Good Water Starts

Evie94

Warlord
Has anyone gotten any good water starts? As in, 2-3 water resources? I've been playing as Carthage trying to get one but i never do, continually restarting (trying for a religious God of the Sea Carthage). Is it just me or has anyone else noticed a lack of generally good water starts? Using Fractal Map btw

Somethings seems to be up with water starts.

If Venice is in the game, I've also noticed a tendency for every other coastal start civs to (like 90% of the time) not start on the coast despite there being spots, like Venice's super coast priority is breaking their coast priority.

Started my first game in BNW as Brazil. Got 3 whales in the 3 starting ocean tiles and 1 pearls adjacent to my border. God of the sea is a pretty awesome pantheon this time around!

I think my highest sea resource start so far is 5-6 sea resources.

But thats with reseed to roll starts.

If you want good water resources, find a map that lets you customize the "sea level" and set it on "low". You get a ton more shallow water (which is the obvious effect), but the side effect is much more seas resources.

Then, pick a civ with a coast start bias if the map you picked has large landmasses (In BNW, all civs with a unique ship have it besides Netherlands; Ottoman, Polynesia, Indonesia and Spain also have it).

Nah, I did it as Portugal. Got surrounded by the mighty whale. And right noe, Morroco hates me and is trying to ban Whale. Well, they got their leg cut cause I embargoed them! :)

If you want good water resources, find a map that lets you customize the "sea level" and set it on "low". You get a ton more shallow water (which is the obvious effect), but the side effect is much more seas resources.

Then, pick a civ with a coast start bias if the map you picked has large landmasses (In BNW, all civs with a unique ship have it besides Netherlands; Ottoman, Polynesia, Indonesia and Spain also have it).

Small continents or large islands with low sealevel make the best maps I think. Add in a couple of Civs for the larger landmass and you're set.

My two games so far have been on Standard Fractal maps and I haven't noticed any differences in starts between them and G&K. Fractal maps often have a lot of water around anyhow and can be quite varied.

I've played as Carthage, didn't get a good water start but the start was still nice. As Carthage it isn't important to have a decent amount of water resources anymore because your free harbors don't give you +1 hammer for them anymore. That was moved to the lighthouse. I also haven't noticed differences in starts between G&K and BNW.

On a side note Venice is coded to get the best water start in the game because they rely so heavily on their start. So if you were playing against Venice that would knock you down to the second best start at least.

Top Bottom