News: TSG136 Announcement!

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 136
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the 136th game in the GOTM V Training Series! This Series will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features from Civ5's expansions and DLCs in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread.

Must Read!
We would like to ask you to abide by our most sacred rule: Don’t replay any turns! If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to 1 turn. In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous save and play it as closely to how you played it the first time. Please let Leif, Knowtalent or me know (either in the forums or through Private Message) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.

Civ V BNW - TSG136 Details:
Player (You): - Catherine - Russia
Victory Condition: Domination but all other VCs are enabled.
Difficulty: Emperor
Civs/City-States (including player): 6/12
Map Type/Size: Oval/Small
Game pace: Standard

Game options:
Start - Ancient Era
Enabled - Raging Barbarians, Quick Combat, Quick Movement

(Regardless of starting options, you may turn on/off Quick Combat/Quick Movement using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.279.
Game Requirements: Genghis Khan DLC, Wonders of the Ancient World DLC, Gods and Kings expansion, Brave New World Expansion.

Russian Unique Attributes:

Spoiler :
UA: Siberian Riches - Strategic Resources provide +1 production and Horse, Iron and Uranium Resources provide double quantity.

UB: Krepost - Replaces the Barracks and provides +15 XP for all Units. Culture and Gold costs of acquiring new tiles reduced by 25% in this city.

UU: Cossacks - Mounted Unit capable of fighting toe-to-toe with contemporary infantry units. This Unit replaces Cavalry and has a combat bonus when fighting enemies that have already taken damage.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with each individual TSG -- Must Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
Spoiler :
Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

TSG Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any game-related info once you open and play the save. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread: This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. We encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshot. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

Results and Congratulations thread: We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). We will issue medals to the top 3 winners (based on earliest date finished). There are no long-term records kept for these results, they are just given out to top finishers to reward their efforts.

File Upload System
We have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note: you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends July 1st, 2016.

The save will be available for download on June 1st, 2016, midnight Central Standard time (UTC -6:00) in the US.

The Save can be found here.

I am liking the look of this. I have't done a domination game for a while now and I cannot remember the last time I played as Russia. Feeling a little deflated after my TSG 134 defeat so hopefully this will be just the ticket.

Early Faith CS or ruin would be good for a early pantheon I think desert folklaw could be a good shout again.

I think I am going to open honour for the barb culture. What are people thinking wide vs tall? I normally go tall tradition and raze everything but the other civ capitals but thinks may go 3 city start and then capture all the AI cities and keep them with liberty social policy.

I think I am going to open honour for the barb culture. What are people thinking wide vs tall? I normally go tall tradition and raze everything but the other civ capitals but thinks may go 3 city start and then capture all the AI cities and keep them with liberty social policy.

Keep in mind the settings. This is a small Oval map with 6 Civs and 12 CSs. Domination should feel faster with less opponents. I suggest a few practice openings with these settings to see how your strategies feel before trying this TSG save.

HR

I think even normal archers should do the trick, unless you run into something annoying like a walls+hill city in the jungle.

haha, for some of you this will be a quickie, that's for sure. for others it might let them get some easier aggression out after that Assyria game. but i still have some hiccups in there for those who arent quite up to the sub-100 speeds.

but hey, feel free to self-impose some difficulties. i don't mind, haha.

Based on my test game, I would bet that there is a strong possibility of running into a city, on a hill, in a jungle, in a choke point.

So the questions that come to my mind are:
1. Do you move your settler to settle on a hill?
2. Is it worth founding a pantheon/religion? (Probably not)
3. How many cities do you found before taking over cities?

I'm no pro, but I would say:

1. Yes - Early production will help in this scenario.
2. Nope
3. 0, 1, or 2

In my test game, there just wasn't much space for cities. I struggled to find a spot for 3 and ended up founding the 3rd one just to control a choke point between a lake and a CS.

There are a lot of CS in a small space. If you can meet them first and get the 30gp, you can get halfway to the 500 for a settler buy. I plan to get 200+ from that and sell my first lux to fund the one and only settler when we go for real. Once again, I'm no pro, so I don't know if this is an optimal idea or not.

Oh another option is, Honor or Liberty?
My heart says Honor for building up your army quicker
My head says liberty to get +1 production, and an early worker.

If anyone thinks they will do this sub 100 turns, I would love to see a video of that to see what I do wrong when try domination victories.

Honor takes too long to start, liberty has a free city basically that can pump units. Also you don't need science for this game, just pump units and win.

I hope this isn't one of those times where you don't get horses in the first city.

Archers/CB can do it, but I think CA is faster due to getting logistics allowing hit and run and being on a lower tech.

The expo is mainly to increase supply cap for the first capital, and to find horses like vadalaz said. Liberty expo is pretty much free while honor requires hard building it.

Well scouting will be the key to a decent win. Oval maps tend not to have choke points and I'm going to assume Chariots will be good enough assuming there are any Horses around

I kinda want to go back and take another whack at 134 being more patient and just understanding it was bound to be a slog. I had a good thing going and quit on it. Ah well...

This one? Settle the silver one to the SW IMO. Love to do Honor, but not going to get through H-C-A so might do Liberty to open up quicker and git'er done.

Keep in mind the settings. This is a small Oval map with 6 Civs and 12 CSs. Domination should feel faster with less opponents. I suggest a few practice openings with these settings to see how your strategies feel before trying this TSG save.

HR

Thanks HR, I have tried a test game and got a T202 victory but have a feeling I still have a lot to learn based on the target of sub 100 which some people are talking about.

I opened honour for the barb culture and had couple of encampments as barb farms. Then Liberty left side for free settler, didn't bother with right side and went Honor left side and then straight for commerce. Built Scout, monument, archer then library and rushed National College which solved my main issue with higher difficulty of falling behind in science.

Took first capital around T90 once I had a decent army, couple of horses, 6 Composite Bows and 3 pike men. I was actually surprised how effective the pikemen were, might build more of those and less composite bows next time.

Annexed the first city and run buy empire as 3 city, razed all other cities and puppetted the rest used workers to pre build roads to the cities which I intended to capture for speed of bring units to the front line. spammed trading posts in the puppeted cities.

Thinking next time, more pikemen less CBs, maybe Patronage as opposed to Commerce. Not sure whether honour opener paid off or not in gained culture.

Any tips anyone? Not used to early wins at higher difficulty, I am normally lazy and wait for either battleships or Artillery and tear it up late game.

Top Bottom