What's the point of the 'Tilted Axis' map?

Globular

Chieftain
It's continuous in the x-direction instead of the y-direction. Also, how does one properly grow a city on snow tiles since they can't be farmed and have no coast (half the map is unplayable)?

Can the snow tiles surrounded by ice be accessed (which is very common if you set the landmass option to islands)?

I don't know I guess it is used to fight over the best land.

Can the snow tiles surrounded by ice be accessed (which is very common if you set the landmass option to islands)?
It might be possible to access some of them with Paratroopers, maybe?

I can't think of a way to settle them, though.

I find Tilted Axis to be fun - haven't played since the patch trying a tilted axis now. Denmark's UU movement bonus/combat bonus in snow is still mostly useless though, other than small useless AI cities, still little to no point in heading into the snow that is mostly crawling with barbarians since no one settles it [By late game in previous games there were barbarians of nearly every tech era wandering around in the north]

It could be fun for Inca though if there are mountains up north. Terrace Farms will still work on hills then and could actually give cities decent food. I built 3 mid size cities in a previous Tilted Axis game prior in the north for resources with the Inca - but beyond the Inca settling the wasteland is mostly unfeasible

you have the axis pointing towards the sun at all times. That's the explanation. One side is arid, the other is icy.

It's just for exploring possibilities of being on other, strange planets.

They should have added stranger stuff too - like mindworms and velciraptor packs for barbs

You can settle a city on ice, but not the frozen ice as in the water. 2 fish around and 2 icehills and off you go!

I think it would be great for a sci-fi novel/movie/TV-show.
But for a Civ game, I really don't see the point. Except maybe:
- You want a huge area which can spawn barbarians trough the entire game
- Play LAN, and wants a huge fighting area
- Wants an extra aspect in the game of wondering what this mysterious wasteland have to offer. For millennias (or how you spell millennium in plural), only rumours about this enormous wasteland reach your Civ. Some explore expeditions maybe reach some few parts of this far away land. But it's first when you launch your first satellite, you will be able to get information about this enormous, mysterious land.

(I know some people are religious about posting in an old post. But I do it anyway, since it's easier since the OP posted a screenshot)

It's prime real estate for gifting the AI useless cities, so you can soften your happiness and warmonger penalties.

Top Bottom