Can anyone recommend a good lets play where I can actually learn?

Antmf

Chieftain
I am starting to understand the game and getting the hang of it but I still have a hard time when I get around mid game as far as what to build what to research etc. I get a little overwhelmed and confused lol. It's almost as though I don't have a game plan and don't know what to build or invest into next. I know what to research as far as what luxury resources are around me but after i improve those I get confused lol. What is the easiest victory i should go for and how do I go about getting it done as far as building and researching. Thanks for the help, and I am sorry for my ignorance when it comes to certain aspects of this game :)

MadDjinn's videos are the typical consensual answer here.

Plus he has games in all sorts of different game scenarios which he will enlighten you with his commentaries.

But I'm pretty sure most of us first learn the game by just experimenting with it and only see let's play for higher levels of difficulties. Experimentation can be quite fun, CiV is pretty much like a toolbox anyways. Also it's probably best if you play in bursts so not to feel overwhelmed/confused especially for new players. You might think up of ideas when you're doing something else. Then again I do feel Fall patch + G&K feel a lot less beginner-friendly with the aggressive and expansive AIs that will often frustrate new players.

Thanks for the reply. I am also very confused about which Patheon to pick when i get one. But I am going to keep trying and one day I hope it will all click. At least in chess I know ahead what i will do but in this game after the first 30 or so turns after getting my rescources etc. I don't know what my next step is :(

keep in mind, maddjinn's videos are mostly on deity difficulty. not all of his strategies are necessary for lower difficulties but you will see how the AI will act on deity. its very eye-opening. and he gives constant commentary so learning why he does stuff is very clear.

keeping to a long term plan while being able to adapt to terrain, war, barbarians, etc is what makes this game fun and challenging. i hope you have a good ride while playing civ 5.

MadDjinn's videos are the typical consensual answer here.

Plus he has games in all sorts of different game scenarios which he will enlighten you with his commentaries.

Pretty much this. He's the civ master if there ever was one - he gives a very thorough explanation for the things he does most of the time. Although - and I don't want to come across as mean or anything - I can't really watch his videos. Too dry and lacks personality for my taste but that's because I only turn to LPs for entertainment.

I did the vast majority of my learning through experimenting with the game itself and by reading civ guides and threads around forums like this. The best way to get better other than playing the game is to familiarize yourself with this site, but it looks like you've already done that.

But to give you the answer you're looking for, reddit just asked the same question. I think you'll find this very helpful:

'Official Civilization V Let's Play Thread' http://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/13ei2b/official_civilization_v_lets_play_thread/

Two things not mentioned within the above link:

1. Not listed there is HJTenchi's Polynesia, which if I'm not mistaken he's still working at right now. He's very interesting and knows what he's doing for the most part but that particular LP is somewhat unique in circumstance and is on Deity

2. 2BCProductions is going to start a Gods and Kings LP...most likely Standard (or King?) sometime soon. He's fills the entertainment factor so don't expect him to teach you too much, unless you favor the aspect of learning alongside him. He has an interactive style and when he says he reads your comments he really reads them and takes into account advice/suggestions as he plays. He's the reason I decided to get Civ 5 originally so I have to give him a positive shout out

For information on the others, read the comments of that thread.

Quill 18 Quill 18 Quill18!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I learned everything from him.

You guys here are great. With determination and you guys I will become a Civ 5 connoisseur :) I hope lol... But, I must say i am really enjoying this game and I know will enjoy it much more when I get more of a grasp on things...

I have to agree quill18 and maddjinn.
For basics go to quill, for advanced stuff go see djinn

Top Bottom