Vocum Sineratio: Dona Eis Relions

The extra Science from Sankore, the extra cash from Spiral Minaret and the extra hammers from Apostolic Palace do not continue after Scientific Method. You do continue to get culture from your Monastery, so you might very well get extra culture from wonders that add culture to religious buildings (Sistine Chapel, etc). I'll have to check, but I think the "extra" culture does stay (just like culture for obsolete Wonders)

I do find it interesting that the culture from buildings doubles after 1000 years and the "bonus" culture is doubled as well... even if the "bonus" itself is far less than 1000 years old. For example, if I build a Temple in 2000 BC and I build the Sistine Chapel in 100 AD, I'll immediately have 14 culture: 2 x 2 :culture: + 2 x 5 bonus :culture:.

You can also continue to build missionaries after SM, even without OR.

Yes, they are determined independently.

If you have "new random seed on reload" checked in options and you put 3-4 missionaries in a city with multiple existing religions, you'll be able to see it happen. Also, if you do not have "new random seed" checked, you'll be able to see something interesting as well. I'll explain with an example.

I start a game with "new random seed on reload" not checked. During the game, I put 3 missionaries in a city that has 3 existing religions. When I try to spread the religion, I get...
first: fail
second: fail
third: success!

If I reload the game from just before the missionary attempts, I'll see the exact same fail/fail/success sequence that I saw the first time. If I reload a dozen times, I'll continue to see the same fail/fail/success sequence.

Now, if I reload one more time and I initiate a combat somewhere on the map before trying to spread the religion, I'll see completely different and new results for my missionaries. Maybe the first one will succeed, maybe the second will. Maybe none of them will. Who knows? Combats generate lots of random numbers, so it "uses up" the numbers that would have gone to the missionaries. Please note that this does not "defeat" the no-new-random-seed process entirely because repeating the exact sequence of activities will result in the exact same outcome. You're just working around the process by "using up" the random numbers from the pregenerated list if you have a particular need for a "good" number from the list.

Also, I'm not advocating that people do this. If you want to do something like this, you're better off just checking "new random seed on reload" instead of using this "workaround". I'm just putting this here to show that Civ IV does, indeed, calculate each of these missionary events independently.

ANYTHING that generates a random number will have this effect. Some examples: espionage attempts, goody hut pops, random events checks, and new turns (which report Livy generates, and checks for AI civs to bother you). The cure for this would be a separate random number seed for each type of random check.

Personally, I think the way missionary failures work is lame. Just because your missionary fails, he gets consumed??? What happened to him, did they lynch him? They could have done a lot more with missionaries, IMO. They could have their own experience system, depending on number of successes, and what buildings were in the city where they were built. Each mission attempt would then cost gold, like the original spies, and only rarely would your missionaries be martyred, whether they failed or succeeded (often martyrs are MORE effective, not less).

Top Bottom