Wow, Japan is broke.

CivAddict2013

Warlord
I love a good challenge. I don't want a game where the AI is a pushover. But this is too much. Japan is broken.

So let me tell you guys about this game. Got France, got off to a good start and built some wonders. But who does the game spawn right next to me? As usual, the warmonger. I'm pretty sure it's coded to do that.

But okay, I'm next to a warmonger. Alright, that's expected. No big deal.

I've got enough money to make a big army, so what's the big deal?

So I make an army of Pikes and Composite bows. I have a pretty big army at that point.

Oda settles right next to me, so I DoW him.

Things seem to be going pretty well, I take his units and eventually go to capture the city. That's where things just all go wrong.

First off I'm throwing my whole army at Oda's city and it doesn't seem to do anything. Usually a couple of Pike's and a couple of Composite bows is enough. But no.

Second of all, Oda seems to have endless units to sling at me. You take out 10 units and seemingly out of nowhere he brings 10 more.

I keep fighting trying to wait for his army to die down.

But then I realized....

Oda is broken.

I realized that; no matter how many units I throw at him I will never win.

Next time, I'm just going to retire at the start of the game and if I see Oda on the map, I'm rerolling.

You are FORCED to reroll if you're next to him. Can't do anything about it.

This is BS.

haha, nothing is broken mate, probably the time u built those wonders he was spawning unit after unit (he is a warmonger after all, you should expect that) ;>

Kill those samurai monkeys !!!!

Tip1: Pay some neighbours to attack him as well.
Tip2: Next time before you DoW him, pay him to attack another neighbour. Then DoW him and get ur money back as well ;>

haha, nothing is broken mate, probably the time u built those wonders he was spawning unit after unit (he is a warmonger after all, you should expect that) ;>

Kill those samurai monkeys !!!!

Tip1: Pay some neighbours to attack him as well.
Tip2: Next time before you DoW him, pay him to attack another neighbour. Then DoW him and get ur money back as well ;>
Yes, but see the problem is that Japan is basically on his own continent. But he decides to settle towards me. There's no one else between Japan and I.

My only friendly Civ is nowhere near Japan.

I just feel that if I'm throwing my entire army at you; at some point your army should die down.

I don't want to say that the AI has unlimited units. But it certainly feels that way.

Both Oda and I have the same exact units, but I just can't beat him.

It's like I kill 10 units and he spawns 10 more. No way I can keep up with that.

I mean, come on, what is he doing? Nothing but spawning units the whole game?

I think japan has bonuses to make his army stronger. If he also added promotions, and opened the honor tree, your units have no chance if they are of the same technological age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to get better at war. You stupidly lose units and your tactics are bad. You have no idea how to siege cities. In short, you fight like the AI.

Japan is not broken, by a far mile, generally they are considered bottom tier civ if I'm not mistaken, even after they got a slight revamp in BnW.

But you made a good many mistakes judging from the way you describe things. First of all, as a Warmonger, expect him to have many units, and with Japans UA that makes his units fight at full strength, don't expect to win easily if you are on same tech level. That is particuarly true if that tech level is late medieval, as this is where his Samurai UU will shine. Thirdly, CiV is strongly biassed towards the defensive game, with strong bonuses for units that defend, and ridiculous city defense values and ranged attacks. Also remember to check whih policies he has taken and what religion he possibly has, both Tradition and some religious beliefs (Goddess Of Protection) increase city defensive properties even further or help their units when fighting close to their cities (Faith Healers, Defender Of The Faith). Taking the war into his lands might have been a bad idea at this stage, or maybe you should have brought some siege weapons to take down his cities - while Trebuchets don't really shine in the game, a number of them can do a considerable impact on a city even with walls and castle.

If you really want to cherry pick, you don't have the waste the time of restarting if you see Japan next to you. You can just go into custom game and pick the starting positions of each civilization.

Yes, but see the problem is that Japan is basically on his own continent. But he decides to settle towards me. There's no one else between Japan and I.

My only friendly Civ is nowhere near Japan.

I just feel that if I'm throwing my entire army at you; at some point your army should die down.

I don't want to say that the AI has unlimited units. But it certainly feels that way.

Both Oda and I have the same exact units, but I just can't beat him.

It's like I kill 10 units and he spawns 10 more. No way I can keep up with that.

I mean, come on, what is he doing? Nothing but spawning units the whole game?

Why do I get the feeling you`re chucking your armies at him without any real planning? If you just throw units willy nilly at him time after time he`ll just keep building more and stop it.

Civ 5 favours preparation.
You need to create a FORCE, get it all together then attack as one whole army or fist. Then you`ll beat him.

You keep chucking out bits at him then you`re playing the AI`s game and yes, he IS just continuously making units to counter what you keep popping out.

Your best bet is make peace and PREPARE next time.

Why do I get the feeling you`re chucking your armies at him without any real planning? If you just throw units willy nilly at him time after time he`ll just keep building more and stop it.

Civ 5 favours preparation.
You need to create a FORCE, get it all together then attack as one whole army or fist. Then you`ll beat him.

You keep chucking out bits at him then you`re playing the AI`s game and yes, he IS just continuously making units to counter what you keep popping out.

Your best bet is make peace and PREPARE next time.

Also, I think that the game offers a pretty serious home field advantage. If you look at the social policies, most of the ones that refer to military are general or for home city defense, I don't think that any are for attacking. Also, you can design your city the way you want it (building up walls and defense buildings in your city, building forts for your guys, etc.). I also think that you have an advantage when you fortify as opposed to attacking. Plus, even if you take a city you have to deal with all of the backlash from the rest of the world and the unhappiness hit.

If Japan is broken, I'd hate to know what Shoshone is.

Early samurai on rough terrain with cover promos are nasty. I've lost a game to Oda even with time to prepare and knowledge that he'll likely attack. The most dangerous time is the t70-t90 window, I think. Mass Samurai vs. CBs is like fighting a charging rhino with mosquitos :) Spears and Horseman don't do much better. Once you have XBs or Knights or Muskets, you should be safe. Well ... safer.

I think he either needs to be bribed or DoW'ed early if he is your direct neighbor. Unless you have very favourable terrain, similar to a certain deity challenge in the S&T forum ;)

OT: In my very first Civ 5 game I was fighting Oda's samurai in a large jungle with swords/cats. At that point I was thinking, wow, Civ 5 combat is hard :lol:

Also, I think that the game offers a pretty serious home field advantage. If you look at the social policies, most of the ones that refer to military are general or for home city defense, I don't think that any are for attacking. Also, you can design your city the way you want it (building up walls and defense buildings in your city, building forts for your guys, etc.). I also think that you have an advantage when you fortify as opposed to attacking. Plus, even if you take a city you have to deal with all of the backlash from the rest of the world and the unhappiness hit.

Agreed. That`s why whenever the AI takes my city I sigh cos I know if I don`t get it back straight away it`ll be a devil to retake later.

Also, to the OP, bring some siege engines too, but supported by troops if you hope to take Japan.

The AI certainly knows to come in heavy when it wants to take a city.

If Japan is broken, I'd hate to know what Shoshone is.
Try this for fun: Shoshone + Great Wall + Himeji Castle + Red Fort.

And no, I'm not making it up, that happened in my last game. Fortunately I was on another continent and didn't have to care. :lol:

As usual, post a save file so somebody can teach you the tactics of this game. Without it, this is just more white noise.

Your problem was not having xbows. If war is any kind of a concern then beeline xbows. You should not have composites and pikes. You should have xbows long before civil service.

With that kind of attitude you will be rerolling everytime you find out you're next to a warmonger xD

On average a warmonger AI will have more units sitting around than an peaceful Ai.

Because they like war.

And so, get used to it instead, and fight that war out. xD

Whatever doesn't kill you only can make you stronger and harder.

On game setup, select the following ai civs:

Babylon
Ethiopia
Celts
Siam
China

...you won't get a religion, but you will win!

Lol, YOU were the one that declared war on HIM! I don't think you can blame Oda for not just handing you his cities.

Top Bottom