Best AI civs

Nonevah

Prince
We have a fairly well defined tier list for player civs. But I've been wondering -- What about AI civilizations? What leaders have you noticed as doing particularly well? For the reference, this is not a popularity/like vs. disliked AI's, just ones that are really good, no matter how nasty they may be to you.

In my games, I've noticed that Rome tends to be pretty successful.

From my personal experience that Pachacuti guy and Monty are 90% of times the main contenders for winning the game. Bear in mind though, that for some reason my random opponents are pretty much the same nearly each game (i play small or standard maps and the rotation of random opponents is kinda bad, dunno why :p ). Also i play on Immortal and deity (with op civs) .

For me its Russia. One of the only civs who likes to take rationalism. But unlike others like Korea and Babylon, they are often so big and powerful militarily that its very hard to stop once they run away. Only civ who has won sub T300 against me.
Greece is difficult to play with but is not usually a contender. Puts too much resources into city states which is annoying but its much easier to prevent him from winning a diplo victory.

Other "usually top on demographics" AIs are Persia, Austria, America, Shoshone, Germany, Arabia, Iroquois, Rome, and Poland.

Zulu, hands down...AI Impis run the game until you get ahead in Tech, as in you have Cannons/Artillery/Great War Bombers.

Germany! Bismarck usually knows what he's doing and snowballs quick - not sure of his secret though.

Greece. Aggressive but unlike other war civs he gets a lot of culture which helps him and does fairly well in other categories too.
Poland also does well from my experience.

Poland: I hate to see him show up.
Korea is annoying.
I agree Rome can be a pain if you are close to him.
I don't fear Alex, I just buy out all his allies.
Polynesia is also annoying, but they cant win.

I've seen America doing its thing with Washington or Casimir also.. I have also seen Persia and gajah Mada do good also..

The best one is Russia imo but there are few civ that strong too:
Polynesia
Greece
France
Carthage
Sweden
Perisa
Rome

From my personal experience that Pachacuti guy and Monty are 90% of times the main contenders for winning the game. Bear in mind though, that for some reason my random opponents are pretty much the same nearly each game (i play small or standard maps and the rotation of random opponents is kinda bad, dunno why :p ). Also i play on Immortal and deity (with op civs) .

I usually end up playing against those two to. I guess it depends on what civ you are. I believe the randomness is not so random and you end up with a civ that both match the map and you. Every time I play as Siam either of Venice and Austria ends up being in the game, and always on the same continent. Just as if the game dont want me to have CS allies.

In most of my England saves the Suliman is in the game, and close to me. In most of my Babylon saves Korea is in the game etc.

Oh and to answer the question. Rome, the Inca and Arabia always seem to do really well in my games. India can run away to. Babylon for some strange reason never really do well but that is the civ I have had the most success with.

It's interesting to hear about Greece. I'd not thought about it but it's true. He builds up to be fairly strong but then never does anything about it.

My vote would be Russia. Consistently, Russia is a contender in my games.

Civs who gets easy access to extra gold (or hammers in Romes case) usually do well since they probably do what every other civ does (build or buy stuff) but manage to do it more quickly and thus get an early advantage. I dont think the AI really know how to use their UA (Dido building inland cities when there is an open cost line next to her capital or Korea or Ethiopia spamming cities just because there is open space even do it contradict their UA or preferred winning strategy) so the AI who have an advantage in gold or hammers they seem to do well since that ability is just there.

The wide ones. Unhappiness what's that?

Germany does quite good usually. They have higher science focus than most civs, which is why they are good. They tend to have a decent (6 city core), then taking over some cities, while keeping up.

China, Persia, Korea and the Inca also do OK, if I dont mess with them.

Songhai tends to fail, getting attacked and wiped out early. Aztecs, Huns and Assyria usually also do badly, especially if they dont take over at least one civ very early.

Cathy:
Science: 8
Spaceship: 9
Build nuke: 8
Use nuke: 8
Deceptive: 7
Expansion: 8

These are the most annoying traits to play against and Russia tops in every category.

Catherine is actually an example of a civ that in base game plays much better on Immortal / Deity than she does for players on Prince / King.

The reason is she has a very low happiness flavor to go with it, and actually needs the extra AI happiness help from Immortal / Deity to expand. On Prince where the AI's "only" get the 90% bonus she outruns happiness and stalls out.

AI Persia though is an example AI that wouldn't run into that issue and so will actually play well for a human who plays at Prince / King. (In addition to Persia jumping to the top of the list in mods that give AI equal happiness to the humans)

In fact in most cases, it's not so much the flavors that produce a great AI for that game but which AI had the most local diversity of happiness resources. (Or in games where the Fountain of Youth is in, whichever AI that was closest it)

There are though quite a few AIs that are known to always be bad. Maya leads to list between the Jungle bias (which the AI has even more trouble with than a human) and exceptionally poor flavor choices.

Korea used to be a great AI if they started peacefully in both Vanilla and G&K (that is NOT near an aggressive AI), but has gotten confused by the BNW features and doesn't play as well.

AI Babylon has never known how to properly play Babylon. The AI always instantly bulbs with Great Scientists which wastes Babylon's UA entirely.

AI's with aggressive flavors that start isolated will fall behind.

AIs with building flavors that start next to an aggressive AI will get wiped out.

I rarely have an issue with Russia in my games for some reason.

Rome is always a runaway, it seems. Augustus is just nice enough to everyone to let him get a little edge, then all the sudden he hates the world and goes Rambo on everyone. Persia tends to do well too, but I don't know why, as sometimes he's the runaway on the other continent, and sometimes he has a tiny core of cities and a million CS allies.

The two biggest threats though are India and Brazil. Gandhi and Pedro both play the diplo game to perfection, both run a big enough army in general not to get crushed (note the in general though, both can get beaten down early), and both will make your life a living hell if they can survive into mid game.

India is more likely to get there, but less likely to be a major issue. Gandhi always plays puppet master, though. In a tight race one game, he was a runaway (as in early a civ lost it's capital, and Atilla's Court was in Indian lands), and he had something like 20 uranium in his boarders on the other side of the world. Gandhi canNOT have a ton of uranium. Ok, I went there, ready to strike fast and take a few cities. On a huge map (I don't think anyone other than the Huns were eliminated), the turn after my DOW, every...single...civ...declared on me! More than once have I looked at Gandhi wrong and gotten chain denounced.

Brazil still plays puppet master, but is less likely to nuke you back to the stone age late. However, he can actually...you know...win. Like India, Brazil can be hard to crack without losing all your friends, but Brazil sits on its tourism, get a golden age, and all of the sudden they're threatening culture. Pedro loves his CS's too, again, making it hard to keep allies without risking a chain denouncement.

It seems like they both tend to do well because no one can really cross them.

Top Bottom