What do you like to name your cities?

I also like to use map features.

I once had a capital west of a mountain range with a small gap directly east of the city. So the morning sun would paint the city golden - Sun Gate.

Once with a crappy map, lots of tundra and a few crabs - Crab Harbour.

Spice Islands
Lonely Mountain
Holy Mountain
Ice Wine
Sherwood
Stormy Coast
Fishermen's Cove
Pearl Harbour
Ocean View
Greate Waste
Palm Beach
Côte d'Azur
Yellow River
Monkey Island

or I use an atlas to look for real city or place names of the civ I play with similar terrain features as the city i want to name

Coral Sea
Ayers Rock
Tasmania

usually naming my cities leads to more immersion and fun play. Also makes it easier to remember specifics if deciding trade routes or so ..

Onett
Twoson
Threed
Fourside
Fivetown
Sixville
Sevendale
Eightown
Ninecity
Tenston
Twelville
Thirteentown
Fourteencity
Fifteendale
Sixteenia
Seventeenton
Eighteenstaft
Nineteenia
Twentyville
Twentyonett
And so on and so on...

but then BNW happened and I'm pretty much stuck at Fourside.

When I capture a city I re-name it to the next in my civ's city list. It looks too out of place otherwise.

I've got hundreds of city names written down for several tribes, including over 400 Roman, 300 Greek and 200 Byzantine, and many, many others. Unfortunately haven't been able to use my little town name library since Civ3 due to the quite stingy anti expansion policies taken by the developers in the following next two games(editions), especially Civ5.

Onett
Twoson
Threed
Fourside
Fivetown
Sixville
Sevendale
Eightown
Ninecity
Tenston
Twelville
Thirteentown
Fourteencity
Fifteendale
Sixteenia
Seventeenton
Eighteenstaft
Nineteenia
Twentyville
Twentyonett
And so on and so on...

but then BNW happened and I'm pretty much stuck at Fourside.

Yeah...but what about Moonside, Winters, Summers, Saturn Valley, and Scarabia? :p

Yeah...but what about Moonside, Winters, Summers, Saturn Valley, and Scarabia? :p

They are not numbers!

...Or are they?

And I forgot Elevenland.

And Culture cost from founding cities actually became less than it was in G&K. It's the science I'm thinking of. Oh well, at least Hiawatha's not as much of a dumb threat anymore.

I usually name them however I please when expanding, as long as the name fits.
During wartime I usually rename them to IRL conquered cities.

If I play as Rome when I take a city I rename it to the motive behind taking the city. "Ultio Ultionis" is Latin for revenge, and I generally just keep doing that until I have an empire filled with Latin cusswords.

Top Bottom