Civilization 5 Rants Thread

New patch notes sounds like a bunch of people scrambling to rebalance a bus teetering on the edge of a cliff. Lol.

^^
CivWorld is heading in the same direction.
This game has also, although different, game mechanics which are unbalanced + unfun and will become boring + annoying very fast.

^^
CivWorld is heading in the same direction.
This game has also, although different, game mechanics which are unbalanced + unfun and will become boring + annoying very fast.

At least they are consistent. Lol.

The harmonization has begun.

After more then 3 weeks playing CivWorld I am starting to long for the civ5 AI.

Human players are far worse.

New patch notes sounds like a bunch of people scrambling to rebalance a bus teetering on the edge of a cliff. Lol.

You are certainly consistent!:goodjob: What I think is that each new patch & DLC is the result of a plot by the civfanatics forum to provide fodder for more & more threads.:p:crazyeye::mischief::rolleyes: (and, of course, more rants on this thread).

After more then 3 weeks playing CivWorld I am starting to long for the civ5 AI.

Human players are far worse.

CivWorld is really tedious. But at least this one is still in beta... nobody has had to fork out money to do their beta testing for them (contrast with CiV).

Interesting article here. The writer talks about the Civilization series in general.

One commenter also makes an interesting point:

The problem with Civ5 is the same with virtually all computer games nowadays:

It’s a company PRODUCT based on market studies and finantial formulas, developed under established theories and a fixed schedule, the decisions made by an executive boss; as opposed to a work of ART made with passion and energy by an independent, innovative talent.

It’s fast food vs a good home made dinner.
It’s Spider-Man III vs Indiana Jones.
It’s globalized, standardized and politically correct vs the truth.

The times, they’re a-changin’.

http://satelliteshow.wordpress.com/2010/10/23/civilization-in-decline/

Interesting article here. The writer talks about the Civilization series in general.

One commenter also makes an interesting point:

The problem with Civ5 is the same with virtually all computer games nowadays:

It’s a company PRODUCT based on market studies and finantial formulas, developed under established theories and a fixed schedule, the decisions made by an executive boss; as opposed to a work of ART made with passion and energy by an independent, innovative talent.

It’s fast food vs a good home made dinner.
It’s Spider-Man III vs Indiana Jones.
It’s globalized, standardized and politically correct vs the truth.

The times, they’re a-changin’.

http://satelliteshow.wordpress.com/2010/10/23/civilization-in-decline/

:D

Well, with the risk of putting to much emphasis on the term 'art' in the context above, I doubt very much that the typical Civ players would like to move around units that were designed by Picasso, map features designed by Dali and game mechanics developed by Da Vinci, although that could be one hell of a game experience! :hammer2:

The article is mainly about lacking art + animations of wonders and buildings, something I don't miss from civ1 and civ2.
The old palace improvements, high council in civ2 and civ4 wonder animations, after seeing them a few times,
most players will turn them off. It hinders game play.
The wonder movies of civ2 are an exception. There's something special about them.
The project movies in SMAC have it also, but less.

Only developers/creators can decide when a product is finished, not the those greedy bastards at the management top.
Civ5 is a sinking ship, CivWorld is going down even faster.

Remember the science waste at the start of civ5 when finishing a tech?
That disease has returned in CivWorld.
Most CivWorld games become a graveyard in no time. When a game has progressed 15-20%, it becomes slow and boring really fast.
And to make any progression you have to work very hard.
And to get enough fame points you have to be in a very active team.

Well, this is week 4 of CivWorld beta and the average number of on-line players went down to 10 of 200 during a game.
In its current state, CivWorld has no future and the best thing to do is to take it off-line and evaluate the game mechanics.
(There's simply too much wrong).

So, obviously been playing this game too much and fricking deity ai annoyed me so much just now. Around turn 70, i sink 500 into military CS, they have some iron i could use cause im about to declare on askia thats right next to me. The influence bar is about half full on ally with this CS and germany has been showing they want to ally it, NO IDEA WHY GERMANY, they not at war with anyone. So its semi risky but yeah i do it.

Im few turns into war with askia and germany immediatley sinks 250 into this CS, FFS. I lose a swordsman, the battle is put on hold for a bit while i rush to, luckily!, finish a nearby ivory. I sell it, get the CS back from GER.

Few turns later they sink 500 INTO THIS CS, ????????????????????????????

This at around turn 77, ive never seen that before ever. Albeit, this is around my 5th game on the .275 patch coming from .165 just recently.

VERY LUCKILY i got one of askias cities the turn before which had iron so it was JUST ok, about 1 iron from strategic penalty. I know they sunk 500 bucks into the CS cause it took me 750 to find it out.

My god hey, just had to vent, really annoyed the hell out of me!! :mad:

Welcome to Deity my friend! :king: I feel your pain though, experienced something similar on an Immortal Game where I was getting all my iron from my city-state ally, Monaco. Augustus Caesar bought off Monaco to ally status with him, then declared war on me in the same turn - making my 4 swordsmen basically useless.

As annoying the AI is when they do that... the human can sell Songhi their luxuries for 300 each luxury before declaring war... then the human gets the luxuries back and can sell again to Germany getting 600 gold (300x2) per luxury:crazyeye: I sell my horses like this unless I can have a UU like Keshisks.

This cheapo works best on deity where the AIs have so much gold, that ends up becoming my gold...:mischief:

Sometimes I think that the AI is programmed specifically for maximum frustration. For example, I have on many occasions had an AI civ declare war on me and break our Research Agreement, often just a few turns prior to maturity (and thereby derailing my rush strategy). While this is not unexpected it has happened where that particular AI is across the map and at war with one or more other civs at the same time. Moreover, following the DoW that civ never sent a single troop toward me and became lost as a significant trading partner for an extended period of time due to me not being able to broker a reasonable peace treaty. This has happened to me even though I had a large surplus of cash (over 800 gold), which is supposed to deter DoWs.

Also, the AI cheats in ways previously unknown to me, and I'm not talking about the increased resources and unlimited happiness they have on Deity. In one game I was finishing off a particular AI civ when a lancer rushed out of the fog and killed one of my elite promoted troops. OK, it happens. But since I had saved previously on that turn I reloaded just to see where that lancer came from. I sent out a horse scout unit and there was no enemy lancer in sight. So the lancer must have come from the closest enemy city. I reloaded again and waited out a turn then scouted. Nope - no lancer in the city so it hadn't been obtained from production on that turn. My only conclusion is that the lancer was rush bought by the AI civ in that city and sent to destroy my troop ALL ON THE SAME TURN, which is against the rules for a player. I realize deity is supposed to be tough, but it is a bit ridiculous that the AI doesn't abide by the same basic game rules. I guess they have to give these types of cheats and bizarre behavior to the AI in order for them to be even slightly competitive.

The article is mainly about lacking art + animations of wonders and buildings, something I don't miss from civ1 and civ2.
The old palace improvements, high council in civ2 and civ4 wonder animations, after seeing them a few times,
most players will turn them off. It hinders game play.
The wonder movies of civ2 are an exception. There's something special about them.
The project movies in SMAC have it also, but less.

Only developers/creators can decide when a product is finished, not the those greedy bastards at the management top.
Civ5 is a sinking ship, CivWorld is going down even faster.

Remember the science waste at the start of civ5 when finishing a tech?
That disease has returned in CivWorld.
Most CivWorld games become a graveyard in no time. When a game has progressed 15-20%, it becomes slow and boring really fast.
And to make any progression you have to work very hard.
And to get enough fame points you have to be in a very active team.

Well, this is week 4 of CivWorld beta and the average number of on-line players went down to 10 of 200 during a game.
In its current state, CivWorld has no future and the best thing to do is to take it off-line and evaluate the game mechanics.
(There's simply too much wrong).

Wow! :eek:

I thought CivWorld would go over better than that with the legendary Sid Meir behind the wheel there.

Especially after the triumphant success of Civilization 5! :lol:

:D

Well, with the risk of putting to much emphasis on the term 'art' in the context above, I doubt very much that the typical Civ players would like to move around units that were designed by Picasso, map features designed by Dali and game mechanics developed by Da Vinci, although that could be one hell of a game experience! :hammer2:

I think what he really meant was that computer games should be original creations, lovingly created by people that give a damn. Plus if any of the game designers even had half the brains that Da Vinci did...*shudder*

It might be interesting to see a game like that now that you mention it. :p

They say the game industry is bigger than the movie industry ... maybe it is now suffering from the same thing as regards to sequels ... just produce "something" like the original and it will make same money for us.

They say the game industry is bigger than the movie industry ... maybe it is now suffering from the same thing as regards to sequels ... just produce "something" like the original and it will make same money for us.

Yup. And by the time the public realizes what crap you've put out you already have their money.

Top Bottom