What do you think of Rome

What do you think of Rome?

• Total voters

Santa Maria

Warlord
I think Rome needs a small buff, their UA is ok, but I find their UUs a little underpowered.

Especially I don't like the Ballista, it has just a minor bonus. I really only build like 2 or 3 because it is much better to build CBs. I would like to see Ballista having +1 Range as LB, then it would be much more useful. Right now I would rather have some UB, because Catapult is almost equally strong in comparison.

Legion is just 17 to 14 (Sword), which is not much, I would give them Cover, as they were known for their turtle formation. Maybe they should have 18 strength.

I think this because Rome should be stronger in conquering in the classical era. As it is, I only really benefit from using the Legion and for me it is not powerful enough.

What do you think?

Adding range to catapults would totally shift the power balance, way to strong. With iron being revealed at Bronze Working Rome actually got a minor buff.

Legions need buff? are you kidding? for example spearmen have 11 :c5strength:, Persian Immortals have 12 :c5strength:, and hoplites have 13 :c5strength:. Swordsmen have 14 but Legion have 17 :c5strength:. even pikemen -which is medieval unit- don't have that :c5strength:. they also able to build fort and road. they're really OP. so, Rome needs a small nerf.

I think Rome is perfectly fine. It, however, benefits from having neighbours (or rather targets) up close early game, so you can make good use of their UUs. If used properly, you can easily gobble up a half dozen cities in the early game and make up for the loss of useful buildings in it by utilizing their UA (if you annex them ofc). Even after loosing their inital strength advantge, Legions can be used to fortify your territroy by building roads and forts. Ballista is on its own a mediocre unit. But if you instead kill enemies with melee units and then move in your ballistas you have a powerful and highly promoted meele army which can infact take cities quite quickly. You need to hardbuild CBs/XBs afterwards, but this shouldn't be too hard considering you are supposed to be a powerhouse by now.

Only real problems you can face as Rome are having no iron and no early neighbours. Then you are rather screwed.

Their UA also works with puppets. Just so you know.:)

Bronze working reveal iron is awesome. Where could one possibly see the changes in BNW? :/

I played Rome a ton. They indeed need a change.

UA needs a change, because as it is currently it only fits in some games.
Say you have a game where your capital is MUCH better off as a military spammer or wonder spammer, no you are forced to spam buildings to use the UA.

Why not just make it like every city connected to Rome gets +25% production to buildings period.
That way you can play your capital in different ways, and it even synergizes with the Legion road-building.

Their UA also works with puppets. Just so you know.:)

Yeah, but puppets have suboptimal build orders :p That's why I mentioned annex specifically.

Why not just make it like every city connected to Rome gets +25% production to buildings period.
That way you can play your capital in different ways, and it even synergizes with the Legion road-building.

That's... actually a pretty nice suggestion, I support this idea.

I don`t understand why everyone always whines that a Civ needs buffing or debuffing. Why can`t people just take what they`ve got and work with it?

If everyone had their way, EVERY Nation would be super-buffed.

I never worry about this. I just take a nation I like (like England cos i`m English) and work with it, sometimes I take another Civ and give that a try, adapting my methods to their abilities whether `buffed` or not.

Meh.

@Socratus: Everyone wants balanced civilizations. There's no crime in that. Some civilizations are certainly less powerful than others, no matter which strategy you choose to adopt.

East rome, west rome, holy rome, the city of rome, or the holy see of rome?

Rome is quite playable and balanced as it is IMO. I agree with a previous poster that it would be nice to see a UB rather than a ballista, however. I think a building that promotes tourism and/or gold would be accurate. The city of Rome was THE place to be back in the day.

I only play Rome (realizing not using >1 civ is crazy talk to most of you). The reason is largely their UA, which is just great. I'm all about efficiency and you just can't beat it. Also the legions' ability to build roads is cool.

That said, I've never built a balista. Also, having a production bonus for being connected to Rome would be better (plus more historically accurate). One occaisional annoyance is my obsession with creating the buildings in Rome first.

UA for Rome should be the following:

All Roads Lead To Rome
Any city connected to the Capital via road/rail gains a 25% production increase.
Roads have 50% less maintenance cost.

Rome was well known for its massive road network, it would only make sense to make their roads less expensive.

About average. Nothing to really set them apart one way or another.

UA's fault is that its benefit is hidden, so it gets overlook by the majority of players.

UU's are fine for what they do. Legion are essentially Lswords in classical era.

All Roads Lead To Rome
Any city connected to the Capital via road/rail gains a 25% production increase.

Rome was well known for its massive road network, it would only make sense to make their roads less expensive.
I would do it like this; Any city connected to the capital via road gains +1 culture and a 15% production bonus, and capital gains +1 gold.
Also, the Ballista would be replaced with a Public Bath UB that gives +2 happiness.

All Roads Lead To Rome

Exactly.
Being Italian I would really love this change.
We have SO MANY roads here it's a mess. I hope Italy's leader has taken Commerce policy to halve the costs.

The current UA is just fine. It encourages players to get all the available buildings (mostly rush-bought) finished in Rome, making the city "glorious". It also makes Rome more powerful if it expand fast. The Glory of Rome is both powerful in-game and historically accurate.

Legion is great too, and with 4-5 of them, it's easy to rush a nearby civilization. However, with Legions available in Classical Era, Ballistas seem to be a bit redundant. Although it's powerful too, Legions are just enough. It could be changed into a UB like Forum or Public Bath.

I think both Rome's UA, and Legion are good as is, however they really need to buff the Ballista to do something interesting (instead of the reskinned catapult it is now) or replace it with a UB or UI.

Top Bottom