Best AI civs

You know, now that your mention it, I always make sure Gandhi and Pedro are eliminated early or are at least crippled. I always use another civ to do it, too, so that we can stay "friends". So you may be on to something in terms of these AI being among the best opponents. You have to whack them, but you can't just wade in there.

Most ai civs do good to me in the deity and immortal difficulties. By the time im done with my ai friend, ais usually end up with advanced technologies. I had other ais build Manhattan project already while i was getting anti airs.

I'm not the first to say it but I'll go with Rome. It gets a decent passive bonus and seems to balance peaceful and aggressive expansion well.

For me I must say it varies from game to game. Never is there a clear standout every time. People have their ups and downs

I haven't played enough games to properly judge, but Pedro knows what he's doing. In my first 2 king games he was top in every demographics except for soldiers and land. Almost stopped my DomV.

I'm still a noob, please correct me if I'm worng.

Rome always expands and wins AI wars. Fended off Carthage, Mongols and England being in the middle of them and has nearly defeated both Lizzie and Genghis during the Renaissance era in my current Immortal game.

America always does insanely well and so does Greece.

I have had Russia in many Immortal games and she seems to be the worst every time. In the current game she has 2 cities in the Renaissance era and is just spamming missionaries around but isn't focusing much on any real goal. A few games ago she got her ass kicked before I could even find here due to Napoleans conquest of Asia (Earth Map) and yeah that's usually the story she always loses and sucks at fighting.

Gotta love Alex....the primary reason why I don't bulb into information era too early in the science game

The hardest civ to beat on deity are Korea and Rome. Korea can maintain a few cities and yet get science advance ahead of everyone. Rome likes to spam cities but with their special ability their mass cities is not a problem for science victory. Shaka is good for domination you can guarantee he will take out each player one by one that are on the same continent, unless at least 2 strong militaristic civ sitting right next to him. The only civ that can go one on one militaristically versus Shaka is possibly Japan, from what I have seen in most of my games.

From my experience I would say the Civs who are most consistently strong are Greece, Russia, Germany, and Brazil. If shuffle decides to use an island map where Pedro is isolated he can already fully influence a Civ tourism wise before I even meet him.

We have a fairly well defined tier list for player civs.
Has this been discussed before? If so, could you give me link to the thread? :)

What about AI civilizations? What leaders have you noticed as doing particularly well?

So far, I've only noticed Nebuchadnezzar and Alexander who plays very well.
Nebuchadnezzar has even made me change my victory goal from cultural to
scientific.

Funnily enough the Iroquois always have highest hammers and food and pop when I see them out of the ai. Those 14 cities can't be good for tech though.

Hiwatha and Washington. I can see why Hiwatha does well (being, you know, a land-grabbing plague on everybody else), but Washington baffles me, since he always plays peacefully and amicably, and somehow manages to do better than other AIs at pretty much everything.

Washington have his highest scores in defense, recon, spaceship, use nukes and aircraft carriers. He have his lowest scores in growth, wonder competitiveness, he is not hostile, does not denounce much and does not focus much on religion. So he pretty much stay away from other civs as much as possible meaning he can build his empire with out to much distractions. And he is neither much for protecting CS nor does he attack them.

Other then he is not growth focused he plays pretty much like most tech players and try to get his science up and play it nice with his neighbors.

You can have a look at the charts for how the AI is supposed to behave. Pretty interesting imo.

http://civdata.com/

I find that the two parameters that makes AI competitive are Expansion and Science. The bigger the empire, the more hammers, gold and science it will produce. Science determines if the AI will get science buildings early and whether if they will take rationalism. Space ship rating is important too but most AIs will build spaceships anyway as long as they have the science for it. So a high space ship rating but low science rating doesn't necessarily mean they are more likely to win science victory than one that has high science rating but low space ship rating.
Why does science make AI most competitive? Because a science victory is hardest to stop. For both diplo and culture, you can stop it by stealing city states or by conquest. But for science, a single island can allow the AI the launch the space ship.

In my experience:

Germany: Bismark was pretty cool. He kept to his cities and is not a warmonger, although I have not played him much past the atomic era.

America: I played them once, map was continents. He was a constant warmonger but only to those on his continent, to me, he was nice, even though I played policeman.

Greeks: Pain the ass. Sucks up to CS and will backstab all other civs.

Shaka: Constant, pain in the ass.

Denmark/Huns: Dumb, will continue to fight petty wars even when "eras" behind in the late game.

I find Greece the trickiest to play against.

His bonuses with the City States mean he can be a real bugger to haul back in if you let him get too close to a Diplo Victory.

My first game on immortal he got within two votes of a Diplo Victory despite being DOWed by the other four civs on the continent simultaneously at least three times.

Germany! Bismarck usually knows what he's doing and snowballs quick - not sure of his secret though.

No he doesn't, he just backstabs everything in sight and gets killed off by a coalition of 1 million countries and their cats and their cat's squeaky toys.

Top Bottom