BUFFY & HOF Mod Releases

Probably answered already, but the thread is too long...

I have BUG and it seems I cannot open BUFFY saves with that. So if I want to get BUFFY to perhaps one day take part in some HoF event, but at the same time I also want to take part in S&T forum games and post saves there that anyone can open, is there a good way to switch between BUG/BUFFY for different games?

BUFFY installs as a mod under the prog files directory. It has a custom DLL. BUG can be installed two ways (single player = custom assets, multi-player = mod under prog files).

To load a BUFFY save, you need BUFFY installed. Further, to lodge a HOF game, you need to select 'locked modified assets' - that setting will ignore anything in custom assets and the two BUFFY / BUG won't interfere with each other.

I see! So just load the mod whenever I want to play HoF (or open a BUFFY save) and BUG won't interfere. Then unload mod if I want to play forum game with a save anyone can open. Simple! :)

Further, to lodge a HOF game, you need to select 'locked modified assets' - that setting will ignore anything in custom assets .

I don't think that is correct, ruff. I believe that is a config setting you are referring too.

Anyway, this is what I've found from my experience. BUFFY will run okay with BUG in custom assets. However, BULL can conflict with saves already created elsewhere via BUFFY, but otherwise I can load BUFFY with BULL installed.

Keep in mind that BUFFY uses older versions of BUG/BULL (which will hopefully be remedied in the near future) so there may be some conflicts there. However, again, I can load BUFFY with BUG/BULL in custom assets and even the BULL DLL. However, I cannot load BUFFY saves that way, e.g., a GOTM game.

Ideally though I try to avoid having BUG and BULL active when I run BUFFY regardless. I switch my custom assets folder easily between....say...a vanilla CA folder and BUG CA folder, interestingly via a tool that mr. ruff created some time ago. I also use .bat executables that easily switch my DLLs with a click (got that from Dhoom)

Again, you should not have a problem "loading" BUFFY mod with BUG in CA or even BULL for the matter, if you want to...say...play your own HOF game. However, you will likely not be able to load a GOTM or SGOTM game or some other pre-created BUFFY save. Why that happens I don't know, but basically BUG does not conflict with BUFFY.

edit: Actually, come to think of it, the fact that those saves have "lock modified assets" on before you load them is the cause of the conflict with those saves, but that is not an "issue"

Hi. I am interested in trying this MOD out. But can I download it as a non .exe file? I've tried to look but could not find it...

Hi. I am interested in trying this MOD out. But can I download it as a non .exe file? I've tried to look but could not find it...
It is only available as an install file. It's just InnoSetup. Installs the mod files in the correct location. Saves tons of time explaining.

I have installed BtS and BUFFY-3.19.003 on a MS Windows 8.1 system.

The Autolog functionality doesn't appear to write anything to the autolog.txt file in the Log folder. Also, there is no Autolog folder.

None of the BUFFY settings I set in game persist into the following game session.

Anyone have suggestions on fixing either of these two issues?

Sun Tzu Wu

It sounds like you don't have write access to the required folder. You might also have to create the autolog folder - that might fix that issue.

I fixed the auto-logging issue mentioned in post #588 above:

In the BUG (BUFFY) Mod Options, tab Logging, uncheck "Use Default File Name", Path must be changed to the full path of the desired folder and File must be changed to the desired file name, even if it is the default "autolog.txt".

I'll need more time to determine why the BUFFY configuration changes made in game are not persistent through game sessions.

ruff_hi, thank you very much for your suggestions!

孫子武

I verified that files in BUFFY sub-folder UserSettings were being written to with the changes I made in my last game session. Next I wondered whether they are getting reset by BtS/BUFFY on BtS start up.

So, I made a backup copy of the entire sub-folder UserSettings. The settings were retrieved correctly in the next game session. I again verified that the UserSettings sub-folder was not being reset.

Unless simply making a backup copy of UserSettings fixed the issue, it "fixed itself".

In any case, BUFFY-3.19.003 seems to have some start up issues that seem to fix themselves after a few game sessions are played with some settings changed.

孫子武

Autologging stopped working again:

* Autosaving...
* Error in firstContact event handler <bound method AutoLogEvent.onFirstContact of <autologEventManager.AutoLogEvent object 0x0F840F10>>
* Error in cultureExpansion event handler <bound method AutoLogEvent.onCultureExpansion of <autologEventManager.AutoLogEvent object 0x0F840F10>>
* Error in BeginPlayerTurn event handler <bound method AutoLogEvent.onBeginPlayerTurn of <autologEventManager.AutoLogEvent object 0x0F840F10>>

Nothing is being written into the autolog file. I tried toggling it on via ALT-L. Tried ALT-E to send a player message to the log, but nothing seems to cause log output now.

Anyone have a suggestion on fixing this?

&#23403;&#23376;&#27494;

I just realized that although I used "Run as Administrator" to install all of Civilization Complete, possibly including the 3.19 BtS patch (not sure about that), I know that none of the HOF/BUFFY mods were installed using "Run as Administrator". I just deleted them and installed them using "Run as Administrator". I will report later whether that makes a difference in the autolog issue I've mentioned in the post above.

&#23403;&#23376;&#27494;

Just to be sure (though not going to the extreme of uninstalling everything Civ4 yet), I uninstalled BtS Patch 3.19 and reinstalled it via "Run as Administrator". Next I deleted BUFFY-3.19.003 and reinstalled it via "Run as Administrator". I'll see whether this will work; if not, I plan to uninstall Civ4 Complete and delete the mods if necessary and reinstall everything via "Run as Administrator".

As a reminder, I'm running a MS Windows 8.1 system.

&#23403;&#23376;&#27494;

The changes I made in the above two posts seem to have worked. Autolog is working again.

&#23403;&#23376;&#27494;

Hello!

I'd love to start playing again but can't seem to get this to work.

I'm getting the same "HOF MOD ERROR" message so many others have posted when trying to start.

I read http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=vista but I don't understand admin account and I'm hoping that is what is making it still not work for me.

Step 1a is done.
Step 2 is done but I don't think I did it right. I don't understand the note.
Note:
To perform the following procedure, you must be logged into a client computer as a member of the local administrators group. You cannot be logged in with the computer (or built-in) administrator account because Admin Approval Mode does not apply to this account.
Step 3 is done - I did it with "show settings for all users" while trying to figure out the note so this may not be done right either.
Step 4 I don't really understand either.

I've always run everything as the main/admin account (I think) and don't know how to create another one or switch between them.

My problem seems to be lack of Windows knowledge and not a problem with the mod but I'm hoping since so many people have had similar problems it is just something easy you already know the answer to. On the plus side, if it isn't an easy fix I think I'm due for a new computer in a few months which hopefully will have a different windows then. :)

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I really tried to figure it out myself but am just stuck.

The section you referred to in section 2 is instructing you to create a second user profile with administrator rights.

Click the control panel.
Click "add or remove user accounts" link.
(Alternatively, hit the windows flag on your keyboard.
Then click on the image Icon for your user login.
Click on the "manage another account" link.)

Then Click on the "create a new account" link.
Name the new account.
Click administrator.
Click the Create Account button.

Doing this part of step 2 will basically make step 4 irrelavent.

Not to undermine Shulec's brilliance, but Step 1 & 2 should only be needed really, and step 2 is not about setting up another account, which is unnecessary.

Not sure about Windows 8, which I understand is just as much of an abortion as Vista was. I hope to just bypass it entirely in my lifetime.

Do step 1 and step 2. However, when you install anything (Civ and Mods) you should right click on executables and choose "run as administrator".

Changing folder permissions in Step 1 is important, so make sure you follow those directions precisely. Then change the properties on your BTS executable(Step 2) such that 'run as administrator" always pops up and you should be good to go.

If that does not work, we need more info about your OS.

(WindowsXP mode is unnecessary)

Hello!

I'd love to start playing again but can't seem to get this to work.

Out of interest are you running a Steam version of Civ?

After a 5year break I recently got back into Civ and had major trouble with this error. I tried all the fixes you listed, nothing worked.
After some great help from Denniz, I was able to find the pop-up error all boiled down to an incorrect (completely missing) install path in my registry.

If you are running a Steam version, send me a pm and I can give some more advice. If not, best of luck!

I installed Civ IV Complete and all three current HOF modules on a MS Windows 8.1 system a few months using the HOF MS Windows Vista/7 instructions without any issues. I have used BtS several times since and submitted a few HOF games from this system; it has worked flawlessly; even better than Vista/7; full screen mode seems to now on MS Windows 8.1. I have not tried Map Finder on it yet though. Also, I have not yet tried Civ IV Vanilla or Warlords on MS Windows 8.1.

&#23403;&#23376;&#27494;

Top Bottom