spamming settlers

ericball

Warlord
I appologise if this has previously been covered.

It takes current pop * 10 food for a city to grow 1 pop pre 1500 BC (Ultimate Tech Tree). And a settler (20 hammers) drops the city 2 pop (1 pop for Republics). Rebuilding the city after it pumps out the settler takes a significant number of turns. Pop 1 -> 2 and 2 -> 3 each taking 5 turns if working grassland exclusively.

However, last night I discovered that population growth happens after the settler is created. So in my captial (or any other city with 2 grass & 2 forest) I can do the following:
  1. work 2 grass for 5 turns to grow from size 2 to size 3
  2. work 2 forests and 1 grass for 5 turns to build the settler and accumulate 10 food
  3. settler drops the size from 3 to 1, but then the 10 food puts the city back to size 2
  4. wash, rinse, repeat
Note: you can also rush the settler after you have accumulated 10 food.

After 1400 BC, the requirements for growth drop to 9 food * current pop, but this doesn't change the process.

I appologise if this has previously been covered.

It takes current pop * 10 food for a city to grow 1 pop pre 1500 BC (Ultimate Tech Tree). And a settler (20 hammers) drops the city 2 pop (1 pop for Republics). Rebuilding the city after it pumps out the settler takes a significant number of turns. Pop 1 -> 2 and 2 -> 3 each taking 5 turns if working grassland exclusively.

However, last night I discovered that population growth happens after the settler is created. So in my captial (or any other city with 2 grass & 2 forest) I can do the following:
  1. work 2 grass for 5 turns to grow from size 2 to size 3
  2. work 2 forests and 1 grass for 5 turns to build the settler and accumulate 10 food
  3. settler drops the size from 3 to 1, but then the 10 food puts the city back to size 2
  4. wash, rinse, repeat
Note: you can also rush the settler after you have accumulated 10 food.

After 1400 BC, the requirements for growth drop to 9 food * current pop, but this doesn't change the process.

I wrote it maybe one year ago in the 2k forums, and it is really old. I wrote it also in these forums, and you can find it. Nothing you can't find in the archive..

It is one of the older staples of CivRev strategy. We've known about this for a while, but I guess it hasn't been emphasized that much over here as much as it is over on 2Kforums.

Top Bottom