns of ceasefire when the victim can sue for peace after which war is declared automatically again and the attacking units don't have to return to neutral lands? It would slow it down and give the defender time to build up while the attacker doesn't lose any of their force other than time.

I like the idea of plundering a city but I prefer a different soltution with very similar effects: Occupying cities

There sortof is a way to plunder now.

Capture a city you're at war with, make peace, take the artifacts out then sell (ransom) it back to the Civ you conquered it from.
Not quite the same thing but I guess that is something to consider.

You can take the artifacts out before making peace.

Conquer the city (puppet or begin razing it), strip out the artifacts, and give the city back as one of the components of the peace treaty.

You can take the artifacts out before making peace.

Conquer the city (puppet or begin razing it), strip out the artifacts, and give the city back as one of the components of the peace treaty.

giving cities back should decrease warmonger penalty

Top Bottom