No quitters playing civ on steam..

Nice to see you finally decided to have a real forum to promote communication within NQ, the steam group page was never really designed to be a forum.

CS

Hello fellow civers:) No Quitters is growing faster than ever since release of gods and kings. I believe the diplomatic factor ffa's bring to the game has a lot to do with this. Don't get me wrong you can set up any type of game you like in NQ.

Recently I played a full game in NQ with not a single turn of war!!! Not on purpose either it just worked out that way. A few players were going science. Others diplo, and one culture. It was a very interesting game. The new quests for city states and the introduction of spies makes city states a much bigger part of the game now. Which is part of the reason there was no war. We were to busy stealing each others allies. lol

I noticed this thread was started along time ago when NQ had 350 members we are now up to 825 and growing at a rate of 2-5 members per day. Everyone is welcome there is no discrimination between old and new players. Just don't quit and respect other players and you'll fit in fine:)

Want to join? http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NO_QUITTERS

Feel free to check out new forum as well. http://forum.noquitters.org/

Hi guys. The last post made me check out the new NQ forums, and I saw a discussion about rank as a possibility, and that got me posting about why the two communities seem to be split (though a lot of players are in both), and what might be done about that. I didn't know my post had to be approved before going public, so, because it was a long message, I used the back button to retrieve it, and also put it up over at civplayers.

Where ever it might happen, I hope to have a civil and productive discussion on this topic. Hope lots of people read it and post their helpful thoughts.

On that note, is there any chance civ 5 could be given a truly global 'lobby', or is that pie in the sky talk? Seems to me the decision to go with regional steam servers is what was really responsible for fracturing the player base.

Apologies if these issues have already been discussed, without me. Please, no old arguments. :D

It is my wish that both would compromise and unite as one community. The NQ forum will not even allow civplayers.com to be mentioned on their site, which is divisive and a bit totalitarian in my opinion. Let us pack a big bowl of peace and smoke it. Civplayers should consider working with NQ, and vice versa.

What was the reason for starting a new league, out of curiosity? Was quitting an issue with civplayers, or are there other reasons?

Maybe it still is one community. NQ accepts ladder players, and the ladder would happily accept NQ players (registered on the ladder also, of course) reporting their games on the ladder to be ranked.

Maybe a way to bridge the gap is via friendly competition...considering NQ and ladder like two über-clans. Possible events: FFA, teamer, duels, maybe cton...or even an inter site GMR game. Make the competition fun instead of hostile. Spread the civ joy. :p

What was the reason for starting a new league, out of curiosity? Was quitting an issue with civplayers, or are there other reasons?

NQ has always been more for the the type of MP games that are so simular to the SP experience as possible. No rules for diplomacy, it's real FFA. Even though all kinds of games are organized in NQ.

I for once didn't feel the need for a place with points/ranking system, rules preventing free alliances etc. Just wanted fun FFA's with no quitters. Then meeting Don and Sultan that had recently started the NQ-group after Civ5 came out was a blessing.

NB! And there is no war between our groups. We serve different purposes I'd say in the same community, and both groups are enriching the Civ MP-community with alot. Many people are members of both groups and find that meaningfull.

Plz lets stay on topic;) The issue at league was that the only way to play games was CTON,TEAMER,LEAUGE!.try anything else and they call you noob,stupid and the best thing that you should go play lobby(and no one at League moderatet this attitudes)!But inaf sayed(Right the J?)!

NWO : we had our talks with league and they are over! We tried to be freinds and it didnt work out. The fact is that civ-community should be controlled by players ho play game! Make a new topic or check out this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=441801

Its not the only one!

Well I,m fairly new to the mp world. I.ve been involved for a little over a year. That being said I don't know too much about old personal disputes between league and NQ.

My personal experience goes like this: After a few lobby games I was invited to join league. I was extremely happy to find a group of civ players. My happiness quickly turned to sadness:( when i couldn't get a game due to my newness to the group. Game would be announced, I would ask to join, and be asked (my position) in ladder. When I said first game in here they said no sry. So it turned into players would only duel me. When I lost by huge margin I got called (noob). My response was yes I'm new to game maybe you can give me a few tips? Didn't happen. So you can see how I got a bad taste in my mouth. Then I found NQ and the rest is history.

That being said, I know this is not the attitude of most league players!! In fact many of the old devout league players play in NQ now and our people I consider friends:)

Furthermore: I have no interest in bringing up old quarrels that was not my intention when posting on this thread. I also would like to see some sort of compromise between the two. Some healthy competition perhaps? Although our game styles are very different. For example: I,m not very good at duels or early war. My game is based on long term.:)

Anyways I hope we can keep this thread for healthy discussions between adults :lol:

I guess it is what it is. Fact is, the splits in the community in civ 5 I think trace their roots to Firaxis and Steam's regional servers / having no global lobby. This was the single worst thing for the global MP community.

It still is one community, the amount of overlap in players shows that. Different styles of game are promoted, and that is good. I agree, ladder had become too narrowly focused--but that was not in the rules of the ladder, that was just what the players of that time wanted to play. Also there are plenty of other groups, like civ.fr, the German battlefield, and weplayciv to name a few MP groups.

Yes, friendly competition might be helpful, if game types can be agreed on! :lol:

Also, I think Awesome's attempt to create a clearinghouse or one stop shop for civ 5 MP players was a good one. The main point of all this discussion being more good civ games being played, whether they are ranked or not. In the end, that's up to the players. If NQ players want to play full FFA (which I believe is much more fun too, I just can't do it in one sitting) AND make it a ranked game, they can use civplayers to do that.

There seems no point in trying to create closer ties between the two organisations, which in my opinion is more about the personalities involved than anything else. Some like to make inflammatory or divisive or competitive statements...best to let these burn up in their own fire than to respond in kind. Players will form their opinions about which groups suit them, and some may choose to play NQ games which they then report for rank on the ladder. So much the better--the main thing is that people are playing the style they want, with the people they enjoy, and that the level of competition (fun!) is high.

That said, again, I think some friendly competitions, perhaps between the sites, might help spur the level of play...there doesn't seem to be enough players or organization in either site to have clans and clan matches and CCC type events.

My goal with all of this was to help return to the GA of the MP community as I experienced it in civ 3--which some stalwarts are still playing!

Happy civing!

You know, this group is great and Im in it. But unless you don't like playing on Immortal difficulty and having a random Civ, then its not the place for you. They will NOT play a single game with you if you do not want to play on immortal difficulty and pick a random Civ. This takes out most of the fun out of the game and therefore I would rather take my chances on having a fun but dropping public matches rather than a strict NQ match.

You know, this group is great and Im in it. But unless you don't like playing on Immortal difficulty and having a random Civ, then its not the place for you. They will NOT play a single game with you if you do not want to play on immortal difficulty and pick a random Civ. This takes out most of the fun out of the game and therefore I would rather take my chances on having a fun but dropping public matches rather than a strict NQ match.

So you wanna play on different difficulty level than others? OR whats your problem with playing immortal difficulty because everybody else has the same and there is no AI's in game?

I find it hilarious that they play random. Thats like, a joke. Random civs is so unbalanced its not even funny. you get some garbage civ that cant do and your neighbour found his third city in turn 10 cause hes spain that so hard a deal breaker.

Why would you go to the lenght of playing NQ games and then destroy your whole setup by giving players random civs?

As for difficulty settings, the difference between Prince and Deity is actually nothing, so difficulty doesnt matter one bit.

I find it hilarious that they play random. Thats like, a joke. Random civs is so unbalanced its not even funny. you get some garbage civ that cant do and your neighbour found his third city in turn 10 cause hes spain that so hard a deal breaker.

with random civs the bad players can blame their civ for loosing instead of asking themself about their "skill" or gameplay
More reasons for excusses and or quitting.

Thats why the skill is so slim even when lot of these guys play x times per week - without asking yourself how to improve u dont improve.

This seems like a nice group to look for active MP civ gaming but I have a few questions about the group:

1) Where is the group mainly based? As in where the majority of players in the group are from? I'm currently assuming the US. Not that that's bad, but it might disadvantage me a little, mainly a bit of lag and time difference. You do mention a 7+ hour time gap though, so it should be ok. I usually wish to do my MP games in the evening and leave my morning-afternoon times to other matters in case I am busy.

2) I understand that this group hates random quitters in the game, but q2 contains cascading questions:

a)Suppose someone leaves a game without a reason but couldn't get back to explain, say, because of a power outage that lasts about 3 days. When does the group decide that a quitter is a quitter?
b) Is there an appeal process? If so, when does it expire? It seems a bit harsh to name and shame and you can't redeem yourself. I understand it's to keep track of those quitters, but if there is an appeal process to manage that, it seems ok to me.

3) Define collusion in this instance. You state that ad hoc alliances are allowed but not secret backroom alliances before the game starts, right? How do you determine the difference from an outside perspective?

4) Although this won't affect whether I join or not, is there a youtube channel for this group? It might be nice to see records of how everyone goes.

I have some interest in the group but I do not think I am ready to join yet. Once I find more time, I'll consider it. The answers to my questions will also determine my interest too.

Happy MP gaming amidst its current problems. ;)

Top Bottom