Fall from Heaven... fall from greatness?

I for on do love the FfH scenario but didnt like the early versions of the mod, so much in fact that I never returned to it.

the first time you play a scenario, it's very different from random map. it's very confusing to just jump into this whole world with sometimes hundreds of cities and units all over the place. then you look at the civilopedia and you get a headache. you basically have to learn everything on the fly. you have to evaluate all these cities and see what they are building, etc.
Ah, now I agree with you here. As much as I admire Dale's accomplishment in recreating WW2, jumping right into the thick of things kind of makes me feel lost, too. Which is why I've yet to do much personally with the advanced start feature, for instance. (that and I get impatient with large-map lag. I'll have to try it again with my upgraded RAM, though.)

However, in AoI you do start small, just the one city and a hero, and there is still the whole map to explore, etc. There aren't dozens of units right off the bat, just your hero and a couple extra warriors. So I think some of your concerns are accounted for in the type of scenario it is.

I for one really love the Age of Ice scenario, though I have not had the time to finish it yet. I have played the current FFH2 a lot and I did not expect this scenario to be a full port of that mod or anything close to it.
But in my opinion it still feels as I play in the FFH universe.

I also agree that I normally think most scenarios are too confusing to play since you have not built up the world from the start.

In my opinion a good scenario is played in a relatively small area in a bigger world… If it were possible to link scenarios you could build it up into a bigger world as you go along or something. That would be cool in my book… :)

For my quick 5 cents worth... How big is the FfH mod? 600MB? i think it would have bloated the DVD a little too much, I've never had to clear so much space for an expansion pack in my life!! another 500MB i think may have been pushing it a little.

Personally I think the FFH scenario is great....although on my first run through I was defiantely challenged as I'm not normally a unit focused player, I kept making buildings instead, I think next time I'll go for the war-like hero and mass-produce units.

I can't wait to see how this scenario is changed (as this has been suggested on the FFH mod development thread) and what further scenarios are designed for FFH

I was happy when I saw that the scenario was about the amurites since they are my favourites in the regular FfH :)

I also can't wait until the BTS- upgraded version of FfH, that mod is the reason why I bought BtS.

Ah, now I agree with you here. As much as I admire Dale's accomplishment in recreating WW2, jumping right into the thick of things kind of makes me feel lost, too. Which is why I've yet to do much personally with the advanced start feature, for instance. (that and I get impatient with large-map lag. I'll have to try it again with my upgraded RAM, though.)

However, in AoI you do start small, just the one city and a hero, and there is still the whole map to explore, etc. There aren't dozens of units right off the bat, just your hero and a couple extra warriors. So I think some of your concerns are accounted for in the type of scenario it is.

Hehehe. I'm completely the opposite. I'm over the loooooooooooong buildup with big spots of little to do. :)

I love the fact that in my mods (Age of Discovery & Road to War) you're in the action straight away.

Nothing against the FfH guys (it is a GREAT scenario, I played it a few times during dev), it's just not my style now. :)

I liked the scenario. It's not as good as FFHII, but is very enjoyable. It seems more like a RPG than Civ, and everytime I play it, it makes me want to play more FFH. FFH team did a great jog :goodjob:

I actually rather like the Age of Ice scenario. The story and atmosphere are quite well done. It really does have the feel of a lost tribe fighting a desperate struggle to survive in a dark age. I haven't previously tried any of the Fallen from Heaven mods, but if they're about the next age following the Age of Ice, I'm quite excited to see what happens to this world after the thawing.

The shortest way I could describe this scenario is to mention that although I have never installed a mod before playing Age of Ice, I will most certainly be doing so as soon as the next FFH mod is available.

It was the first BTS content I tried out, and I found it so thoroughly enjoyable that I continued playing games of it until I beat it, forsaking the lure of all the other mods.

It is a pity that it is limited to a static map, but that certainly helped the scenario tell the story. The unit images and animations were what made the mod - the professionalism was impressive, it was obvious that this wasn't the designers first rodeo.

So two thumbs up from me, fantastic scenario, looking forward to trying out more FFH :)

Brian

is it possible to play multiplayer with a mod such as fall from heaven? (when it comes out designed to work with bts)

i always just play with a close freind or two against the AI and id love to try out some mods but im never sure if they will work when we go multi

It seems more like a RPG than Civ,

This is what has me really curious about this game. There's only two games I enjoy playing, Civ and DnD. This scenario appears to combine both. The problem is, first I wish to get familiar with BTS, than play Rhye's and Dale's. So hopefully, someday I'll try this out.

Is it a lot like DnD?

Hmm I haven't played the scenario but the FFH mod for Civ4 was well done but not particularly balanced or easy to grasp.

I think if you have played FfH2 and thoroughly enjoyed, and then load the scenario expecting a fully polished version of FfH2, you will be disappointed. Otherwise, all of the nuanced details and mechanics in the scenario should pleasantly surprise you. It is far less complicated than the actual mod, though there are a few things that could have been explained better (I haven't even though to see if there's a readme on it, before now).

Being fantasy based seems to overshadow the basic fact that it is essentially a combat scenario. It's basically just a build your army and destroy your enemy scenario with some cool twists (pun intended).

I too, really like the Final Frontier mod, though it has some major deficiencies that people will probably realize once the novelty wears off. I hope the community can really take it and turn the basics of it into a real gem of a mod (Maybe a real star trek or star wars mod? [they BOTH rule, btw]).

Aside from Rhye's, which of course is excellent, none of the other mods have really been able to keep me playing very long. Not that a few of them don't seem pretty good, just not AS good.

Final Frontier has TONS of potential more than any other mod included with BTS (Fall From heaven2 Is great dont get me wrong but the one included in BTS is nothing compared to the real thing) Frontier if worked on could be just amazing.

We were asked for a scenario and it was a lot of fun to design. We never intended to create a dumped down or polished version of FfH.
A scenario gave us, compared to the epic mod, the possibility of creating all the art and pedia on our own, detailing every unit in the game, because it is a limited setting, not 21 civs with hundrets of units.
And a scenario gives you the possibility of including a personal Hero to choose from, a nicely detailed map, some events and finally a dragon and a god as opposition, while telling an introduction story to the world of erebus.

I think what was going wrong is, that we failed to state clearly, that Age of Ice is just a "simple" (with as few as possible SDK changes (which seemed a bit difficult when we started to develope) scenario, which tells you a very important part of FfH IIs deep World History, giving you a Prequel to the point where you start playing FfH II, which is already available out there, for free, still in developement.

We didnt state, that FfH II playes completely different and has the most amount of replayabilty i personally have seen in any game and has a lot more features and possibilities to offer (and much more to come).

thats the difficulty, we didnt inform you properly.
And if people expect something we didn`t create, because they didn`t know better, then they will be disappointed.

It is far less complicated than the actual mod, though there are a few things that could have been explained better (I haven't even though to see if there's a readme on it, before now).
I don't know about a readme, but in the BtS concepts section there are several entries on AoI specific things if you check in game.

We're definatly interested in people's opinions--not least because we have several more scenarios planned, albeit ones using the full FfH 2 rules.
We tried to be upfront about what we were making, although that wasn't easy between some misleading previews and NDA.

The goals here were fun, accessiblity, and polish. A direct port of FfH 1 or 2 wasn't feasible , and some depth and certainly replayability was sacrificed.
However, we (designers & testers) all enjoyed it. I think many players will as well, at least once or twice, though not as much as the full FfH 2 mod.

I would be interested in hearing opinions especially of people who never played FfH before. Did this make you more or less interested?

I never played FfH until the BTS scenario.

I liked it, but there are some issues I have with the map. Without giving any spoilers, I was irritated at the resource locations, particularly for strategic resources. The resource location forced me to use my hero as a XP gatherer, so that he could take on city defenders after my archers barraged them down a bit. I eventually took out one of the AI civs with no strategic resources, but then my troops were horribly outgunned by the mythical critters coming down from the other civ.

Also, the sorceress hero has no real spellcasting, at least in the early games i've played -- just the blasting, which is nice. I was expecting to have spells. I did like the Great Person "chilren" that spawned, and thought that was a very cool idea.

This thread makes me want to download the FfH mods for vanilla or Warlords to see what i've been missing. Thanks for putting in the effort.

Top Bottom