Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Are you using FoW to refer to tiles which are blacked-out (completely unknown)?

Yes. That is exactly what the Fog of War is in video games like this... the blackness covering tiles you have yet to explore.

Good question. Pollution must happen within the tiles a city can work, so i guess the answer is no. Cities can however pollute tiles used by a different city of the same civilization when cities are placed (too) close to each other.

Good question. Pollution must happen within the tiles a city can work, so i guess the answer is no. City can however pollute tiles used by a different city of the same civilization when cities are placed (too) close to each other.

:) thanks, I was actally more interested in whether anybody might know than the answer itself. It would be a bit of a bummer if your nicely irrigated, roaded and railed wheat field had a big orange splodge plonked on it by a neighbour's smoke stack :D

by trading things for gpt of other tribes and hiring taxmen. primarily the first. plunder gold sometimes also is an option.
t_x

Can one of your cities pollute a tile in the territory of a neighbour?

I believe it can. In a very recent (in fact, still continuing) game I had reduced the Americans to a pop 2 city long long ago but when I started getting pollution, I noticed a polluted tile in their territory too. That's why I can say that pollution due to ones cities can also spread to the ai.

I believe it can. In a very recent (in fact, still continuing) game I had reduced the Americans to a pop 2 city long long ago but when I started getting pollution, I noticed a polluted tile in their territory too. That's why I can say that pollution due to ones cities can also spread to the ai.

Ha ha so you could maybe pollute a neighbour to death. Well, maybe not quite. I can't recall any tile of mine being polluted by a neighbour but it may have happened without me realising.

Not necessarily a newbie question, but it is close enough I think. I know that to play C3C in windowed mode, you go into conquests.ini and add KeepRes=1. However, when I try to do this and save it, it gives me an "Access Denied" message and refuses to keep my changes.

I am an administrator on my computer, running Windows 8.1 with Conquests version 1.22 (disk, not Steam thank God). I don't understand why it wouldn't allow me to edit this. I would have posted this in the thread on playing Conquests in Windows mode, but the last post there was in 2011, and it feels too close to necrothreading for my tastes. access denied.jpg

Lord Plebian, may I ask a question about your question? What does playing in Windowed mode mean? Also, what is wrong in your view with playing using Steam (which is what I do)?

Ha ha so you could maybe pollute a neighbour to death. Well, maybe not quite. I can't recall any tile of mine being polluted by a neighbour but it may have happened without me realising.

It's actually a very rare occurrence. And the fact that you are much ahead of your neighbors in terms of tech etc would mean the neighbor has lesser territory than you so the chances of his tiles being polluted are almost negligible.

Not necessarily a newbie question, but it is close enough I think. I know that to play C3C in windowed mode, you go into conquests.ini and add KeepRes=1. However, when I try to do this and save it, it gives me an "Access Denied" message and refuses to keep my changes.

I am an administrator on my computer, running Windows 8.1 with Conquests version 1.22 (disk, not Steam thank God). I don't understand why it wouldn't allow me to edit this. I would have posted this in the thread on playing Conquests in Windows mode, but the last post there was in 2011, and it feels too close to necrothreading for my tastes.View attachment 396891
This shouldn't generally be happening. You could try this :
Copy all the current contents of the file and then delete it. Create a new file and rename it to conquests.ini. Put all those entries there along with the keepres line. Save the files and you're good to go.

Instead of that you might grant yourself the right to write in the existing file. Right now it appear you have the right to read only.

Lord Plebian, may I ask a question about your question? What does playing in Windowed mode mean? Also, what is wrong in your view with playing using Steam (which is what I do)?

Windowed mode just means the game won't take up the entire screen to make it easier to switch between it and something else, such as optimal city numbers for different sized maps because you can't remember them to save your life.

As for the Steam version, there's nothing inherently wrong with it, but some people do tend to have issues with it in terms of either getting it to work or loading up mods, etc.

Atishay and Justanick, thank you for your help. I was able to edit it. It's still not showing up in windowed mode for some reason. :confused: I'll have to check the original thread to see if I'm missing something later today.

Windowed mode just means the game won't take up the entire screen to make it easier to switch between it and something else, such as optimal city numbers for different sized maps because you can't remember them to save your life.

As for the Steam version, there's nothing inherently wrong with it, but some people do tend to have issues with it in terms of either getting it to work or loading up mods, etc.

Atishay and Justanick, thank you for your help. I was able to edit it. It's still not showing up in windowed mode for some reason. :confused: I'll have to check the original thread to see if I'm missing something later today.

Ah, OK, thanks.

You could try using the alt +tab combo to switch between open windows. That's fast too and you will be able to enjoy the game in the whole window. This however is more of a personal choice. [emoji28]

I was able to edit it. It's still not showing up in windowed mode for some reason. :confused: I'll have to check the original thread to see if I'm missing something later today.

You need to add Video Mode=XXXX in addition to the KeepRes=1. Where XXXX can be 1024, 1152, 1280, 1600, or 1792 and corresponds to the following resolutions:
1024x768
1152x864
1280x1024
1600x1200
1792x1344
Note this isn't a "true" windowed mode though.

Just added the video mode and it works like a charm! Thank you all for your help.

Is there any other requirement to produce an SGL, other than being the first to discover the tech? I never seem to pop one after the ancient age, even if the game is well in-hand and I'm first to every tech thereafter. I typically do milk runs, so my sample size is quite small as a result.

Top Bottom