Infantry and Nukes: A guide to low-industry nuclear war

Chrysheight

Chieftain
I have played many multiplayer games with teammates who build a strong economy or research base instead of focusing on industry. And, since all of the hills and rivers and covered by farms and cottages instead of mines, the only late-game unit they can build efficiently are infantry.
Then, when both teams are at war, they are the weak links in the chain. So, here is a discussion for low-industry war. Share tactics and such.

Wrong forum section for this, should be in the main strategy and tips forums rather than strategy articles :p

To answer the question,
I assume your talking about the draft when it comes to producing infantry efficiently, but it isn't the only way to produce using farms, and commerce can build things too.
Whipping gets a revival in the lategame in the form of biology farms and corps, while rushbuy is also strong with the gold multipliers and matured towns. Both also get a massive boost from the Kremlin.
Either can be used to form the backbone of your production.

If mass cottages (and farms for some growth) is the strategy a player wants to use, then you have to go all the way with it and have an end-game scenario planned out. I've done this before with Elizabeth or Victoria going up to Redcoats, or with any Civ stopping at either Rifles / Cannon, Infantry / Artillery, etc. anything you think you can win the game with by itself. Oh and anything you need for support like aircraft, nukes etc if you're at that tech point you can build those too, with enough money. So basically, the cottages and their massive commerce/turn generation is everything we have.

You will want to do Universal Suffrage if at all possible because you'll get 1 hammer per town and you can rush-buy units every turn, as long as its been building for one turn so that you don't get a penalty for rush-buying with no hammer investment. Universal Suffrage in my opinion is amazing with massive cottages because you're basically dumping all gold, and pouring it into finishing units in cities every two turns, rush build in the cities that have invested a turn at least. You need to shut down research in order to build up this way though quickly. Or go to a low research rate but, really we should totally commit at that point in the game to either research fast or build a massive army.

If you're doing heavy economy/research with no army, at least you can switch to gold production, cut the slider to 0% science, 100% gold and upgrade one garrison unit in each city against commando units/ mounted etc., plus keep Universal Suffrage active late game and keep some money to instant buy units, like an Infantry or three to hold a city. Actually come to think of it players could have Universal Suffrage, Nationhood, and Slavery all on late game if you really, really want emergency defenders. My style was usually Universal Suffrage / Free Speech / Emancipation / Theocracy though and rush buy foot soldiers in mass with some siege support.

I've done this with Tank + Bomber stacks before also, basically if you have enough cottages you can get whatever units in a short time-frame. The Kremlin wonder helps a lot also.
You can get an army so fast and you don't lose anything except stopping research, you don't have to whip or stack draft anger or anything, its so convenient in my opinion. Ok this was a really long reply, hopefully though that explains a strategy I've used before.

Rush buying an army is certainly one way. Another one if switching to State property and Caste and turning farms and towns into workshops and watermills.

Drafting is still the most efficient way. Everything else needs Kremlin or Factories. Biology Kremlin whips are also very strong though. I always found US incredibly weak, as 1 hammer need 3 commerce if rush bought.

Top Bottom