For those of us who are greedy...

What would you like to see after Brave New World?

• More DLC civs and scenarios.

Votes: 130 29.2%
  • Another expansion.

Votes: 204 45.8%
  • Neither. Onward to Civ 6.

Votes: 95 21.3%
  • I have no opinion.

Votes: 16 3.6%

• Total voters
Perhaps this is because I usually play peacefully but I would like to be able to conquer the entire world on a large or huge map instead of just focusing on capitals. Maybe I'm not great at managing war but with the current happiness mechanics it seems impossible to truly own the globe without raging unhappiness

Perhaps this is because I usually play peacefully but I would like to be able to conquer the entire world on a large or huge map instead of just focusing on capitals. Maybe I'm not great at managing war but with the current happiness mechanics it seems impossible to truly own the globe without raging unhappiness

Conquering the world while maintaining happiness is basically a matter of ruthlessly razing the AIs junk cities that are fine on Chieftain level but not Prince.
(And adopt multiple religious beliefs that help happiness; playing tall peaceful you don't need this.)

On to Civ VI. Time to let all the mistakes of Civ V die.

If I could have exactly what I wanted, I'd say abandon V and make another expansion for IV, but of course that would never happen.

They could add new features, i.e Colonization, Random events, Health, Hell, they could even make Happiness into Stability and keep Happiness the way it was in Civ 4.

Yeah, stability is a very much needed addition
I could totally agree with somehow converting the current happiness into stability, and add Civ IV style happiness and health

On to Civ VI. Time to let all the mistakes of Civ V die.

If I could have exactly what I wanted, I'd say abandon V and make another expansion for IV, but of course that would never happen.
'

IV was nowhere near as good as V is. I didn't like most every design choice and found it much less enjoyable to play than any other version of the game. My one hope would be that civ4 is only ever used as a guide of what not to do.

Just my opinion though.

'

IV was nowhere near as good as V is. I didn't like most every design choice and found it much less enjoyable to play than any other version of the game. My one hope would be that civ4 is only ever used as a guide of what not to do.

Just my opinion though.

AFAIK more than 90% of the people thinks it's the other way around (ie: IV and V swapped)
GK and BNW seriously improved the Civ V experience, I very much agree with that
Still, it's V and not IV where some of the basic design choices were huge mistakes

Personally, I'm torn. I've yet to feel compelled to just play a game of Civ V not aiming for victory, as opposed to in Civ IV where I could just play and not even think about the end of the game or how I would win. At the same time, Civ V is all pretty and I do like the new religion system, the city-state system and the selection of Civs. I would like additional content for Civ V, but at this point it's too early to tell if it's really necessary. A round 50 for civs would be great, but I wouldn't want to be disappointed by Civ VI if it never exceeded Civ V's selection.

On to Civ 6. Civ 5 will be complete with BNW, IMO. but AI fix would be good.

AFAIK more than 90% of the people thinks it's the other way around (ie: IV and V swapped)
Still, it's V and not IV where some of the basic design choices were huge mistakes

I loved civ4....Yet it is now so old that playing with the tons tedious design mistake I used to overlook is just plain boring compared to the far smoother and modern game that civ5 has become.
And AFAIK more than 87.269533287 +/- 0.05 % of the people share my opinion :)

I think people just willfully overlook IV's shortcomings, to be honest (not that it isn't also a good game but there are more flaws than many admit).

I would like to see all of the above, but I'm sure the developer wants to make the publisher money, so whatever the lowest common denominator wants is what we will see.

If I saw a piece of trash laying in the alley and it said Civ5 on it, I would bring it inside, polish it up and send Firaxis 29.95.

I also think it's likely there are people working on Civ6 already so the clock would already be ticking on the development cycle. I'm sure the 2K shareholders want something from this franchise they can sell during every financial calendar year.
I'm just speculating here like everyone else, but I believe there will be a new game or new expansion for the current game between Summer-Holiday 2014.

I loved civ4....Yet it is now so old that playing with the tons tedious design mistake I used to overlook is just plain boring compared to the far smoother and modern game that civ5 has become.
And AFAIK more than 87.269533287 +/- 0.05 % of the people share my opinion :)

I think people just willfully overlook IV's shortcomings, to be honest (not that it isn't also a good game but there are more flaws than many admit).

I agree that some (maybe many) aspects of Civ V has/will become great with GK and BNW.
Having said that, we were talking about basic flaws in the game designs. Civ IV had no or very few great flaws, while V had tons. The outrage in the fall of 2010 wasn't for nothing.
While GK and BNW lifted Civ V to be a great game, some of those basic flaws are still there
Civ IV is definitely a better game in that regard, even if it's starting to get somewhat old

I would like to see the ability to designate a percent of my gpt to more spies, science or whatever like in 4. I would also like a truly dynamic espionage, meaning I could destroy buildings in other cities, set back production, poison water/food supplies. The system we have now is utterly useless. The only thing you can do is steal tech and learn about other civs, yawn. I want to be able to affect what they do.

Better aviation. Right now you basically bomb cities or wait for bombers to come after you, again boring. Give us the ability to do air supremacy, no fly zones, that type of thing. Anyone ever notice when using a stealth bomber, there is no "stealth" to it. As soon as it gets close to a city, the city fires away. The whole point of stealth is to be invisible until AFTER you attack. Right now aviation is a one trick pony in my book.

More buildings, there needs to be a wider variety of stuff to build. Sure there is plenty to keep most busy now, but I often times run out of buildings to construct. Make the extra resources we aren't using contribute to something. Make things like cotton, wine and others good for something other than trading away or minor happiness upgrades.

Tech - There needs to be a revamp of the late game tech. Before you get to the modern age, you have basically everything you need to win. Make the last 2 eras count, make the units/buildings a significant upgrade over the previous era.

Give the AI a reason to really use a navy, not just spam units.

Cities -- Let's be realistic, why give cities the ability to place workers 3 tiles out from the city, just to have the AI spam cities that NEVER make use of this? Force the AI to either spread cities farther apart, or penalize them for spamming cities so close together (maybe a disease ridden water supply affecting multiple cities). It's just stupid to add a mechanic to use 3 tiles away from the city, then never use it.

City states -- Give the CS the ability to join your empire if your culture and happiness and a few other factors are high enough. Similar to how cities would "flip" in 4. They wouldn't just do it, they would prompt you to agree or not to let them join. If you don't want them to join, maybe they could become a player owned territory state. You could control some functions of the city, but not everything.

Workers -- Let's give them more to do. Each era should give some kind of improvement to the base improvements they start with. There is no reason a farm should give the same basic bonuses on turn 1 as it does on turn 1,000. Haven't we learned how to better farm since the 1600's? Let's use that kind of logic.

Why is railroad the best route upgrade we can build? Why can't we have highways/interstates or something beyond mid game tech? Maybe make roads > railroads > highways > automated highways > maglev trains? Each would give an additional movement bonus.

Diplomacy -- Give us a way to bully other civs without actually warring. Something like 'I see your troops on my border, move them or I nuke you" type thing. The diplomacy is lacking right now. I'd also like the ability to ignore a AI from useless spamming with open border requests. That could come back to "stop bugging me about it or we're going to war". Let me use my military might in diplomatic negotiations. With a revamp of spying like I talked about earlier, you could also give a demand to stop spying and if they don't the next spy caught would mean automatic war.

Give opposing cities that have your faith as a dominant faith a chance to flip and join your empire. Maybe use faith + culture. If you are the dominant faith and your cultural influence in that city is higher than the AI's, the city has a chance to flip and join you.

I've got many more ideas but they deal more with specific techs and stuff like that.

I agree that some (maybe many) aspects of Civ V has/will become great with GK and BNW.
Having said that, we were talking about basic flaws in the game designs. Civ IV had no or very few great flaws, while V had tons. The outrage in the fall of 2010 wasn't for nothing.
While GK and BNW lifted Civ V to be a great game, some of those basic flaws are still there
Civ IV is definitely a better game in that regard, even if it's starting to get somewhat old

No flaws in Civ4?
- Stack of Doom
- Simplistic border expansion, which meant culture could be pretty much neglected in most circumstances
- Late game taking ages due to the trade route recalculations every turn
- A number of techs were worthless unless you got there first or second (i.e. the only thing they gave was a first bonus and/or wonders.), or just dead ends.
- Liberalism bonus tech
- Tech trading
- Metal or no metal early being the difference between life and death
- Using the same mechanic for two different game concepts (happiness and health)
- The slider

I feel they should continue to develop CiV. There are still things that should be worked on. 1UPT, AI diplomacy. Why not one more expansion to earn a bit more? Then move on to CiVI. Learn all you can from V and go into the next edition of civ.

I suppose though it would be better to answer this question after playing BNW a bit.

Why is railroad the best route upgrade we can build? Why can't we have highways/interstates or something beyond mid game tech? Maybe make roads > railroads > highways > automated highways > maglev trains? Each would give an additional movement bonus.

Because railways are better than highways.

Maybe have an upgrade for railways that is high speed rail or something very late in the game, but highways would be a bad upgrade considering that it would be annoying to have to upgrade all those tile improvements. Airports can be better representations of the improvements in transportation technology as well.

Because railways are better than highways.

Maybe have an upgrade for railways that is high speed rail or something very late in the game, but highways would be a bad upgrade considering that it would be annoying to have to upgrade all those tile improvements. Airports can be better representations of the improvements in transportation technology as well.

I beg to differ, I personally think highway/interstates would be much better than rail. Historically rail served its purpose during the 1800's - early 1900's, but around 1950 ish when the interstate system was built, many more people began to travel much easier and faster, hence highways were an upgrade to rail.

"I fooled you, I fooled you, I got pig iron, I got pig iron, I got all pig iron."

Top Bottom