[RD] Clinton vs. Trump - USA Presidential race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leftists aren't defending institutions of international capitalism at all, assuming you look past the ''left'' parties that manage to get hold on even a sliver of power.

Even if you look at Labour, PvdA, Syriza and SPD?

Is the Donald tickling Hillary's boob? :dubious:
Nah... its too high... but who knows what Pres Clinton is doing with his other hand under the camera line? :groucho:

In fact, it kinda looks like Pres Clinton is saying "Yeah, Donald, see what I'm doin'? Ya like that buddy? That get ya goin'? The Donald sees the shenanigans and is saying "Now, now, you two! You cut that out new wife, or ... you're fired!"

Yes, another weird thing is that evangelicals™ favour a candidate who's been divorced a few times over a woman who stood by (and with) her husband even when he was caught cheating on her in public

Both are in favour of LGBT rights anyway, so that counts against? either.

I think the people open to racist dog-whistles and/or suspicious of a changing society were willing to buy into the Reagan vision. I think they have since realized that it's BS, and were never all that invested ideologically in conservatism. Reagan gained their trust by making things better, but while we've carried his vision forward for the 28 years since his presidency ended, things have steadily gotten worse for many. I think the story of this election, from Bernie to Trump to Hillary's progressive domestic agenda laid out in her acceptance speech, is a (hopefully) full and final renunciation of the neoliberal Reagan legacy.

Evangelicals are no different. I heard an NPR report a while back that said that "evangelical" is more of a cultural label than a statement of beliefs. Many people self-identify as evangelical who don't really go to church or abide strict Christian values. There are evangelical leaders who do disavow Trump (though I doubt that means voting Hillary) because he is the antithesis of evangelical values. And, of course, there is the Puritanical contingent, who like Trump simply because they see wealth as an indicator that one is favored by God.

Nah... its too high... but who knows what Pres Clinton is doing with his other hand under the camera line? :groucho:

In fact, it kinda looks like Pres Clinton is saying "Yeah, Donald, see what I'm doin'? Ya like that buddy? That get ya goin'? The Donald sees the shenanigans and is saying "Now, now, you two! You cut that out new wife, or ... you're fired!"

And not a word about how much animosity exists between Hilla and Trump, right Sommers? :mischief: Can't be a show for the plebs, those two really are so different.

Takhisis said:
Can I label you as a corrupt influencer of the political system and dismiss all your posts including the answer to this question?

Yes, I'm secretly controlling the entire political system a la chancellor Palpatine.

west india man said:
It's more correct to blame their plight on increasing exploitation from those who hold economic and political power

Yes, that's indeed what I was saying.

Bootstoots said:
These are likely to be the dividing lines for the foreseeable future, although hopefully the left can at least apply enough pressure to keep inequality from growing much worse.

Ha, that's a heady goal. I'll be happy if we can stop inequality growth from accelerating.

And not a word about how much animosity exists between Hilla and Trump, right Sommers? :mischief: Can't be a show for the plebs, those two really are so different.
Oh, I get it... you posted that pic wanting it to be discussed seriously, because you thought that it was some "gotcha" revalation that you dug up, that would shock everyone... I always forget that you live outside the US...

So, the thing is, Kyriakos, that pic, and more importantly, the fact that the Clintons went to Trump's wedding (along with many other celebrities) is really, really old news in the US. That's why its not getting any serious analysis.

Being outside the US i also do not operate on 'gotcha' moments, being inside the US by your logic you would have missed that :/

Point is that those people weren't, and aren't antagonistic to each other. To put it more plainly: they are the same crap.

Being outside the US i also do not operate on 'gotcha' moments, being inside the US by your logic you would have missed that :/

Point is that those people weren't, and aren't antagonistic to each other. To put it more plainly: they are the same crap.
Your position is well stated... More to the point... If you had the choice between 1. lighting all your friends along with your entire family on fire, 2. voting for Hillary, or 3. voting for Trump, and those were the only choices (abstaining is automatically picking choice 1), then which would you pick?

Those actually are very different people. I mean really, really different. About as different as people can be while still both being very powerful Americans. They used to get along well, with the help of some well-placed political donations, but they drifted apart over time. It was never meant to be.

A large fraction of all elections feature no major differences between the two leading candidates. This is not one of those elections.

I think the people open to racist dog-whistles and/or suspicious of a changing society were willing to buy into the Reagan vision. I think they have since realized that it's BS, and were never all that invested ideologically in conservatism. Reagan gained their trust by making things better, but while we've carried his vision forward for the 28 years since his presidency ended, things have steadily gotten worse for many. I think the story of this election, from Bernie to Trump to Hillary's progressive domestic agenda laid out in her acceptance speech, is a (hopefully) full and final renunciation of the neoliberal Reagan legacy.

Evangelicals are no different. I heard an NPR report a while back that said that "evangelical" is more of a cultural label than a statement of beliefs. Many people self-identify as evangelical who don't really go to church or abide strict Christian values. There are evangelical leaders who do disavow Trump (though I doubt that means voting Hillary) because he is the antithesis of evangelical values. And, of course, there is the Puritanical contingent, who like Trump simply because they see wealth as an indicator that one is favored by God.
This latter group sound like Terry Pratchett's Yen Buddhists.

Just because we finally rid the world's leading power of ‘let's make the rich richer 'cos that's somehow (magically?) sure to make the poor richer at some point’, a.k.a. Reaganomics, doesn't mean we're replacing it with something good… a Puritanical system based on ‘those who are rich deserve it’ can be as bad. :(
Yes, I'm secretly controlling the entire political system a la chancellor Palpatine.
I need a job.

:lol:

Perhaps in some countries political rivals are expected to throw blows or at least challenge each other to duels whenever and wherever they may run into each other, but the US isn't like that.

Let us now pause briefly and pretend that Aaron Burr never existed. ;)

Let us now pause briefly and pretend that Aaron Burr never existed. ;)

Note that I didn't say that it was never like that, though even in his own time Burr was an exception more than a rule.

Trump apparently took the gloves off of Mark Cuban. Cuban just outright called Trump a "jack off."

Trump apparently took the gloves off of Mark Cuban. Cuban just outright called Trump a "jack off."

I guess that's the one good thing Trump has brought to this election. He's made other politicians feel okay about speaking their minds frankly and unfiltered which is making this election a lot more entertaining than I thought it would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom