[GMR] 1 vs 1 Skirmish Tournament

Rillithain

Chieftain
I've started a post in Steam where I'm managing a tournament. I'll try to keep both the steam thread and this thread up to date.

------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone loves tournaments right? hockey, Soccer, baseball.. they've all been done to death... how about Civilization 5?

Welcome to the "Tourney through time" - (thanks to Atradie for that title)

This is a tournament to really show that you can "stand the test of time", and it will be played correspondence style on the ever great site Giant Multiplayer Robot at http://multiplayerrobot.com/

If you are not familiar with the site, go there and join and get used to how it works. They have a great video explaining the site.

The tournament will comprise of up to 32 players maximum. Each player that joins must select a civilization that they will keep with them through all rounds of of the tournament. If less than 32 join and there are an uneven number of players, then some players will get a bye. They will be selected randomly. Each game will be 1 against 1 on a tiny Skirmish map. Winner advances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Requirements are:

You must have the Base game Civilization 5, plus Gods & Kings and Brave New World installed and functional

You must have the following DLC installed:

Mongolia
Spain & Inca
Polynesia
Denmark
Korea
Ancient Wonders
Babylon

You must have an account on GMR and have enough slots free for the tournament. Each member is allowed up to 2 games played at once (in that count also includes games you are waiting for to start). They have donation levels that allow more games to be played if necessary. If the game is created and you do not have enough slots open, you will have 1 day to free up a slot or you'll be disqualified.

You must sign up and select a Civilization that has not been picked. Only 1 civilization is allowed to be in use. If someone picks America, then nobody else can be America in this tournament.

You must be committed to see this through. Games will take time being setup, and then to play them. Playing on GMR is turn based via hotseat, so it is not as fast as playing LIVE; however, it allows for more games to be played and at a pace that is allowable to actually leave the computer occassionally.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time Settings:

Each game will have a 36 hour timers with a skip limit of 4. This means, that you have to make a move within 36 hours of it being your turn, or you will be skipped. When you are skipped the AI will play your turn. If you are skipped 4 times, then you have lost the game (Normally the game will kick you but I don't know if that will happen with only 2 players). If you are on vacation, then the AI still plays your turn; however, the skip does not count toward your maximum 4 skips. If your opponent has been skipped 4 times (not counting vacation mode) then please send me a message to examine the game.

Game Settings:

Prince Difficulty
G&K, BNW, and the above mentioned DLC will be enabled.
City-States: 4
Map Type: Skirmish
Map Size: Tiny
Game Pace: Quick
Game Era: Depending on how many Rounds we have, but if 32 people then:
First Round: Information Era,
Second Round: Modern Era,
Third Round: Renaissance Era,
Fourth Round: Classical Era,
Final Round: Ancient Era

Dominant Terrain: Random
Water Setting: Random
Resources: Balanced

Victory Type: Domination - this is the only victory type for this tournament!

Advanced Game Options:

Enabled
Allow Policy Saving
Disable Start Bias
No Barbarians

The games will be started/created once we have confirmed all the members that are joining the tournament.

The game winners will be tracked on the website http://challonge.com/

When you are finished the game and there is one winner, I will need a message from both the loser and the winner indicating who the winner was. If there is a disagreement on who won (which there shouldn't be; however) then I'll check the saved game to determine who really won.

This tournament is to have fun!

Note: I am not affilianted with Steam, GMR or anyone related to the makers of the Civilization game. These instructions may get updated from time to time as I realize that I may have missed something; however, I'll post a change log. Once 10 people have picked which Civilization they want, I'll then select my pick.

Available Civilizations:

Arabia
Assyria
Austria
Brazil
Byzantium
Carthage
Celts
Denmark
England
Greece
Huns
Inca
Indonesia
Morocco
Netherlands
Ottoman
Persia
Polynesia
Portugal
Siam
Songhai
Sweden
Venice
Zulus

Players joining & their Civilization

1. kevanwithana - Russia
2. basituldi - Aztecs
3. Rillithain - Japan
4. gertadam - France
5. kavalorireland - Germany
6. PrimEvalCIV - Shoshone
7. Atradie - Ethiopia
8. fishlord - America
9. CB - Babylon
10. Bolddrengen: Maya
11. bennybnyhc - Egypt
12. danielxy - poland
13. malefici - Iroquois
14. NullMaster - India
15. ekat2468 - Korea
16. crazyjoe0813 - Mongolia
17. Yoruus - Rome
18. Tommynt - Spain
19. Krschtschn - China

Welcome PrimEval.

I love those Pathfinders :) Great Cross between Scouts and Warriors with the added bonus of picking your reward from ruins

Well, guess I will try it out :)

I have no experience with CIV 5 multiplayer, let alone GMR, but it sure sounds like fun :)

Guess I will take the Mayans

so: Bolddrengen: Maya

Welcome Bolddrengen!

now that is the 10th person to pick their civ, so I'll pick mine - Japan.

Also bennybnyhc joined via Steam thread, so we are at 12 now.

So far - I'd say if we fill soon, we can start this on Saturday, August 24th - that is our tentative start date.

This looks fun, however having information and modern era starts seems a bit crazy. Those games will not be skill based. IMO. Also, do you guys realize that Poland is going to have a ridiculous advantage in those late era starts because they will get a bunch of free policies right out of the shoot? It will be crazy for sure.

The idea was to make it a quick battle, as many new people to GMR bail after they realize that it may take a few days between turns. If this works well enough, future tournaments will have different variables.. the idea behind this first was to make it fast games

Since it appears their are slots still available I think this looks interesting and I would like to join as Korea

welcome ekat2468. This makes our minimum for the tournament now met (16).

The tournament will start on Saturday.. that gives a few more days for some more to join if they want. Often, when more people join and people see that it actually will be running, we then get people that were on the fence to join

I just reread the rules and I missed the part about starting with Information Age and working backwards in future rounds. Given this I would like to switch my civ to the Mongols.

Top Bottom