City defence

kkapalk

Warlord
I am currently playing a game with the Huns as one of the civs. I decided to declare war on them at one point and couldn't believe how easily their cities fell. The first two didn't have any health bar at all, they just fell at the first strike. They were only size 1 but surely they should have had some sort of defence? The next city was size 5 and did have a green bar of health, but one shot and this too fell. I did notice that when I took over the first two cities the city health bar went to a mid-way yellow for me instantly. I just cannot understand how these cities were so weak. The only thing I can think of is their happiness affecting things. Does unhappiness decrease city strength? I had become world congress leader and banned the Huns' luxury, and also passed an embargo on them. They must have had a lot of unhappiness before the war started because their capitol kept getting attacked by barbarians. (I had barbarians turned off, so they must have been unhappy citizens converted). Any ideas?
Thanks,
Kev

I am currently playing a game with the Huns as one of the civs. I decided to declare war on them at one point and couldn't believe how easily their cities fell. The first two didn't have any health bar at all, they just fell at the first strike. They were only size 1 but surely they should have had some sort of defence? The next city was size 5 and did have a green bar of health, but one shot and this too fell. I did notice that when I took over the first two cities the city health bar went to a mid-way yellow for me instantly. I just cannot understand how these cities were so weak. The only thing I can think of is their happiness affecting things. Does unhappiness decrease city strength? I had become world congress leader and banned the Huns' luxury, and also passed an embargo on them. They must have had a lot of unhappiness before the war started because their capitol kept getting attacked by barbarians. (I had barbarians turned off, so they must have been unhappy citizens converted). Any ideas?
Thanks,
Kev

There's a few things that can affect a city's strength:
  • You're right about population being one of them.
  • Building a city on a hill.
  • Having a unit garrisoned inside.
  • Having defensive buildings, such as walls, castles and the like. These also increase a city's hit points.

And the Red Fort in BNW (Kremlin in vanilla and G&K) buffs defensive building by 25%.

Top Bottom