Fertility rites?

Pengui6668

Chieftain
I've read a billion threads about religion, and this belief seems to have both the most lovers and haters out of every other pantheon belief. Some say "10% growth is always a good thing!" while others say "It doesn't help until way too late, and even then, it's marginal".

I doubt I'll get a consensus, but what else would I go assuming I have my pick of pantheon? The only other one I ever go for is messenger of the gods, but even then, if I'm not going extremely wide, what's the point?

What do you guys go? If FR, why? If it's your most hated panth belief, also why?

I'm usually skeptical of any Pantheon not offering Faith, unless I've got some other strong Faith supply. Taking a pantheon that doesn't supply Faith just leaves you without a religion, until someone else pushes you out.

Honestly though, I find that early game it's Happiness that's my serious constraint on Growth, not the maximum speed at which I can pump out new citizens. I'd prefer a Faith/Culture or Faith pantheon to grow my religion, let me get Tithe/Pagodas/etc. up and supporting my Civ, rather than a flat 10% Growth.

FR is ok if there isn't anything better. I'll choose it sometimes if my land isn't well suited to a particular pantheon. But it's not a priority in that case...I wouldn't be rushing a shrine just to get FR.

I'd always go with a Faith pantheon if available but after that FR is a very solid choice.

The benefit isn't that you grow bigger(Which you do) it's that you grow faster which really helps the most.

I've been reading that it's only 10% of your surplus food, which turns out not to be that much at all. That's why people have moved away from it

It is only 10% of food surplus, so if you are otherwise running 15 food surplus (reasonably healthy level), your surplus will rise to 16.5. It matters, but not as much as folks hope/wish it did.

God-King is much better in my opinion. FR will probably give 1-2 food at most while God-King gives 1 food and 1 of several other yields.

Normally one would pick a faith producing pantheon. If you do pick Fertility Rites you can have a potential %75 growth in your capital(Fertility Rites + Swords into Plowshares + Landed elite + tradition finisher + we love the king day), and %65 in all other cities.

I play with legendary resources, where one of the terrain specific pantheons will almost always be better than the generic Fertility Rites.

I consider Fertility rites the equivalent of 10% compound interest on my growth rate. Uncle Albert says that compound interest is the strongest force in the Universe. It only takes a little to make a big difference.

Compound interest on savings is figured on both income and what you already have,

Compound interest on city growth is figured on excess food, which ignores the total amount of food you have already produced in earlier turns and ignores the amount of food you produce on the current turn that is needed to support the population you already have.

If you have a city with 10 population and produce 20 food, you have 0 excess food. Fertility rites will increase only the excess food and does not apply to the 20 you are currently producing. If you are currently producing only 30 food, then Fertility Rites will apply only to the 10 food or whatever you are producing in excess to what is required to support your current population.

That is not the strongest force in the Civ universe!

Fertility rites isn't that bad, really. There are other pantheons you could choose instead that can benefit you more though. New maps are usually different than the old ones.

I usually go with whatever terrain pantheon is most abundant. My favorite is Desert folklore or the one for faith from tundra.

But if you have a concentration of one type of resource (salt, wheat, stone/marble) then go with the one that corresponds with it.

Fertility rights is crap IMO. You need 20 surplus food to get 2 extra food. As if that is going to help out. I think that Sun God is much better since you get a bunch of extra food all game long regardless of if you have surplus or not.

Pantheons that provide faith are best.

Definitely a last resort pantheon if there is no appropriate resources around.

As noted above I think God King is probably a fair bit better and I might switch to it in such situations.

Top Bottom