Returning to V to finish achievements before VI

pholtz

King
I hadn't played in a while, but the announcement of VI got me looking at V and thinking it would be too bad if I didn't finish the achievements. So I'm revisiting V and hope to get all the achievements done. So far since VI was announced I've added the following:

Model of a Modern Major-General
Land Baron
Paul Bunyan
Turtle Power
Tablet Tech Pioneer
Knowledge is Power
It Belongs in a Museum
British Invasion
Rock the Kasbah
Radio Free Europe
Tear Down this Wall!
That's XCOM baby!

So I've made pretty good progress, but still have 29 to go. Looking back at the achievements my first were done Sept, 2010, probably shortly after the game was released. Didn't realize it was so long ago.

Right now I've started a game as the Romans to get the Zeupiter achievement. After that I'll probably play some "Into the Renaissance" games for all those achievements.

If anyone else is doing this, the best place to start is probably

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=482690

I would be happy to discuss my efforts along with anyone else doing (or have already done it) the same thing. All my achievements are accomplished playing real games, although I sometimes may save the game then do something for an achievement before reloading the game to continue playing it to the end.

Right now, the "hardest" achievement I see may be "God is Great". I'm trying to build temples in all my cities on all my plays, but still have many to go.

Hmm, while my game is going good (only on Emperor level), none of the other civs put anything into Honor. If no one ever does, I'll try building it myself, gifting the city to someone then taking it back by conquest. Not sure if it will work but worth a try.

Gifting a city where you constructed the Statue of Zeus, then retaking it did work. I got Zeupiter!

I was just thinking about this. The problem I have with this game is there are too many achievements. I am only at 43%. The number of achievements is just ridiculous. Only 43% with over 500 hours played. And I have been focusing on getting the appropriate achievements with each leader I have played (except Elizabeth which they want you to kill over 300 ships, not going to happen).

I'm about to give up on the whole thing. Achievements are a horrible waste of time. Yes they can be fun sometimes in that it causes you to alter the strategy you might normally use, or spice up a game so it doesn't all go the same way as usual. But too many achievements are a nuisance.

Gifting a city where you constructed the Statue of Zeus, then retaking it did work. I got Zeupiter!

Just got this one yesterday. Had to march all the way across Asia (Earth map) to get to Germany over near where Beijing would be. That's actually an easy one. Some are ridiculously hard to get. Not to mention I can't beat the game at the higher difficulty levels, and I suffer undue amounts of stress when playing in the higher difficulty levels.

Not to mention I just don't chop that many forests in my games... Annoying.

My favorites are the ones related with the Fall of Rome and Into the Renaissance scenarios. Scramble for Africa is also a good scenario. The deity achievements for these are pretty hard to get but they are probably the most satisfying.

I was just thinking about this. The problem I have with this game is there are too many achievements. I am only at 43%. .... (except Elizabeth which they want you to kill over 300 ships, not going to happen).

I'm about to give up on the whole thing. Achievements are a horrible waste of time. Yes they can be fun sometimes in that it causes you to alter the strategy you might normally use, or spice up a game so it doesn't all go the same way as usual. But too many achievements are a nuisance.

Not to mention I just don't chop that many forests in my games... Annoying.

Yea, at 43% you might want to not worry about the V achievements and start in on VI when it comes out :)

It's fun to occasionally play a weird setup to get an achievement. For the English one to destroy all those ships, the best set up is, I think, a large map, King level or so, raging barbarians, tiny islands. Do an advanced start (medieval age?). Oh, just set up one AI opponent and maybe one CS. Mainly you park your Ships near the barb camps and kill them as they spawn. I did it vs. America and got the British invasion achievement. Got about 1/2 the ships I needed, one more time and I should get the achievement.

It also makes you thing... should I be chopping more forest??? Might improve your game :D

Just got the Renaissance Man and Reconquista Who? achievements. It's interesting going back and playing a scenario that doesn't use Brave New World rules. Forgot how easy it was to get money from AI's in G&K. Also, my ability was get 2 extra gold from every trade route, and it took me a while to figure out what they were talking about, I couldn't find out how to make trade routes :).

Just got "Never take our Freedom", barely. Austria-Hungry was rolling over Russia and was racking up the points, and I couldn't do anything about her. Just managed to take enough cities in Africa, and send Caravels to the New World to win by around 100 points.

I had never played Indonesia before. It's an interesting civilization, the promotions on the Kris Swordsmen can be positive or negative. "Enemy Blade" is very negative, 20 damage each turn you end in enemy territory. To get the "Enemy Blade No More" achievement you need to conquer an enemy capital with a Kris Swordsmen with that promotion. There were several problems.

- I would start on an island and not see the enemy until after Astronomy was discovered, long past the time of the Swordsman.

- I would train six Kris Swordsmen, but none of them would have the Enemy Blade promotion.

- There would be little or no iron.

I finally started a Warlord level game with a classical start. This way I could quickly see if I had iron. Speed was Marathon so I would spend the longest time possible in the Swordsman era. Doing this I finally got the achievement. Now to play a "real" game and just get the win with Indonesia.

I can't seem to get Junta for Red October. My spies have done city-state coups dozens of times and at least a few times have supplanted the current ally, but I never get the achievement.

Zeupiter is horribly worded! "As Rome, conquer a city with the Statue of Zeus" heavily implies that you need to capture a city using the bonus you get from the Statue. It should read "As Rome, conquer a city that has the Statue of Zeus".

Is there a significance to the number 357 in Ruler of the Seas? It just seems like a really random number to pick otherwise.

I can't seem to get Junta for Red October. My spies have done city-state coups dozens of times and at least a few times have supplanted the current ally, but I never get the achievement.

Zeupiter is horribly worded! "As Rome, conquer a city with the Statue of Zeus" heavily implies that you need to capture a city using the bonus you get from the Statue. It should read "As Rome, conquer a city that has the Statue of Zeus".

Is there a significance to the number 357 in Ruler of the Seas? It just seems like a really random number to pick otherwise.

For Junta, make sure you aren't using any mods. When your spy is in a City state, there should be a button that says coup, you have to click this button and be successful for the acheivement.

As far as 357, some place said it was related to the number of ships (destroyed?) during the Spanish Armada battles, but I looked that up and it seemed to be incorrect, so don't really know.

Finally got "The Java Script". I think I need to start playing on small or even tiny maps to make this whole process go faster. A standard map game just takes me too long.

Unfortunately I still need several "Into the Renaissance" achievements, and they are on large maps, 200 turns. They take a while, so going to do Russia Renaissance next.

It was close, but managed to get "The Yokes on the Mongols", by less than 50 points. Made several mistakes, didn't finish off the Mongols enough, and they attacked me while I was busy in the west, had to fight a two front war for a while. Then I decided to attack Austria for my final cities, and she had a huge army. As the game ended, I did manage to take 2 cities from her, but was still slogging though her carpet of doom.

Also, got "Pillage, then Burn". I left a note in the main achievement thread that you could get that achievement outside of the 1066 scenario (as someone else just discovered, I managed to confirm it).

I've never played as Portugal, time to get those two achievements.

Almost lost my game as Portugal. I was trying for a peaceful cultural victory and the Shoshone almost won. Almost left my war with them to take them down too late.

Anyway, got the following done

Gimme Your Lunch Money!
What's yours is mine
In Hoc Signo Vinces

269 done, 18 to go. Going to try and get a couple more Into the Renaissance achievements done.

Richard the Lionheart and Mehmet the Conqueror done! Whew. Richard was easy on a non-historical map, Mehmet took a few tries to figure out how to do it. Not worrying about a win in either game, just taking the required city.

Ruler of the Seas done! I found best a standard or large map, with about half the normal number of CS's and just one or two AI opponents to leave plenty of room for barbarians that are raging. Also a Tiny Islands map.

It seems that each barb camp will spawn only 3 or 4 units. If they aren't killed, no more units. So if you have a camp on a large island with 3 units around it, you need to kill off the units to get a chance of another ship spawning. Leave a barb camp on a very small 1 or 2 hex island alone, unless you want the experience or culture you get for killing them.

I still needed "Nobody Expects...". Apparently all my earlier games as Spain were played before G&K. Easy one to get so I decided to play my favorite format, completely random start with a random map, on Epic speed, Emperor level. No re-rolling if the start doesn't look good.

I ended up on the 'poor' continent with Greece and France, while Poland and the Mongols rampaged though a much easier continent. By the time I had taken out France and Greece, Poland was a powerhouse, having conquered the capitals of Maya, Japan and Germany. (Poland's money was over 20,000 and a couple his allied CS's would required me to somehow get over 900 more points before I could take control :cry: ) The Mongols were gobbling up all the CS's as normal.

I finally declared on Poland and had some difficulty getting the first city. Even though I got control of the seas, I was behind in science with WWI type units battling their WWII equivalents. I finally got the WWII fighter and the game started going my way. I concentrated on fighters and started decimating his air attacks.

But then I was nuked a couple of times and I couldn't even see Uranium yet. Even so, I had gong though all his cities on one side of his continent, including his Capital. I bribed the Mongols to declare war, then sued for peace. Because of this I got a good peace deal and was able to rebuild until I could go after the Mongols.

I won the game with a diplomatic victory, by liberating all the CS's the Mongols had ruthlessly taken.

Fun game, for one piddling little achievement :).

I had forgotten how long Epic games can take when they don't end until 1980 or so. I took a break and looked at the Civil War Scenario for the first time and got "Standing Like a Stone Wall"

Next up will be a special set up for "Picket's Recharge", then a tough one, "Pax Romana Aeternum".

13 more achievements, don't have time to play any more epic speed games.

I got "Picket's Recharge". Not that easy to get, mainly because the promotion required is so rare. It's similar to the Indonesia achievement "Enemy Blade No More".

Best to use a low difficulty setting so you can avoid promoting your units to corps. You'll need to create lot's of units unless you get very lucky early on. I finally got the promotion, and while I was able to get the achievement, it was too late for me to capture Washington, so I actually lost the game (even though way ahead on points).

I'm just trying to get to 50%. :)

I still have 12 more civ's which I have yet to play. I really have only played maybe 20 or 25 games of this game. I've mainly been concentrating on getting the civ achievements and the victory type achievements like yesterday I got the diplomatic victory with autocracy ideology.

I don't have all the DLC, another reason I can't get all the achievements (even if I could play at a deity level). I didn't care for Civ 5 when it came out, and really didn't grow to love the game until after the second expansion. It seems too late now to be buying DLC like Korea and all that.

I also try to get the civ specific achievements, but some I don't have the patience for like the 357 naval units mentioned above. Yesterday I won as the Ottomans for the first time, but couldn't be bothered to hunt down and capture 12 barbarian naval units.

edit: I'm looking at the achievement stats right now on Steam. I realize I never got around to downloading a mod for this game. I assumed mods would make it impossible to get achievements, which is another drawback to the achievement system. It's pretty sad nearly 20% of all players have done this, but I have not.

And nearly 20% of people have rest in gold pieces, but I do not. I don't even know how to get that achievement. Is it for a scenario?

This is what you need to do for that achievement: "Gain 1000 gold from expended Great People with the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus across any number of playthroughs."
You need the Wonders of the Ancient World DLC for it. It is easy to accomplish, you just need to build the wonder and expend 10 great people, which is fairly doable in a single game.

I had a feeling that was for a scenario since I was pretty sure that wonder can't do that in the regular game (assuming that wonder even exists, I never checked). I don't have that scenario pack, so I won't worry about that one.

They aren't very consistent when labeling which achievements are for scenarios and which are for the regular game, but I can usually figure them out by the description.

It is not specific for a scenario, Mausoleum of Halicarnassus can be build in a regular game, but you need that DLC active.

The Mausoleum is unlocked at Masonry, and will give +2 gold for each quarry, and 100 gold for each great person expended. This works every time you consume a great person, whether you plant an academy or get the instant beakers from a great scientist, when you use a great prophet to create a religion, or use it to create a holy site, or even use it to spread the religion, etc.

My first attempt at "Pax Romana Aeternum" didn't go so good. Lost by about 100 points. I think I did better than others that got the achievement, but the Franks had a very good game. Protecting Carthage so it wasn't taken, taking back 3 cities for the west wasn't good enough.

Going to try again, perhaps try to take/keep a few Persian cities since they give points.

I don't think you can even manage to do it without taking Persian cities. Sometimes you have to completely eliminate them in order to win.

Finally! I managed to do "Pax Romana Aeternum"! I did go after the Persian cities. In fact I took/destroyed Amida, Nisibus, Singara, the capital Ctesiphon and Thospia. I was advancing on Anium when the game ended.

But the main reason for my win was that in the west, there was no Barbarian runaway. The Celtics and the Franks both had about the same number of points. My first game, the Franks ran away with the points and scored much higher. I think I scored enough points this time to win if the same thing happened again, but my first game would also have been a win if the Franks and Celts were more even in their conquests.

It is VERY important to get a good start. I only lost 5 cities, one of which I reconquered very quickly.

I had also uninstalled BNW to play the game as originally designed, not sure if that helped or not. I have finally done all the pre BNW scenario achievements.

I think I'm going to relax in my next game and play a normal one before I try to finish off the Civil War achievements. I still need Pyramid Scheme, so I'm going to play an easy Prince level game for that. I've had enough of Deity for a bit :D.

I got over 50% of my achievements, that's good enough for me. Picked up 4 playing a game as Poland. Poland is a pretty good civ, shame I never used them until the other day. And also picked up 2 more playing Civil War Scenario as Union (I already played as Confederates last year). That's always a hard scenario for me. Managed to get Richmond with 3 turns to go (obviously lost time sidetracking all the way down to Lynchburg for the achievement). Sitting at 144 right now.

Top Bottom