Can someone explain how different tile yields actually work??? Immortal help

fallout3dc

Warlord
I noticed this many times in all of my games. I am beginning to build the settler, and I wanted hills to work, but why does a cattle with three apples, give the same amount of hammers as a 2 hammer hill?

Attachments

• 2015-02-21_00008.jpg
    2015-02-21_00008.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 2015-02-21_00009.jpg
    2015-02-21_00009.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 165
  • 2015-02-21_00010.jpg
    2015-02-21_00010.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 137
For your convenience:
Apples = Food
Hammers = Production
Coins = Gold
Weird-blue-crystal-ball-thingy = Science
White birdie (I think it's a dove?) = Faith
Magenta Banner with a slash down the middle = Culture.

Short answer:
Different terrain gives different yields; hills grant a hammer bonus AND a food reduction; different resources give additional varying bonus yields as well; different features (i.e. forest, jungles) also modify the yield of the terrain they are on as well.

Press F1 to access the in-game help pedia for general information/specific numbers, or refer to this wiki (which is more comprehensive).

In those screenshots, you are building a settler so you cant really tell the difference when you remove the citizen from the 3F farm. If you were building a non settler produce, then you would be able to tell sum or difference of the 3F farm. You can however tell the +1 sum in the citizen change.

Weird-blue-crystal-ball-thingy = Science
Magenta Banner with a slash down the middle = Culture.

Actually a beaker containing a chemical and a white scroll document with a quill pen, respectively.

Actually a beaker containing a chemical and a white scroll document with a quill pen, respectively.

Ah, my screen resolution isn't good enough for me to noticeably discern what they actually are then :lol:. (Or I need new glasses.... probably both.... )

Tile locking is overrated, especially for time it takes, and how often people post examples of making mistakes with it.

I noticed this many times in all of my games. I am beginning to build the settler, and I wanted hills to work, but why does a cattle with three apples, give the same amount of hammers as a 2 hammer hill?

I think the lesson from your screen shots are:
  • Unemployed Citizens are just 1 hammer. That was the choice where you went from 11 to 12 turns for the settler.
  • You missed testing the Wheat and Deer tiles. Each has 3 food + 1 hammer, so both are better than cow or hill you are focused on trying to pick between!

uh I think you have the collective rule or something from liberty? otherwise I don't really understand how you get 10 hammers

like beetle said, unemployed citizens give 1 hammer. but i'm pretty sure they still eat up your food. the excess food that you have while training settlers is converted to hammers following a weird rule, but it's usually not worth it compared to putting citizens on hills

i don't think tile locking is overrated, especially in the early game. the governor doesn't know how to get absolute max production when building settlers even if you set to production focus. the total amount of hammers you get from the tile locking trick is not a lot, maybe 100 hammers over the entire game.

...the total amount of hammers you get from the tile locking trick is not a lot, maybe 100 hammers over the entire game.

That sounds about right to me, so about a quarter to a third of hammer per turn, assuming finish times between 300 and 400 turns. With great players finishing < 250 turns, micro becomes more valuable (while also being part of how they got turn times down). I assume that once you make it habit, you can run through all your cities in 15seconds. But as one is learning, it is probably closer to a minute every time a city grows -- so a couple hours all told to your game play -- for a 100 hammers over the entire game. You don&#8217;t think that is fair to characterize as a poor use of time and effort?

On the other hand, some people enjoy that level of micro management, and it is part of what make the game fun and interesting.

I should look closer when building settlers though. That is just a few times per game.

Top Bottom