Easter Egg Collecting! (spoilers be here)

THE LANUN

Orang Laut are a group of Malay people living in the Riau Islands of Indonesia. More broadly the term is used to encompass the "numerous tribes and status groups inhabiting the islands and estuaries in the Riau-Lingga Archipelagos, the Pulau Tujuh Islands, the Batam Archipelago, and the coasts and offshore islands of eastern Sumatra and southern Malay Peninsula."[1]

The Malay term Orang Laut literally means sea people. They wander in their boats upon the sea.[2] Other Malay terms for the Orang Laut were Lanun, Celates or Orang Selat (straits people).

Historically, the Orang Laut were pirates, but they also played important roles in the Sultanate of Malacca as well as Johor. (from wikipedia)

I dunno if this has been already said, but i've found 2 words of finnish in FfH.
Basium city called "Lammas mead". Lammas is Finnish and means sheep
The hero "Luonnotar." Luonnotar if Finnish and means something like "Mother Nature" or Goddess of the Nature. Though i wonder why it doesn't have anything to do with nature. (the hero i mean)

I dunno if this has been already said, but i've found 2 words of finnish in FfH.
Basium city called "Lammas mead". Lammas is Finnish and means sheep
The hero "Luonnotar." Luonnotar if Finnish and means something like "Mother Nature" or Goddess of the Nature. Though i wonder why it doesn't have anything to do with nature. (the hero i mean)

Luonnotar was the creator goddess of the Finns. She created the world through an odd series of events involving an egg (a theme that is copied in many other ancient mythologies) and largely dropped out of the pantheon after creation.

That is essentially the story of the One (without the omelet). So when I came to creating a group that believed in a single creator that started creation and then retreated (aka: Deism) I named them after her.

In all fairness my D&D game players weren't as clear on foreign languages or the finer points of ancient mythologies as you guys. So when I used that name it was an inside joke to myself.

What's the thing with the omelet?...

A sad joke about the nature of eggs in creation myths. Our ancestors, from multiple disconnected cultures around the world, tried to answer one of the greatest questions of all time. Where did we come from? Its amazing how many of them found their answer in something that came from a chickens butt.

I asked because I used something like that in the history of a half-serious/half-joke town-proposal for Heroes V, without having previously read or heard any sort of joke about Primordial Eggs and Omelets. Seems like funny ideas float around :)

Alot of spell effects are from the MMORPG Dark age of Camelot (woot camelot!)

Vampire feeding uses the reaver DoT spell
Crush uses the damage add buff for earth wizards with the big hand
Spirtual hammer uses the thanes AE hammer spell
Entropy type magic uses eldritch spells
Imp summoning uses the giant flashy eldritch void bolts
Might be some cleric spells or other debuff effects for spells I'm not as familar with

Am I right or am I right?

How did you get the spell effects dublicated in civ4 so well also?

Dark Age of Camelot uses the nif format (the same as Civ4). I didn't have to convert anything.

since this resurfaced, I don't have the game anymore to double check, but i'd swear the barrow image is the buried treasure image from the pirates! games, slightly tweaked.

Yggdrasil is in scandinavian mythology representing the world tree (if i remember correctly)

Fyrdwell sounds very scandinavian too

Well, that's purely because anything Scandinavian can not have a single vowel in the first half of the world.

I guess this is a somewhat appropriate thread for this, Happy Easter everyone!

Well, since this thred was resurected I'll mention another something I found. One of Cassiel's quotes is from King Lear IV.i.36

Top Bottom